News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

an invitation for YOU to participate

Started by OzBenzHead, 28 April 2006, 02:37 AM

OzBenzHead

Fellow W116 lovers:

I am embarking upon a project the outcome of which should, I hope, be a book on the W116 series.

As I am a small, independent publisher - as well as being an editor and occasional ghostwriter, and a book designer - this will be my project from start to finish. There will be no hierarchy of middlemen after a cut of the action, so I can offer the finished book at a lower cost than would be likely through standard channels. I expect it to be a limited edition, available only on direct order and not sold through bookshops. Distribution and promotion will be through forums such as this, and through M-B clubs. Contributors will be offered very special purchase prices.

Now, I'm sure it's been done before today, but this one will be different from any (of the many) I've seen.

So many M-B books claim to be the "complete story" of this or that model, or the brand, or the company ... and few meet those claims with any thoroughness.

My intent is to cover the entire story of the W116 from conception, through the design and development, to production of the first and last examples of the series. For that sort of coverage I'll need access to the DC Archives - for which I've applied. (I plan to spend time in Germany late this year for that very purpose.)

But I want to take it further than just another history from the technical, historical, and official angles; I want to include owners' stories and experiences, their likes (and dislikes!) of their 116s, and their photos as well.

If anyone reading this post is at all keen to have their W116 story included in this volume, please contact me via e-mail or PM.
[img width=340 height=138][url="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png"]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/url][/img]

Mforcer

Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

OzBenzHead

Quote from: 450SE on 28 April 2006, 04:37 AM
My hand is up! :)

Noted  - and thanks!  I can see the book fattening up already!   ;D
[img width=340 height=138][url="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png"]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/url][/img]

michaeld

Here's a fun sentence: Okay, Gordon, are you gonna write about writing, or are you going to start writing the stuff you're writing about?

My car isn't in the same league as Big Richard's (although, Benz afficiandos would be able to immediately recognize that they share a common chassis!), so my car's picture may not be worth the thousand words that his is.  But I have my hand up for the book!

As you develop more direction, you might tell us what your angling for so we can offer contributions.  In my "thank you" note to 450SE (in the thread you started) you have what would amount to my introduction for such a book: the marvelous way that the w116 continues to connect people from all over the world.  Heck, you might even consider using posts from the forum to either introduce or illustrate sections.

I can guarantee that I would buy your book; I would likely buy ANY book I found dedicated to 116s!

Good luck.  Wiggle your fingers every now and then to avoid writer's cramp!
Mike

OzBenzHead

Quote from: michaeld on 28 April 2006, 05:25 AM
Here's a fun sentence: Okay, Gordon, are you gonna write about writing, or are you going to start writing the stuff you're writing about?

Mike: Thanks for your response!

And, yes, I've actually started drafting some material and doing some major background research.

QuoteMy car isn't in the same league as Big Richard's (although, Benz afficiandos would be able to immediately recognize that they share a common chassis!), so my car's picture may not be worth the thousand words that his is.

As far as I am concerned, a 116 is a 116 - for the purposes of the project. It will be up to individual contributors to opine about their own particular model/s within the series, and to sing their praises (or otherwise).

QuoteBut I have my hand up for the book!

You've been added to the list. How encouraging it is to get such rapid and positive responses! That makes me feel obligated now to pursue the project with even greater enthusiasm, as I feel I have an obligation to those who've opted in. Just what I need to prod me along!

QuoteAs you develop more direction, you might tell us what your angling for so we can offer contributions.

I certainly shall. Mind you, a project of the scope envisioned is not going to mature overnight; I've already been considering it for about six months, and for the past three months have been making notes, drafting potential structures, etc.

QuoteIn my "thank you" note to 450SE (in the thread you started) you have what would amount to my introduction for such a book: the marvelous way that the w116 continues to connect people from all over the world.

I thought along those lines as I read your post. There are also quite a few other paeans of yours that have had me thinking "book material". Now that you've boarded the train, I'll review those pieces and discuss them with you.

