News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

6.9 in Junkyard

Started by Harv, 26 March 2018, 10:29 AM

Harv

I pulled the waterpump from this monster today. What a job.

I only pulled the actual pump and not the housing because you need to move harmonic balancer for the housing. Simply not possible in the field. More of that thing later. If you are doing this on a running/driving car, it is going to take you awhile. The radiator needs to come out and obviously the fan. I pulled the belts too to get them out of the way. Once you get access, you have to go around and remove all the bolts. There are two 10mm that hide deep on the bottom that are impossible to see. Once you get all the bolts out, pray like hell that the gasket isn't stuck. I had to use a chisel and hammer to get the pump broke free from the house because whoever put this pump back on used an entire tube on RTV to seal it. Once it was broke free, the pump started to move out and thought I was home free. Wrong. The pump hits the harmonic balancer! I thought that was the end of it but before I left I tried prying the the pump off from the top to hopefully would clear. I looked inside and saw the impeller was all rusty so I had no problem prying it to get it to clear the housing. The impeller broke but it was free. My understanding is that on some cars the pump the hits balancer, some cars it doesn't.

I can't imagine doing this job on a valuable car. You'd have to be so careful not to break or bent anything. The good news is the pump is off to it's new home where it will live on in another car.   

1980 300SD
1983 240D
2000 E55 AMG
2002 G500

floyd111

Just keep in mind you're doing God's work here.. 8)

Harv

Quote from: floyd111 on 01 May 2018, 05:49 PM
Just keep in mind you're doing God's work here.. 8)

I keep telling myself that despite the busted up knuckles. The real heros are those who take stuff off and put it back together better than before. The amount of care needed to pull one of these pumps for someone else is what makes the pros the pros.

The poor car is pretty much stripped of anything M100/6.9 related other than the actual engine itself, the struts, and the rear suspension valve. The car is totally sitting on itself. I have the factory jack for this car, but since the rockers are all gone so I have no idea how I'd lift this thing since the yard doesn't allow floor jacks either.

Any requests from the car I'll gladly take, but I am probably going to take a break from it for now. I have been visiting it twice a week for the past month or so and I'll pretty much at the end now that I got the waterpump.
1980 300SD
1983 240D
2000 E55 AMG
2002 G500

floyd111

if only there were a 'spare bulb box' in the trunk, that would be the day.

Harv

Quote from: floyd111 on 02 May 2018, 05:42 PM
if only there were a 'spare bulb box' in the trunk, that would be the day.

I wish. Trunk is full of everything. Full window regulators with motors on them, glass, trim from everywhere, random bolts.

I'm trying to think of a way to lift this car with the factory jack without the rockers. I want to get the wheels off to grab those struts. 
1980 300SD
1983 240D
2000 E55 AMG
2002 G500

slfan

Great post.  I purchased a spare parts 6.9 a few minutes months ago and I am learning a lot with everybody's comments here.  Please maintain us informed of your next "removals".

Regards,
Angelo
1978 - 450SEL 6.9 - 3170
1978 - 450SEL 6.9 "Parts Car" - 2973

floyd111

Welcome back SLfan.. It's been a while!

Harv

Radiator done. No leaks.

1980 300SD
1983 240D
2000 E55 AMG
2002 G500

daantjie

Quote from: Harv on 08 May 2018, 11:44 AM
Radiator done. No leaks.

What a thing of beauty, nice work!  No recore though?
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

Harv

Quote from: daantjie on 08 May 2018, 12:07 PM

What a thing of beauty, nice work!  No recore though?

That's up to the next owner. It was pressure tested to 15 PSI and held without any problems. I ran 3 jugs of distilled through it and it came out just as clear. From what I can see, it's not super clean inside but it works.

Keep in mind that the euro radiators are different than the US spec ones. So from what I can tell, this is the only euro 6.9 radiator on the market. I don't want top dollar for it because of its condition, so the buyer will have some room to do a recore if they wish.
1980 300SD
1983 240D
2000 E55 AMG
2002 G500

Harv

In today's episode of 6.9 Junkyard car.

Went back this morning to play around and see what I could do about getting the struts. Since no jacks are allowed in the yard, you are on your own about trying to get struts. I believe the yard will lift the car for me, but when they do that I want to be 100% sure I can grab all for 4 because once that car is in the air, it's a giant ''look at me, I have valuable parts on me''. Right now, the car is a rusty piece of junk for anyone who passes by.

I got the factory jack out and decided to just lift the rear from the rear tub. It worked really well. I got it high enough where I could see the rear suspension valve was there but there was no way in hell I was crawling under that car. I've seen way too many people die from cars falling on them. I then got the left rear wheel off and tried to pull the strut. Got both the top and bottom bolts out but even compressing the strut the whole way down, I couldn't get it to clear. I guess I need to pull the control arm down more? The second thing is that it wouldn't come unseated from the lower arm. Didn't have a hammer to try bust it free.

Took home some other little parts. Got the tstat housing since it's a M100 only thing. Got the OEM 116 exhaust rubbers, little outside trim and those little door socks too. All for sale.

Also, there is this giant piece of metal attached to the car that runs right next to the exhaust would be. It doesn't look factory but it's on there solid. Some kind of tow brace?

First try:

Second try:

Wheel off:

This didn't work:

Giant arm?

Stuff:

1980 300SD
1983 240D
2000 E55 AMG
2002 G500

Squiggle Dog

Wow, it's a Euro model for sure and appears to have had the factory tow bar. That's something I've been wanting, but don't know if the rest of the parts are there? I was fortunate enough to find some parts of a tow bar, and maybe it's enough for me to use as a starting point to fabricate one.

There was a plate mounted in the trunk floor.

This is what the underside of it looks like. This is what that large bar connects to.

There is a part that mounts at the rear (and I see the 6.9 has these holes as well):

I think the other part of that large bar used to go here:

And here on the other side at the hook:

I couldn't tell if this bracket was part of it:

There were plastic wire harness covers (which were broken, but I got them anyway--I think I can see them in your pictures through the taillight openings). I also got the nifty trailer light adapters that plug in between the taillights and taillight plugs.

If you can get that large bar and as many tow bar parts as you can find without putting yourself in danger, I may be interested, or at least someone on here should be because the two bar parts are really hard to find. There should also be the actual bar that goes from the large bar in the pictures to the passenger side of the car and would have the actual hitch on it. Maybe it's in the trunk? I'm curious about it. At some point I want to have a functional tow bar that doesn't just mount to the bumper.

I wish the dashboard was already out, because I'd have you cut out some sections of wire harness.
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

Squiggle Dog

I guess this is how the setup looks, though it's missing the trunk mounting plate and the plastic wire harness covers.
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

Squiggle Dog

Oh, and if they put the car in the air, maybe check to see if the radiator skid plate is on the vehicle?

Harv

Interesting. It surely looks like the factory tow bar. I'm 99% sure that skip plate isn't there. The only thing I see on the front of that car is the oil pan sitting on the ground.
1980 300SD
1983 240D
2000 E55 AMG
2002 G500