News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Another 450SE

Started by Casey, 05 April 2012, 11:45 AM

Type17

Fair enough, the current antenna and radio are fully automatic, so the switch is/was for something else, or for an earlier (more primitive) audio set-up.
'76 350SE in Silver-Green

koan

Quote from: Type17 on 09 April 2012, 04:33 PM
Fully auto - antenna contains simple circuit which reverses the polarity to the motor and times the raising and lowering of the mast, based on a simple trigger from turning the radio on or off. Electric Hirschmanns have this design

Not quite. There are two versions of the Hirschmann on 116s, one is just auto up/down with radio on/off, second version is fully auto with incremental up/down (never seen one of these, just the wiring diagram).

The simple auto version is classic bit of German design, beautifully engineered and constructed. Has a mechanical 'counter' that ticks off revs of the drive wheel that opens and closes contacts. Don't know about the improved version.

Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

Type17

Quote from: koan on 10 April 2012, 07:04 AMNot quite. There are two versions of the Hirschmann on 116s, one is just auto up/down with radio on/off, second version is fully auto with incremental up/down (never seen one of these, just the wiring diagram).

The simple auto version is classic bit of German design, beautifully engineered and constructed. Has a mechanical 'counter' that ticks off revs of the drive wheel that opens and closes contacts. Don't know about the improved version.

Well, there you go, there are four types  :)  - actually, the auto with manual increment would be handy when going into low head-clearance areas, like multi-storey car parks or near low-hanging trees/shrubs - I sometimes turn off my radio on narrow rural lanes (to lower the antenna) because the antenna is sited on the left rear quarter, even on RHD cars, which means that it may get caught on a particularly bushy Irish hedge...
'76 350SE in Silver-Green

Casey

Quote from: koan on 10 April 2012, 07:04 AM
Not quite. There are two versions of the Hirschmann on 116s, one is just auto up/down with radio on/off, second version is fully auto with incremental up/down (never seen one of these, just the wiring diagram).

I believe the second version is what's on my '77, '79, and '80 (rear-mounted).  They all go up and down with radio power, but are adjustable via a switch on the dash where the cruise control switch used to be on the old models (cruise control relocated to a stalk off the column).  My '74 has a manual on the front.