QuoteHeck, you might even consider using posts from the forum to either introduce or illustrate sections.

Oh I had, I had already! I was just waiting for some reactions once I announced the project; now I have to sift through those pieces and discuss their possible use (modified or not) with their authors and with Admin Michael.

QuoteGood luck.  Wiggle your fingers every now and then to avoid writer's cramp!

Oh yes - I do that every half hour (it's automatic as I spend so many hours a day/week at the keyboard). I never sit longer than an hour without going for a short walk around the house or garden, wiggling and shaking bits that otherwise sit too still.  I discovered, about 15 years ago, that the best way to avoid RSI and its relatives was to ditch all the Occupational Health and Safety / Ergonomics manuals and experiment to find what works best for me. My system is less than conventional, but works just dandy.

Okay, now - back to the job (another author's book on sex and drugs and alternative lifestyles tonight - one of the "hazards" of living between Nimbin and Byron Bay)!

::)

michaeld

Ozbenzhead,
Anything I can do to help, old buddy.  Of course, you are entirely free to use anything I've posted, and I'm sure that most (if not all) the contributors would loooovee to pick up that w116 coffee table book and turn to their wise and witty words immortalized!

And Big Richard, I'm glad you are still in one piece.  I sympathize with you re: your friend, and understand to at least a limited degree what you went through.  When I got out of the Army, I went through a "crazy phase" myself: I drove my motorcycle like a maniac - and barely escaped terrible accidents a BUNCH of times, and nobody had to ask me twice for a fight.  Part of that was due to the stress of having been completely uprooted from military life to civilian life, and no longer having people I'd shared nearly every moment of the past few years with all of a sudden just out of my life.

And yeah, I also understand what you're talking about re: working on your car keeping you sane.  Some years back, my injured knee gave out from being on my feet too much (requiring a 9 hour surgery!), my company canned me, and my fiancee broke up with me - all in the span of about two weeks.  I became depressed without even realizing it, and the thing that kept me from returning to a bad place in my life was ... my dog.  Taking care of him took care of me.  He was a living presence that kept me company at a time when I needed that.  God gives us what we need to get by - even if "getting by" means being like the kitty in that famous photo captioned, "Hang in there, baby!"  When you're depressed, you need a reason to face another day.

You're certainly not alone, and you aint any crazier than most of the rest of us!  I'm glad your car offered you an outlet through your grief.

But hey, you've got a nice ride there, Big Richard - and, dare I say it given this particular thread: someone could almost write a book about a story like yours.

Quote from: Big Richard on 29 April 2006, 11:48 AM
I do thank god im still here, and had the 6.9 to keep me sane during the last 8 months.

It seems to me that's what owning a W116 (or any other older Benz) is about...something to keep you sane, and drive for the sheer joy it provides.

And by the way, my hand is up too, though I'm with Richard, I'm not entirely sure what I'll contribute!

oscar

Good Luck OBH.  I love your angle and approach re: owner's experiences etc, beyond the tech stuff. 

I have one contribution (of sorts) as you'll have to do the legwork so to speak to get the facts.  There's a myriad of "famous", notable or unique 116's from movie appearances to notable owners that could be included or mentioned eg, such as Gough Whitlam (former sacked PM of Oz) rolling up to the steps at old parliament house in a 450sel when he made the "God save the queen, because nothing will save the Govenor General", speech. 

My main example though would be of an article I read in Time magazine in 1989/90 about a wealthy Arab (not sure what country or if he was royalty, or oil baron) that had 7 116's, one for each day of the week.   What made these cars so unique was that each was matched to one of the 7 colours of the rainbow.  Each had the model label removed from the trunk and replaced with an identically fonted day badge. 

Two images remain in my mind from this article. Firstly, the 7 differently coloured ROYGBIV cars lined up. Secondly, a close up of the trunk of say MONDAY, which was all red including the interior of the trunk and the red AK47.  Similarly TUESDAY, would've been orange with orange AK47 strapped in the orange trunk.  Talk about customising.

