News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

And I will drive 500 miles..

Started by Mick74, 20 June 2021, 05:34 PM

Mick74

Apologies for ripping off the Proclaimers and their song of the same title.
Nevertheless, I just wanted to say that I brought my car on a 500 mile round trip to Donegal, Ireland as I was there with friends for 4 days of hiking in the hills and mountains. The car was filled with bags, hiking gear, wet boots and socks etc; parked in car parks and on the side of country roads for hours, just like a car should.
No issues, a great reaction and conversation starter and 17.25mpg (Euro). Drove 200 miles home today in 3 hours 45 minutes on mostly 2 lane roads. No sparing the horses. A great few days all round.
A lovely moment in a car park yesterday, as I saw a man and his son admire the car and then pose beside it for photos. I didn't approach them or say anything, as I just preferred to watch from a distance. My car certainly wouldn't win any concours awards, but people love to see them so, hopefully, more of us can get our cars out this summer on the road and clock up some miles. I definitely intend to!
1979 6.9 #6475

raueda1

Great story!  I love this stuff.  Driving those 2 lane roads must have been a delight.  The 6.9 ride really is something unique, so much better than anything since IMO.  It's just smooth and calm yet handling is still amazing for such a big beast.  We've only been going backwards since then with harsh "sport ride" buttons, low profile tires that transmit every pebble to your backside and hopeless electronics.  These cars really are made to be driven, and there's no reason they can't be once everything is sorted.  I'm gearing up for a 5000+ mile cross-USA trip in August.  Can't wait!  Cheers,
-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0