News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

Andrew McCarthy drives a W116 in Ireland

Started by Type17, 31 May 2016, 06:50 AM

Type17

I spotted this article/3-min video on the BBC Autos website and thought it might be of interest here.

It's a bit of fun, and looks like it was sponsored by the Irish Tourist board, but it probably wasn't (they'd have made sure it wasn't done in the depths of a damp winter!) - he's just a fan of Ireland. If you don't know him, he's an American actor who starred in 80's movies such as Mannequin and Weekend at Bernie's, who is more of a director these days.

He's driving a '76 280SE which was originally a UK car (like my W116, the ZV-series registration marks it out as an import).

http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20160530-andrew-mccarthy-goes-in-search-of-irelands-magic-road
'76 350SE in Silver-Green

Beastie

Thanks for sharing. I'm from Belfast originally so I enjoyed it. And by further coincidence I'm a fan of 80's movies and I've seen Weekend at Bernie's about 1000 times. I've often wondered what it would be like to own a W116 back home and how it would be on the roads. How do you keep the windows from fogging up?
1979 280SEL

"She's built like a steakhouse, but she handles like a bistro."

Malaysian

1977 280SE (M)
1977 280SE (M)
1978 280S (M)
1982 280SE (A) W126

2007 Porsche Cayman S
2010 BMW 320d SE
2012 Toyota Alphard 3.5GL MPV

Type17

Quote from: Beastie on 31 May 2016, 07:50 AM...I've often wondered what it would be like to own a W116 back home and how it would be on the roads. How do you keep the windows from fogging up?

Growing up, I do remember that many cars were fogged up on rainy days, but the W116 was the one of the best cars on the road, and its heating and ventilation were probably vastly superior to other cars of the day, and it is still very capable by today's standards - I've never had any issues, even though my car doesn't have A/C.
'76 350SE in Silver-Green

floyd111

Great find! Reminds me how cool it must be to cruise a W116 through Ireland.
When the time comes to visit ireland again, I'll make sure to find some of you there!

shaggy

Me and the missus took the 280SE to Lake Shannon and her fathers birthplace in November 2015.

Have to say I thought the roads were better than in England or France. Also, it was nice not to have some impatient git rammed up your exhaust pipe every mile of the way.

Even though it rained non-stop, the heater coped admirably - and there is ingress round both screens that, in extreme cases, leads to wet carpets.

Funnily enough, it now transpires that my wife is related to a Hollywood actor (not Andrew McCarthy) who shall remain nameless!

Peter

ptashek

Nice find. I think I've seen that 280SE around town a few times.
And as for fogged up windows - funnily enough the old Benz copes with it miles better than my reasonably modern daily driver.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE