News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

6.9 in Junkyard

Started by Harv, 26 March 2018, 10:29 AM

Harv

I hear ya Nate, but if Squiggy wants this thing, I'll try my best to get it. Master valve has been pulled and sold, same with warm up regulator. Fuel distributor is on my list but don't know how hard is it to get. Hydro reservoir I'm iffy about. Probably only pull it if someone requests it.

I got the window regulator with motor today. It's already off to a new home.
1980 300SD
1983 240D
2000 E55 AMG
2002 G500

rumb

As generally impracticable/unusable as tow-bars  may be I think they look cool. People in USA dont realize that many people in Germany use their cars to tow trailers. They dont all have pick up trucks or SUVs like here.  I think they add a certain mystic to a nice German sedan.

My car did not come with one, but the rear lower panel under the bumper has the 4 holes in it that are/were used for tow-bar installation.  I looked under the car and there may be one bracket on the left side for mounting.  So perhaps mine sported one in it's past.

I'd probably consider one just for the conversational value.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

Squiggle Dog

The reason I have interest in (what's left of) the tow bar is my car isn't big enough to haul large items and I'm tired of strapping things to the roof and hanging them out the trunk. My car also isn't suited for transporting heavy bicycles. I'd like a tow bar with a receiver so I can install one of these and/or a bicycle rack:

I also want to be able to tow a trailer if needed. The Curt tow hitches sold these days aren't very good as they attach to the bumper and under the spare tire, so they aren't very sturdy and you can't haul much weight. A lot of hitches I've seen available for the W116 are a joke. The factor style one seems very well-engineered and sturdy. The one on this 6.9 is incomplete, but that main brace that goes from the rear of the car up by the axle would be a big help in making a custom tow bar with a receiver hitch.

My W116 has been my only car for 8 years (unless you count the rusted out fintail wagon that's beyond restoring), so anything I can do to help my hauling capacity is welcome.
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

Squiggle Dog

Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

daantjie

Quote from: Harv on 16 May 2018, 03:55 PM
I hear ya Nate, but if Squiggy wants this thing, I'll try my best to get it. Master valve has been pulled and sold, same with warm up regulator. Fuel distributor is on my list but don't know how hard is it to get. Hydro reservoir I'm iffy about. Probably only pull it if someone requests it.

I got the window regulator with motor today. It's already off to a new home.

I would not bother with the hydro tank.  I have 3 sitting in my shed and also now question the wisdom of pulling these ::) 
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

Harv

Quote from: daantjie on 16 May 2018, 05:11 PM
I would not bother with the hydro tank.  I have 3 sitting in my shed and also now question the wisdom of pulling these ::)

Exactly my point.  :)
1980 300SD
1983 240D
2000 E55 AMG
2002 G500

Harv

Also pulled the antenna today. Looks like one of those Hirschmann Universals? Then I saw a Made In China sticker and ran the other way.

1980 300SD
1983 240D
2000 E55 AMG
2002 G500

nathan

I must have missed that post Harv, fair call then!  but towbars suck as inevitably you smash them into your shins as you try and lug them around your garage, they are bloody heavy!  Thats a lot of transporting SD, you need a roof rack!

still pull the hydro tank and master valve, takes all of 15 mins and doesn't take much space. 
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

ptashek

Quote from: Harv on 16 May 2018, 05:40 PM
Also pulled the antenna today. Looks like one of those Hirschmann Universals?

That's almost certainly not a Hirschmann. Theirs don't have the motor on the outside.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

Harv

Went back to the car again today. Pulled the hydro pump and went around and got all of the T fittings on the hydro lines. The poor hydro tank was full and leaked all it's fluid all over the ground.

Squig, it's not looking good for the tow bar. I'm at a wall. I took a 2 foot breaker bar on the bottom bolt under the car and put an allen wrench on the top mount and turned from the bottom, but it's not working. The allen on the top just rounds off and falls once I put any kind of torque on the bolt. I have no idea why Mercedes did it this way, but I think they planned for it not to come out once it was mounted. It doesn't make sense why you'd use a 5mm allen head on one side and a 17mm on the other. Only real option now is to cut the bolt, but you need a hell of a grinder with some pressure to cut that. I tried my best. 

Found this interesting piece under the dash. It looks like some kind of German alarm system. The dial on the top moves too. Everything was all hooked up so it probably was functional at one time. Anyone know anything about this?

1980 300SD
1983 240D
2000 E55 AMG
2002 G500

Squiggle Dog

Quote from: Harv on 18 May 2018, 04:56 PM
Squig, it's not looking good for the tow bar. I'm at a wall. I took a 2 foot breaker bar on the bottom bolt under the car and put an allen wrench on the top mount and turned from the bottom, but it's not working. The allen on the top just rounds off and falls once I put any kind of torque on the bolt. I have no idea why Mercedes did it this way, but I think they planned for it not to come out once it was mounted. It doesn't make sense why you'd use a 5mm allen head on one side and a 17mm on the other. Only real option now is to cut the bolt, but you need a hell of a grinder with some pressure to cut that. I tried my best. 

No! :'( Oh, well, I guess it was incomplete, anyway. I would have still had to fabricate the missing pieces, but it would have given me a head start. When it comes to rounded and rusted bolts, though, you pretty much have to have some kind of power tool at that point. At least I managed to get the mounting plate and wire adapters from a car a few years back. I can probably make a hitch out of some square steel and try to replicate the factory style.

ptashek

Quote from: Harv on 18 May 2018, 04:56 PM
Found this interesting piece under the dash. It looks like some kind of German alarm system. The dial on the top moves too. Everything was all hooked up so it probably was functional at one time. Anyone know anything about this?

It's an aftermarket car alarm made by Ullrich Autoalarm GmbH. It was a small company in South Germany.
Looks like they're no longer in business. The only good reference I have found was some comments from the owner, on car alarms, in an article from 1993:
https://www.focus.de/wissen/natur/diebstahlsicherungen-tresor-auf-raedern_aid_142306.html. Given he was fifty at the time, per the article, the guy's probably long retired.

I'd keep it as a souvenir :D
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

floyd111

raueda1

Quote from: Squiggle Dog on 16 May 2018, 04:25 PM
The reason I have interest in (what's left of) the tow bar is my car isn't big enough to haul large items and I'm tired of strapping things to the roof and hanging them out the trunk. My car also isn't suited for transporting heavy bicycles. I'd like a tow bar with a receiver so I can install one of these and/or a bicycle rack:

I also want to be able to tow a trailer if needed. The Curt tow hitches sold these days aren't very good as they attach to the bumper and under the spare tire, so they aren't very sturdy and you can't haul much weight. A lot of hitches I've seen available for the W116 are a joke. The factor style one seems very well-engineered and sturdy. The one on this 6.9 is incomplete, but that main brace that goes from the rear of the car up by the axle would be a big help in making a custom tow bar with a receiver hitch.

My W116 has been my only car for 8 years (unless you count the rusted out fintail wagon that's beyond restoring), so anything I can do to help my hauling capacity is welcome.
Squiggle, just an FYI on those hitchracks:  I've got one, but it's on a K2500 suburban.  They are VERY easy to overload.  40lbs is a joke, and a couple bikes is fine, but 400lbs is easy to achieve from a single Home Depot trip to buy bags of dirt.  I'd be very careful about limiting tongue weight when used on a unibody design vs bolted to a frame.  Most small trailers are balanced so as to have almost no tongue weight at all.
-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0