News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

an invitation for YOU to participate

Started by OzBenzHead, 28 April 2006, 02:37 AM

OzBenzHead

Here are some suggestions for possible story angles (distilled from forum posts and private messages / e-mails) received to date thanks to: Brian, Denis, Ryan, Alastair, Paolo, Chad, "Big Richard", Michaeld, Michael(Mforcer) ...)

Please feel free to take a topic and expand on it (especially if it was your idea - though don't let that stop you from being inspired by others' ideas!).

If you'd prefer to post it publicly on the forum, that's okay with me, though my preference would be for a private message or e-mail, so that the book's final content can be a surprise upon release rather than the "old news" it might prove if it's published sooner on a forum. And who knows: there just might be a thief lurking out there in that cutthroat world of publishing who'll steal the idea!

Also, please don't be at all concerned about your writing style, or get anxious about your spelling, punctuation, etc. Whilst I intend to maintain each contributor's personal style as far as possible when he(/she?) tells his story, I'll take care of standardising spelling, punct., etc.

Here are the prompts (in no particular order).

*  the way that the w116 continues to connect people from all over the world; how a car can bring people the world over together

* the "bang for your buck buy" of a 116

* engineering: the best-built car on earth ... simply built to last

* "old world" quality

* "old world" styling

* when you drive a w116, you are not merely driving a car; you are driving the preferred vehicle of royalty and privilege ... you are a king in your own car

* 116 offers some "old world" benefits, such as an iron blocks and solid body construction such as we've never seen in any cars since

* 116 is a "bridge" between the "old world" 108s/109s and the "modern" 126s

* everything it's had done to it has been done by me (the dedicated DIYer syndrome)

* the only thing that kept me sane during the hardest ever period of my life ... I do thank god ... had the 6.9 to keep me sane

* owning a W116 ... is about ... keeping you sane, and driving for the sheer joy it provides

* the 116 ... is a fantastic car for enthusiasts who appreciate classics but need something modern enough to drive every day. ... that offers modern car performance, refinement and features

* classic looks and style that managed to be masculine yet elegant

* the fact that the W116 is seen by some to be somewhat aesthetically challenged should not be a barrier to it becoming a beloved classic

* 116 brought in many big improvements

*  a HUGE leap in technology

* much simpler to maintain

* 116 gives me considerable delight as a vehicle; superb performance and comfort over a long trip; clean classic lines; and a sense of style that few others cars of the 1970s can manage

* the 116's ability to sit comfortably on 200 kph without deviating from a straight line and as quietly as it cruises at 100

* bargain buys

* money pits

* restorations

* life-saving in collisions

* how it affected my driving style

* my favourite 116 colour/s

* my favourite 116 model/s

* what I don't like about the 116 series (or a model within the series)

* the 116 my family wouldn't / couldn't part with

* famous people who owned / drove 116s

* MB Tex vs Cloth vs Leather

* photos (preferably copyright cleared) of badly banged Benzes that saved a life.
[img width=340 height=138][url="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png"]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/url][/img]

oscar

Quote from: OzBenzHead on 10 May 2006, 04:54 AM
Oscar: I've just about worn out my mouse  ;)  searching for info on Khashoggi's ROYGBIV fleet. I even tried the issue of Time you suggested but, apart from a cover and a Benzless intro, there was nothing readily available. I even contacted Time re a trial subscription, but have heard nothing back yet (it's been four days).

I know how you feel.  I eventually used the feedback form to ask them whether pics are included in the online article and if they could flick thru the article to see if it matches the story I told earlier.  Still no response.  I'll try again, I'm not wasting $1.99 US on something I don't want.  ;D
I've been thinking about that phenomonen where witnesses of a crime will enhance their memories of an incident.  What if they were 123's  :o OMG no.  I'll keep searching.

BTW OBH thanks for your link. I meant to send PM but whilst I'm here. Very informative. Cheers. :)
Also, regarding bent benzes, try mbspares in Canberra, they seem to take photos of every car and wreck they get in there.  Also check out the 220seb cabriolet for sale there.  It's black and black, no red.

>:( >:( >:( Grrr!! I just bought that bloody article, no pics, and only one mention of 12 stretch mercedes limo's.  For such a small part of the 116 story, I'm giving up on this one.  Anyone got Adnan's number, we should just ask him.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

michaeld

Gordon,

There are a few posts from mercedesshop.com/shopforum that I believe would contribute to your cause as a documentor of the w116.  Let me say that I belong to several Benz forums (like several of you, I've noticed), but w116.org is my "home."

