News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

All Very New To Me

Started by insayne05, 13 December 2017, 02:20 AM

ptashek

The K-Jet is very reliable once you plug all vacuum leaks, which those cars are notorious for. I'd start there, then check all system pressure values (let us know if you don't have these).

White-bluish smoke out the exhaust would typically point at worn valve stem seals.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

TJ 450

The suspension rubbers and the ball joints I purchased from either Pelican Parts or FCP Euro, but I'll have to confirm.
The ball joints require a special press tool which I have... I made the mistake of taking them to a well known dealer and they ruined them. So I just bought the tool for about $600 lol, but it has been used a few times now.
The rest of the stuff while stubborn can be pressed in with an assortment of sockets, washers, threaded rod etc., if you don't have access to a hydraulic press.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

UTn_boy

Quote from: TJ 450 on 21 December 2017, 08:22 AM
The suspension rubbers and the ball joints I purchased from either Pelican Parts or FCP Euro, but I'll have to confirm.
The ball joints require a special press tool which I have... I made the mistake of taking them to a well known dealer and they ruined them. So I just bought the tool for about $600 lol, but it has been used a few times now.
The rest of the stuff while stubborn can be pressed in with an assortment of sockets, washers, threaded rod etc., if you don't have access to a hydraulic press.

Tim

Please be cautious about using URO parts.  Their materials are highly sub standard, and longevity is very short lived.  Fitment is often a problem, as well. 
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo

TJ 450

Yes, although Meyle is passable (just). If you can get Lemfeorder or Genuine this is best. Uro stuff literally lasts a few weeks before it falls apart in some cases.

If you have the part numbers, do a search for them on the above sites and it will also give you a price for Genuine  Mercedes if available.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

floyd111

I would boycott Genuine for the sole reason it is designed to confuse people looking for genuine Mercedes parts. May they all suffer horrendous diseases and set an example for their offspring while they croak. >:(
I don't easily get that angry, but those guys should not be getting away with this trickery.

TJ 450

Floyd111, what is this nonsense? I am talking about genuine MB parts. ;)

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

floyd111

Ha, right! My point exactly.

UTn_boy

I have another company that I'd like to make mention of.....for bad reasons, but necessary.  I recently bought a new ivory steering wheel for a customers late W109.  He Has plenty of money, but we still try to find better deals when we can.  So we found a "new ivory steering wheel for late W108/W109" cars on a website called Authentic Classics.com.  It was about fifty dollars less than my cost from Mercedes.  So we though why not?  Long story short, this guy is selling original steering wheels that have been repaired and refinished in some undocumented Asian town, probably by child labor.  How did myself and my customer find this out?  When we got the steering wheel, we noticed orange peel and runs on the steering wheel....indicative of it having been painted.  So I messaged the owner of this company calling him out on this.  In my email, I said that he cannot advertise these as "Brand new Mercedes" steering wheels when they're noting but refinished originals, and that he cannot sell them at full retail Mercedes prices......again, because they're used and refurbished wheels.  His reply was the following, word for word:

"Hi Aaron,

Thank you for the input on the steering wheel you received. We apologize for the quality of the steering wheel. A similar product from an over seas manufacturer was what we had in stock and did not adjust the listing accordingly. Our goal is not to be dishonest with our customers and we back our products with guarantees of fourteen days if anything is not what is expected. The work and parts we provide are carefully inspected and made sure to ensure customer satisfaction. We have corrected the listing to reflect accurately and hope that you will continue to use Vintage Euro Parts for in the future. If there is a problem with the steering wheel, please ship back to us and we will exchange or repair said wheel. Thank you for your business."

He made no mention about adjusting the prices, and after talking to some other people about this place, it seems that they, too, had been tricked.  In addition to all of the aforementioned, 90% of what this fella sells on his website is priced triple and quadruple more than what Mercedes retail prices are.  So be aware, and of you need buy anything from this place, message them first to set them straight on price and know exactly what you'll be buying...a genuine new part or a refurbished part that looks like a child refinished it. 

floyd111

Bought a W116 cigar lighter there that wasn't a W116 lighter.. Din't bother to chase them. Maybe I should have.

s class

Genuine mercedes parts are not always perfect, but in general it remains your most reliable source.  More and more, in our professional workshop, we only fit genuine mercedes parts.  Call it 20 years of hard experience. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

rumb

Authentic Classics.com

Yes, you would have to be very desperate to buy anything from them with their prices.

http://www.authenticclassics.com/Mercedes-Windshield-Washer-Pump-p/auth-002806.htm

can be had easily for $50, he wants $167.

'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

floyd111

Maybe because of the model? I understand that the first edition has different, correct connector pins, and the cheaper 2nd gen has pins that require you to get a different socket. Am I right about this?

UTn_boy

Quote from: floyd111 on 24 December 2017, 05:08 PM
Maybe because of the model? I understand that the first edition has different, correct connector pins, and the cheaper 2nd gen has pins that require you to get a different socket. Am I right about this?

No,  All W116 cars had the washer fluid pumps with the type of plug connection that has the round pins instead of the flat pins.  The original style ran out of stock, and the flat pin style became the replacement.  There is a footnote on EPC that says to order additionally the plug housing and wire end terminals for the flat pin style of plug. 

The original part number was 115-869-02-21, and the replacement part number is 000-869-30-21.  While his price is somewhat out of line, I must make mention of the fact that the last list price shown for the correct early style pump was $129.  I suppose he's taking advantage of the fact that the correct style is no longer available.  Just guessing though. 

However.....he has the part listed wrong.  The same pump will NOT work on W113, W108, W109, etc.  The part numbers listed in the previous paragraph will only fit W114/W115, R107, W123, and W116 cars.  The correct part number for the early cars is 108-869-01-21, and is still available with a list price of $206.  So again, be cautious either way.  Many of us don't know the minute details that can make huge differences, and I can't stand it when someone gets taken advantage of simply because they don't know any different. 

insayne05

Cheers for all the info guys, have made a few enquiries with some part stores to chase up the rubber bushes I need.

I do have another question with regards knowing how to check when and if the vehicle was imported? I am heading to the Welshpool licensing centre tomorrow as they are curious about the mismatched vin numbers and why the tag shows a different model car. No issues that they worried about right now but thought if I can get them to check it out for free why not.

TJ 450

I'd be going by the one stamped in the firewall and if that matches what the have in the system, all's good. The other plates are likely not correct and will just confuse things from what I can tell.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500