News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

Started by robparker, 06 June 2016, 08:23 AM

robparker

After lots of work (in between using it!) my 6.9 is mechanically looking good.. almost all new genuine parts used to completely re-do the brake system, exhaust system, suspension spheres, engine service plus lots of little bits and bobs attended to, like new headlight wipers, cruise ecu, door+ignition lock set etc.
Needs some welding work on the underside, which I am not going to do myself, so later this month its off to the bodyshop for that, then hopefully a fresh mot and summer driving!

6.9, 300SL, C43 + dog car

daantjie

Very tidy well done!  Mine was getting close then I had an unfortunate meeting with a concrete divider :'(
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

robparker

Bugger! Hope you get it sorted... or another one if its that bad.

daantjie

Not that bad. I am slowly getting her back on the road.
"School fees" as my dad would say :o
Daniel

adamb

Good going, Rob. Are you coming to the S-fest in February? It'd be great to have more 6.9s there.

robparker

Where abouts is that? I would love to try and go!

6.9 underside is currently totally stripped down, and all rust is being cut out and good new metal welded in place, will replace other bits and bobs whilst its in this state, waiting for a list! Hope this is all worth it! (not financially of course!)

daantjie

Brace yourself for the cost of those sway bar shackles :o
Daniel

Jed

Hey Rob,

I am considering removing the rear suspension from my 76 6.9 rust bucket in an effort to do some rust repair.  So how difficult is it to remove the rear end?  I do have a lift so I am thinking that will simplify things a little....do you know of a procedure that is available or did you just start unbolting things? :)
Can you estimate how heavy the whole thing is?

thanks!
jed
1979 Mercedes 6.9 #5206 - restored
1979 Mercedes 6.9 #6424 - ongoing restoration
1976 Mercedes 6.9 #484 - restoration?

arcijack

sucker weigh a ton, but easy to unbolt, i did mines and put it on a jack a slid it out with no problem,

robparker

As above.. easy, but use some sort of jack or lift to help it down

Malaysian

:'( no more 6.9s in Malaysia to buy. Import permits are impossible. Help!!!

Will trade 2 280se and 1 280s for a decent 6.9!

What a beautiful specimen robparker.

1977 280SE (M)
1977 280SE (M)
1978 280S (M)
1982 280SE (A) W126

2007 Porsche Cayman S
2010 BMW 320d SE
2012 Toyota Alphard 3.5GL MPV

ptashek

Quote from: Malaysian on 07 July 2016, 01:38 PM
:'( no more 6.9s in Malaysia to buy. Import permits are impossible. Help!!!

What's up with Asia having all those bans on classic car imports?
Taiwan, Malaysia... possibly others?
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

floyd111

It's called "environmental concerns" You know, Kyoto Treaty, our kids' health 'n stuff.
Some day, even Anglo-Saxons and Celts will take that evolutionary step as well, together with a first step towards culinary development, haha!

karmann_20v

Quote from: floyd111 on 07 July 2016, 09:17 PM
It's called "environmental concerns" You know, Kyoto Treaty, our kids' health 'n stuff.
Some day, even Anglo-Saxons and Celts will take that evolutionary step as well, together with a first step towards culinary development, haha!

I call BS on that. Classic cars are in such a minority, they will never put an environmental dent unless you drive ALL of them non stop, 365 days/year.

floyd111

Well, even though I was taking the p@#, there are quite a few countries that have rules and regulations that very much (accidentally) encourage the abuse of classic car policies, in relation to road taxes and such.
In Holland, up till last year, taxes are that high on regular cars, that for the longest of times, you'd be better off buying a 6.9 that's 30+ years old, rather than a Vauxhall hatchback (Opel).
That loophole was only nailed shut in 2015, by installing a system that demands AND checks that all cars older than 40 years may only be on-license for 9 months per year, forcing all evaders to own a second, tax-worthy car for the winter months.

No doubt, if Asia would copy that system, it would become possible to import and license classics, just like the countries where you can modify an V8 living room sofa and have it licensed for the road.
We'll just have to wait until they too are ready to join the culinary challenged Saxons.