First of all, here are three threads I think all of you will enjoy (but particularly Ozbenzhead):
http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/showthread.php?t=34391&highlight=450SEL+6.9

http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/showthread.php?t=103808&highlight=450SEL+6.9

http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/showthread.php?t=137493&highlight=450SEL+6.9

The first two forums directly concern themselves with 450SELs; the third one deals with the question of when the last great years of Mercedes were.  Obviously, the 450SEL is not the only w116; but it certainly is one of them, and what can be said of one 116 often translates to another.  The interesting thing about these posts is that they are primarily written by people who DO NOT OWN W116s.  Some of these people really like the w116, and their reasons are insightful.  Others do not like them, and their reasons are also tremendously beneficial for understanding our cars.  I particularly think Ozbenzhead would benefit from reading posts like these because a documentarian should always be aware of "the broad picture" so that he can deal with what people are really thinking.

BTW, I like to belong to other forums because I like to have a full range of technical solutions.  I like this forum best because 1) it specifically deals with w116s; 2) it's the most enjoyable forum to just discuss our cars; and 3) I like the people in this forum the best.

s class

OzBenzHead,

I am planning to wade through the back issues for you.  My intention is to compile a list of references to all W116 related articles. 

I have just been hectically pressured at work this week  >:(, but this weekend I will get started.  Come to thi k of it, I do need my job.  It pays for the fuel in the W116's tank. 

Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

OzBenzHead

Quote from: Des on 02 August 2006, 06:10 AM
Someone may have already stolen your idea:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mercedes-S-Class-1972-1979_W0QQitemZ160014699819QQihZ006QQcategoryZ1132QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks, Des - but, no - I have that book and it's not really what I'm planning, although it does cover some aspects that I plan to include in mine and I'll be plundering a little of it. Overall, it's not a well produced book (none of the Brooklands series is, really) - quite second-rate in terms of layout, typography, general design, photographic reproduction, etc.

If I can't produce something far superior to that - both in content and style - then I should retire from the game.

Whoever is hoping to get $30 for it is being grossly unrealistic; my copy is absolutely mint condition, and I paid a fiver for it at the local Sunday markets last year.

Thanks for pointing me to it, though.  I've put it on watch just to see what it does sell for (if and when).   :)
[img width=340 height=138][url="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png"]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/url][/img]

alabbasi

If your writing a book about owners experiences, i think you came to the right group. Between us, we can probably dissect each and every part of these cars.

With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

robertd

What a great idea, I certainly will buy a copy. think it would make interesting reading to take some quotes from the forum.
Regards Robert.
116   1978 450SEL 6.9 #  4848
116   1979 450SEL  6.9 # 5884
116   1979 450SEL  6.9 # 6225  SOLD
116   1978 450SEL  6.9 # 5128  SOLD
116   1979 450SEL  6.9 # 5884  SOLD
116   1974 450SEL  DJet

robertd

What a great idea, I certainly will buy a copy. think it would make interesting reading to take some quotes from the forum.
Regards Robert.
116   1978 450SEL 6.9 #  4848
116   1979 450SEL  6.9 # 5884
116   1979 450SEL  6.9 # 6225  SOLD
116   1978 450SEL  6.9 # 5128  SOLD
116   1979 450SEL  6.9 # 5884  SOLD
116   1974 450SEL  DJet

OzBenzHead

alabbasi and robertd:

Yup - I think this forum is fertile soil for growing the material.  Quite a few posters have already offered contributions - and will be harrassed for them in due course!   ;)

Along with the materials I'm gathering (and still researching) from the M-B Archives online database (I have been granted a 'licence to plunder'), the M-B Archives 'in the flesh' in Deutchland, and those which I hope to gather from the M-B Museum and the Stuttgart Classic Center when I visit there, as well as owners' stories and similar contributions - and those of an artist who was recently commissioned by one of the head honchos at M-B HQ - I'm planning a memorable, informative, collectible book.

Please feel encouraged to throw your crumbs of insight and experience my way; all contributors of material that is used will receive (a) due credit in the acknowledgements, and (b) a discount on the book's purchase price. 

The reactions from Stuttgart have, to date, been most encouraging, so the book might even yet win the endorsement of the M-B division of DC.  They will not, however, be granted "ownership"; this is my - and other contributors' - project.

Do be warned, though, that this tome is not about to appear tomorrow; creating such a book is the work of at least two years, maybe more - and that's providing the ordinary everyday bread-buttering activities don't get too much in the way.

Bring on your stories and pix!

Contributions are probably better delivered via email or PM, rather than on an open forum where pirates and plagiarists might grab them.   :)