News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

6.9 Nr. 7334 for sale

Started by Wolfgang Germany, 27 January 2020, 02:33 PM

daantjie

Strange how EU and NA market differ.  In US this one will likely struggle to break 20K USD.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

Wolfgang Germany

Quote from: daantjie on 27 January 2020, 03:36 PM
Strange how EU and NA market differ.  In US this one will likely struggle to break 20K USD.

hmmm....why?  :o

daantjie

Multiple reasons of course, and some just my opinion:
- In US they have to compete with Detroit muscle cars.  The average Yank will not pee on a Benz even if it's on fire, they love their Detroit muscle, and that is just the way it is.
- Tie in with above point, parts are hard to find and expensive.  In contrast you can find literally any part for any US car ever made, and cheaply too.  OK maybe this is a bit of an exaggeration but really the availability of US car parts vs "imports" will astound you
- Baby boomer factor - more pronounced in US.  Most Boomers are now too old to invest their kids' inheritance in cars.  Simply put, they are dying and their kids do not care about their cars.  Again, here they have to compete with a flood of Detroit muscle cars which are now being dumped on the market.
-"Hydro tales of horror" - a lot of misinformation about the HPF suspension has really hurt 6.9 values.
- These were expensive cars new, and most 2nd, 3rd, 4th owners did not have deep pockets, so they were badly neglected.  Refer to point 2 above regarding very expensive and hard to find parts.
- To tie in with first point, many US folks simply do not "get" Mercedes.  They would rather drive a Cadillac, or drive a new F150 truck every year.  Sad but true :'(
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

ptashek

Quote from: daantjie on 27 January 2020, 03:36 PM

Euros seem to fetch better money stateside though. Like this 32k miles 280SE, recently sold for an absolutely insane $78k.
In Europe, a "concourse" condition 280SE is valued at under $30k.

https://www.goodingco.com/vehicle/1978-mercedes-benz-280-se/
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

nathan

Really nice car Wolfgang, great colour. and on XWXs!
I had 6.9 VIN #18 in this colour (engine number 12!).
what have they done to the centre console, is that a fridge under the phone? its very large.
I agree with PT, I would think euros fetch a lot more in the US. with all that horrible emissions stuff keeping engine power 10% less than the euro, I could see why the US population would be less enthusiastic, especially with the headlight and bumper changes.
good luck with the sale.
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

Wolfgang Germany

Quote from: daantjie on 27 January 2020, 05:54 PM
Multiple reasons of course, and some just my opinion:
- In US they have to compete with Detroit muscle cars.  The average Yank will not pee on a Benz even if it's on fire, they love their Detroit muscle, and that is just the way it is.
- Tie in with above point, parts are hard to find and expensive.  In contrast you can find literally any part for any US car ever made, and cheaply too.  OK maybe this is a bit of an exaggeration but really the availability of US car parts vs "imports" will astound you
- Baby boomer factor - more pronounced in US.  Most Boomers are now too old to invest their kids' inheritance in cars.  Simply put, they are dying and their kids do not care about their cars.  Again, here they have to compete with a flood of Detroit muscle cars which are now being dumped on the market.
-"Hydro tales of horror" - a lot of misinformation about the HPF suspension has really hurt 6.9 values.
- These were expensive cars new, and most 2nd, 3rd, 4th owners did not have deep pockets, so they were badly neglected.  Refer to point 2 above regarding very expensive and hard to find parts.
- To tie in with first point, many US folks simply do not "get" Mercedes.  They would rather drive a Cadillac, or drive a new F150 truck every year.  Sad but true :'(

well.....some people can not do anything with a classic watch with complications and prefer a digital casio watch.
In some regions of the world, time is also measured with sun rays.... ;)

Wolfgang Germany

Quote from: nathan on 28 January 2020, 01:36 AM
Really nice car Wolfgang, great colour. and on XWXs!
I had 6.9 VIN #18 in this colour (engine number 12!).
what have they done to the centre console, is that a fridge under the phone? its very large.
I agree with PT, I would think euros fetch a lot more in the US. with all that horrible emissions stuff keeping engine power 10% less than the euro, I could see why the US population would be less enthusiastic, especially with the headlight and bumper changes.
good luck with the sale.
It´s a original optional equipment phone box. It`s not the original b-network phone that is mounted.

It`s not mine. It`s offered on ebay-kleinanzeigen.

AndreasF

And last but not least, this is the called price. In Germany, too, you first have to find someone who will pay this price. I don't think that the car will be sold quickly at this price.
In any case, it is a very nice colour combination and car looks well maintained. It is a pity that the old car phone is no longer in it.
350SE (silver) from 1979 (sun roof, air condition, central locking, Becker Mexico, ....)