News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

american 116 style

Started by nathan, 28 July 2007, 06:25 AM

nathan

Hi all,
driving to work this morning, for the first time i saw an american 116 here in perth, west aussie...shit those things are ugly - this nader fellow needs a good belting to the head...

however, it made me wonder
-were cars assembled like this in germany and sent to the US or did they got the US as euro versions and then get modded?
-who oversaw the design mods?  did MB redesign them or was a 3rd US party involved?
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

WGB

Hi Nathan,

As far as I know they were designed and made in Germany.

I thought the US market was even bigger than the European market and so it was a very big part of it's 1970's 116 business.

We have always been spoiled by the good looking Euro model and any Euro's imported to US would have been "federalised" in he US to whatever was required for local registration just like here in Oz.

I believe a lot of 126's entered the US in the "Gray" market as, like us, they only had the 380 motor until the 1986 update and the 500 motor was too good to leave out. The 560 motor was made for the US and I believe was only sold in certain markets like USA and Oz and not in the UK.

Bill

116Benz

They were unfortunately done at the factory during production, the bumpers were designed to withstand the low speed impacts without damage to the bodywork, they packed some spring loaded rams under all that bumper bar front and back the earliest 116's in the U.S didnt have to conform to that regulation, and had the euro style bumpers with small over riders at the front.

oscar

Didn't PatB see this car too?

Was it LHD?

I hypothesised that an American serviceman may have imported it to Aus at Pine Gap and then like many (so I've been told by a colleague that used to work up there) would have garage sales prior to their departure to the US.  Their garage sales have some of the coolest items so I've been told.  Like wrangler jeans and LCD wristwatches and oreos :D 
No really, their garage sales had some pretty cool stuff. ;)

Like Oreos ;D
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Grant V

The federal laws ended up bludgeoning the best in European design. I think that the Citroen SM is one of the most beautiful cars ever, but has anyone here seen what a US spec Citroen SM looks like? If I were the SM's designer, I would have sued....
"You've bought another bloody car?!? We should have you committed!" he shrieked, storming out of the room

13B

Would the 116 styling design team in 1973 have rolled their eyes and cursed achten lieben when the federalised rules came in on the fax... they'd have spent 5 years making the 116 look the way it did, and then been given some guidelines "Oh btw can you guys change the bumpers and lights to meet these US requirements, its going to affect around 50% for the cars we build, and you have 2 months to do it"
450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K

John Hubertz

I could not disagree more.  I believe that since during the 70s Mercedes' was making more money and selling more cars in the United States market then anywhere else (I may be wrong, corrections?), the 116 bumpers were preplanned and represent the final expression of the 116 design.  Just as the round lights in their surrounds add detail and style to an otherwise blocky front end, the overall 116 design benefits from the balance and "heft" of USA specification bumpers - and add a perceived increase in size/length/strength of the vehicle.

If you have ever known a German engineer, you will recognize that while they agonize over compromise, they design in a spirit of victory over difficulty.  The German rocket program that took us into outer space in the 60s is a prime example.

Besides, I think they are better looking.  What part of being able to blast through obstacles and bing trash bins (both powered and unpowered) out of the way doesn't sound like the spirit of a 116?

What do I not like about my 450SEL bumpers?  That they aren't US specification 6.9 bumpers. 

Good:

Better:

Best:

John Hubertz
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
(Hunter S. Thompson) 

1977 450SEL (Max Headroom)
[img width=68 height=73][url="http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg"]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg[/url][/img]

13B

Good arguments John, but to me they just look like hastily added-on apparatus to satisfy the 1974 regs. 

450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K

oscar

Have you by chance, in your arsenal of pics John, got a better look at the 6.9 v regular US bumpers?  I know I was told about the extra chrome but I can't see much difference between the last two pics.

I've only remember seeing one other car in Oz of the era that had what I now assume to be US requirement bumpers and that was a volvo.  No idea what model.  But I remember as a 11yo seeing these big bulky type bumpers that had hydraulic rams behind them.  "Cool" is what I remember thinking.  You could have a small bingle without damamging the car.  I remember being impressed and it looked the part.  I think it comes down to what you have been exposed to as well.  I'd never seen US bumpers or lights before I joined the forum.  So something different always looks odd at first. 

Currently, the US bumpers might not look attractive, like most designs or fashions or fads, most become outdated and you look back and say why or how did that come about in the first place ???   What I'd like to know is if the US bumpers and lights combo were shunned in the 70's and early 80's? Or was it the norm, fitting the trend of what the norm was and what every other manufacturer was doing?

1973 350SE, my first & fave

John Hubertz

The history of 5 and subsequently 10 mph impact bumpers were in response to a rise in consumerism during the 1960s and 1970s, the golden age of representative democracy in the modern era.

The issue was primarily driven by the predatory pricing of replacement parts.  It was not uncommon to purchase an automobile for $2200, and have a minor impact and have the cost of repairs exceed $1000, due to parts pricing and design protections that combined to make markups of 1000% commonplace for parts like headlight bezels and grills.

