News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

AMG69 - problem resolved

Started by AMG69, 22 February 2007, 07:40 PM

AMG69

OK, I'm back from Sudney and I am on the road again. It was indeed a minor issue.  Here is the story:

I love The Star Shop in Osborne Park here in Perth - they really know their stuff. I drove (limped!) in and explained the stalling problem.  Young mecahnic said fuel pump or fuel pump relay.  Older mechanic (Herbert) who really knows 6.9's wanders over hearing this, asks me symptoms and says "No, that could be the Ignition Transmitter Module"...actually he said "Zat vil be ze ignition trans module...."  ;D   anyway, he opens the bonnet, checks the unit, prounces "zit is not vorking properly" and turns around rummages through a box of old "ITM"s ( :D) and pulls out one to suit a 6.9.  Fits it in 3 minutes. And sends me on my way to see if it works and cures the problem.  Tells me to come back in a week if no issues and fix him up (cash) then.  Its a $1000(?) new unit - his part $150 cash.  Really GOOD SERVICE - gee its hard to get and when you find it I rejoice!   ;)

Cheers

Chris
sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

WGB

Papalangi

Patrick,
Here is a link to a link that someone posted about repairing the igniton boxes.
http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/showthread.php?t=179404

Michael, AKA 250 Coupe
'83 300SD, I'm back!  It's the son's new car (12/2020)
1976 450SEL, 116.033  Sold it to buy a '97 Crown Vic.  Made sense at the time.
1971 250C, 114.023
1976 280C
1970 250/8

Des

Chris, good to hear and hopefully the end of your worries.

:)

Bandolero

The great thing about the ignition modules for the mechanical injection 280's, 6.9's and 450's is that they are all the same. Same part numbers etc.

I tried the 280 unit on my 6.9 and it works fine.

I always carry a spare unit in the boot of the car in case of failure.
Russell Bond - (Adelaide, South Australia)
1978 450SEL 6.9 .... #5166 .... 12/78 (Sold.) [url="//www.ezycoat.com.au"]www.ezycoat.com.au[/url]

AMG69

PB, no, still pinging, will get it seen to soon. 

Sorry, I thought given Star Motors were so good to me replacing the unit on the spot (saving me considerable taxi fees) that I didnt want to demand the old one back...hope you understand.. :-[
sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!