News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

Advice on Five Gear 280SE

Started by RustInPeace, 25 January 2012, 11:08 AM

Type17

Speaking of creeping mixture and idle on K-Jet cars, when I used to run a Mk1 Golf (Rabbit) GTI with inter-galactic mileage on it (215,000 miles when I sold it), I found that the O-ring on the idle-speed screw was worn and flattened, and was the cause of it unscrewing over time - at the end of one particularly long highway run, I dipped the clutch, to find that the idle speed was almost 2,000 RPM - the screw was only a turn away from falling out altogether! A new O-ring fixed it for good.

Likewise, the threads of the mixture screw were worn and loose and the mixture would become lean over time - unscrewing the screw from the arm and wrapping some plumber's PTFE tape around it fixed that issue.

With its much lower mileage, my 116 has not yet developed these issues  :)
'76 350SE in Silver-Green

koan

Quote from: Type17 on 13 February 2012, 01:06 PM
Likewise, the threads of the mixture screw were worn and loose and the mixture would become lean over time - unscrewing the screw from the arm and wrapping some plumber's PTFE tape around it fixed that issue.

That's not the case with mine, the mixture screw is hard to turn. Maybe I don't get the setting right in the first place, I give the throttle a few blips to let the mechanism settle and it seems correct.  Possibly when I adjust I need to compensate for the unmetered air passing through the adjustment hole.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

Type17

I presume that you're using a CO meter - you could try blocking the hole to see if the meter changes?
'76 350SE in Silver-Green

RustInPeace

The story of that 5-Gear 280SE continues..

After being messed around by the seller who was not available on th phone and then hearing nothing I emailed him again. Some time passes then I get replied to the effect that he doesn't want to sell the car after all. Thanks for the time wasted. I was really liking the car, but with unreliable seller I content myself cruising my W123 and started rebuilding a ancient Morini 500 vee twin (mean looking 70s cafe racer motorcycle with open carbs, spoked wheels and clipon bars) .  Now the bike is almost ready for inspektion and I am looking on ebay for some parts..

?

?

!
I find exactly this car on offer with one day left to run!

Cannot view it as seller is absent (again). Now there is one bid from a new registered user who currently is bidding on say 20 cars -porsche/bmw/cadillac. Is this bidding dude a fraud "spaßbieter"?  I was thinking to join the auction, but that's crazy for an unseen car, especially given the "nice" seller. Here it is:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160809124780

I rekon the seller can GAGF (Nathan6.9 is really improving my eengliisch!) These things are supposed to be rare, but there's another brown 280SE 5-gear K-Jet currently on offer.. Just had 3000EUR pushed into engine work. 1978, Sunroof/head restraints/offside mirror.. the stuff that's missing from the first car.
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Mercedes-280SE-W116-Bj-12-78-H-Kennz-/320912928822?pt=Automobile&hash=item4ab7e6b036

How weird is that?

W123 280E 5-speed
* der Rolls-Royce ist DER Mercedes unter den Autos *

Mforcer

:o Never try to understand or explain the crazy!
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200