Here is an article:

http://www.nader.org/template.php?/archives/1015-Weaker-Bumpers.html

Mr Nader is still to my knowledge the only active american politician/political activist who has not been compromised by the era of corporate feudalism and full corporate control of the United States government that began in the early 1980s.

The Volvo bumper in the golden age of volvo:

...represents the company philosophy of safety, value and rational economics for vehicle owners.  I owned a 240 series Volvo and like so many others, it saved me from serious injury in a collision - due to the features beyond federal standard. 

Why would I want a bumper that is merely a styling detail?  Why would I wish to be concerned as I approach a market parking lot that a windblown cart would seriously damage my car?

Why would I want my 116 to not provide both  passive and active safety, even for its own components?

I'd love to KNOW.  Was the car conceived with or without the high-performance bumper as a planned addition?

Anyone know a Mercedes safety engineer with 40 years of experience?

John Hubertz
(Hunter S. Thompson) 

[img width=68 height=73][url="http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg"]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg[/url][/img]

John Hubertz

In response to the request - another view of USA spec 6.9 anti-personnel-vehicle armor:

John Hubertz
(Hunter S. Thompson) 

macatron

I'll admit, when I first read this thread, a lot of feelings ran though my mind.  First, I felt a little embarassed that very distinctive components of the car I am driving is being seriously considered "ugly" by enthusiasts of the brand and this model in particular - those people I thought would be the most supportive of all it's iterations.  Second, I thought how I could go about "proving" that my car's design is not inferior and maybe even superior.

In the end, I believe it all comes down to opinion and a reflexive human rejection of things that seem strange.  I feel the same way when I look at foreign versions of American cars.

I don't see where my opinion will further the discussion but I did want to chime in on the question of Oscar's as to whether or not this was a trend and whether or not in was shunned.  The prominent bumpers and round headlights were a common US design element (I'm speaking generally and not referring to just Mercedes) up until about 1978 or 79.  At that point, the trend for headlights seemed to move to a square design.  Bumpers seemed to persist as a prominent feature of cars up until 1982 or so at which point car makers in general seemed to do a better job integrating them into a car's design.  Between 1974 and 1982 or so, bumpers appeared in either chrome or painted but always metal (I'd be interested in learning of any exceptions I can't recall).  Plastic over styrofoam hadn't yet begun to dominate the market.

In short, the American W116 was a fashionable car in it's time.  By 1982, when styles had really changed, I'm sure the car appeared dated.  However, I can't think that the American W116 could have every provoked a "what were we thinking" moment and the testament to that is the fact that there is such a following today.  The car represented a great mix of style, safety and with the 6.9, performance, in a time that could be considered a lengthy period of automotive design darkness.

13B

I suppose its all what people are used to in their home country... Possibly also how long the different variations were on the market.

Two cases spring to mind:

450SE/SEL: In 1973 R&T (the US mag) reviewed the 450SE and SEL and loved the car "best car in the world" they said.  They had also been to europe for the launch and test drive the unsmogged version and that formed their opinion of the car.  When the review went to press they stressed that if you were contemplating buying one in 1974, you may want to hurry up and buy a 1973 before the federalised bumpers came in.  R&T ever preferred the rectangular headlights to the awkward quad round setup.  However in reality, the 450SEL went on to be one of the best sellers in the US during its lifetime probably due to there being so few '73 models with small bumpers.

Mazda RX2: Released in late 1971 and was the 1972 import car of the year in the US - interesting compact car (mainly due to its funny engine).  By 1974 Mazda too had fitted enormous bumbers to the car, totally ruining the look, however there were so many of the original style bumpered cars running around that no one wanted to be seen with the ugly duckling 1974 model.  The car died an inauspicious death which was a pity because by 1974 they'd solved the reliability issues.  I'll try to put up a picture of the 1974 this evening.

I.

michaeld

Gotta say this...

If there was EVER a time when I was sniffing over the fact that my US 77 450SEL had prominent (and therefore somehow ugly) bumpers, that thought was permenantly tossed out of my head the night that I put the car into reverse, stepped on the accelerator - and smacked into an unseen concrete post concealed in the darkness behind me.

I got out of the car - with my heart having relocated itself somewhere near my colon - and expected to see massive damage to my rear end.  Let me tell you: I hit that post HARD. 

But oh, my lovely, beautiful, graceful, pulchritudinous, and downright sexy US bumpers protected me from all harm.  My car would have been messed up big time without those lovelies. 

If those US bumpers were an afterthougt, they were the best-engineered afterthought I've ever seen. 

I've always said this: there's beauty in function.  And them "Nancy boy" Euro bumpers (I called them that having read the recent thread on 6.9s on the dyno ;D) don't hold a candle to the tough-as-nails US bumpers!

nathan

Maca, Michael, John
i would never (ok maybe not never but close to) intentionally intend to disrespect a colleague 116er...so apologies if anyone is insluted!  my thoughts, as an aussie where chrome is beautiful, is that these things just do not blend with the car and detract from its design...certainly, im sure they can take a battering, but i also attest that the chrome bumpers can take a hammering to (from personal experience)...im also uncertain why the lights were tinkered with...not just the 116, but also on blasphemies such as the 124 and 126 - with those horrible square inserts...
my 2c (now 1.9 US cents!)
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te