Anyone heard of this before.  I've tried searching a few times from a few years ago but am a bit light on details to start.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

OzBenzHead

Hey, Oscar - that's an interesting story about the ROYGBIV fleet; I must research it. Many thanks!

Also, the
Quote"famous", notable or unique 116's from movie appearances to notable owners that could be included ...
angle: although to some degree that one has been covered by other writers, I'm sure there are many instances that would be fresh. I particularly like your reference to Gough's arrival for his "God save the queen ..." speech - that just has to go in!

I should also consult with Paul Denyer, the chap who maintains the 'M-B in the Movies' web site (we are in occasional contact, as we both own W112 300SE coupes, and I send him the occasional movie note).

If you have any more inspirations, I'm all ears (or eyes, or ...).

PS: Is "Oscar" (like the new handle, BTW) the name of your 116?

oscar

I never thought about the name Oscar for my androgynous car.  Still needs refinement before the passion pop swings down from the shed roof to smash over the grill and "godspeed" is proclaimed to all those that ride in him/her.  :)

Re: the ROYGBIV 116's, no real luck except Adnan Khashoggi is a suspect with a Time mag cover story in 1987.  Considering his wealth and arms dealings. Many mercs with colour coded AK47's doesn't seem to far fetched for this Saudi.  I may have to part with the $1.99US for the article to confirm.  :(here's the link
BTW, every time I spot a merc in a movie, someone else has already got it.  I watch SBS more now (in Oz, shows lots of non-english films), with the hope of getting a bit of credit.  Don't tell anyone, my secret.. DOH!
1973 350SE, my first & fave

s class

If you want info on "notables" who drove W116, a good place to start is back issues of "In Aller Welt".  Every edition had a section devoted to celebs takig delivery of new Benzes (not just W116).  As I recall, many formula 1 drivers in the 1970's chose 450SEL or 6.9 as daily transport.  Interestingly, few if any chose R/C107.

If it's of interest, I can start wading through the back issues. 

Ryan in S.A.

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

OzBenzHead

Quote from: s class on 05 May 2006, 01:20 AM
If you want info on "notables" who drove W116, a good place to start is back issues of "In Aller Welt". ... If it's of interest, I can start wading through the back issues. 

Ryan: That would be just great! Please do.   ;D

If I know which issues, then I can set about acquiring copies of them.

Tomi

I am also willing to participate if needed. good luck!

OzBenzHead

Quote from: Tomi on 05 May 2006, 09:59 AM
I am also willing to participate if needed. good luck!

Tomi: That's great! I'm sure you have a good personal W116 story in you.

It's building up now to a very promising project from the owners' stories end. Keep thinking about it; meanwhile, I'll put together a little guide that might help potential contributors to think their stories. I'll post it when I have it ready.

Cheers

OzBenzHead

Quote from: oscar on 04 May 2006, 06:57 PMRe: the ROYGBIV 116's, no real luck except Adnan Khashoggi is a suspect with a Time mag cover story in 1987. ...  I may have to part with the $1.99US for the article to confirm.

Oscar: I've just about worn out my mouse  ;)  searching for info on Khashoggi's ROYGBIV fleet. I even tried the issue of Time you suggested but, apart from a cover and a Benzless intro, there was nothing readily available. I even contacted Time re a trial subscription, but have heard nothing back yet (it's been four days).

I might try other search criteria - perhaps I'll come up with another Khashoggi with that fleet; who knows!

Sclass (Ryan)
QuoteIf you want info on "notables" who drove W116, a good place to start is back issues of "In Aller Welt". ... If it's of interest, I can start wading through the back issues.

Yes, please - definitely interested in that angle! You might also like to search for the ROYGBIV fleet mentioned by Oscar/Simon; perhaps you'll have more luck in your magazines than I've had so far on the 'net.

Have been working on a contributions prompter post for those with potential input; it should be available soon.