News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

6.9 Driving Impressions

Started by TJ 450, 07 September 2012, 10:48 AM

TJ 450

I can't disagree with you there Tony, on all counts. Even if big ticket repairs are need occasionally, you're still going to be way in front compared to recent/new car ownership.

The Benzes have been the most economical cars I've ever owned in terms of total cost of ownership. I had two Volvos and a Saab previously, and paid mechanics to service them... $$$$$.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Big_Richard

oversize

The only thing I'll add is the safety issue.  I wouldn't drive a 35yo car everyday for that reason and prefer the safety of airbags, ABS and ESC.  Personally I don't like most versions of traction control.  A 5-10yo car should offer all the safety benefits, use less fuel than an old car and cost far less than a new car.  If it needs a major service, just negotiate harder with the seller....
1979 6.9 #5541 (Red Bull)
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1979 6.9 #3686 (Moby Dick)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)
1977 450SEL #7010 white -P
1975 450SEL #8414 gold -P

gf

interesting points, maybe i should one day buy a 6.9. definately will never get a new car as i only drive once every fortnight

Big_Richard

Tony66_au

Agreed re side impact airbags but thats pretty much where I draw the line...........

ABS makes people lazy and actually increases stopping distance in the wet or on greasy roads, remembering what others seem to forget being that ABS is to give you directional control or the ability to steer whilst hard on the brakes so you can avoid your obstacle.

But ask your average shmo and they will swear it is a braking aid.

It isnt, it just allows you to steer and brake hard at the same time.........

But less than 12% of drivers actually try once they have mashed the stop pedal to the carpet and usually end up ABSing up the bum of the car infront lol.

Stability control? Nice, ABS? Not so much.  Side curtain bags? Great idea. Crumple zone........................ Hmmmmm so how fast etc before the crumple zone ends behind you............

Sure the G forces are far less as the car concertina's and absorbs the hit but there is a limit to whats possible.

I remember seeing a BMW saloon of some sort being removed from under the back of a truck in an 80 k zone with signs of airbaggery galore but the guy driving still went home in a baggy.

I think and feel against all scientific proof I am safer in an Old Mercedes in my daily driving environment than I would be in a modern compact or saloon car.

And............. I can drive.

Helps I guess lol

Tony66_au

BTW, the other side of the coin is my 1971 Valiant sedan, 245 cubic inches of Semi Hemi fury!

Running on 5 1/2 inch wide steelies and stopped by the mighty power of 4 wheel unboosted drum brakes!

Ya want scary Major Tom?

Drive THAT sucker at 50 mph in the wet lol

zook

none of the cars ive owned (only 2) have had any kind of saftey devices- and i think that while im still on my Ps, its a good thing. learning to drive without the reassurance of these things has made me a better driver- to learn better driving practices at an earlier age, and then switch to a 'better' car later down the track seems the way to go, even if youre likely to forget.

all that said, can i have a 6.9 now please? please? :D
[url=http://forum.w116.org/test-drive/1978-mercedes-benz-280s-'amg'-4spd-manual/]| '78 280S 'AMG' 4spd |[/url] [url=http://ozfoz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=34858]| my daily; '98 Subaru Forester |[/url]

Big_Richard

Tony66_au

Very true MT, That said it used to un nerve me every time I got in something old and US or Oz based and id be very cautious for a while until I settled back into a pattern more suited to the machinery's limitations. 

I have driven a lot of stuff both small and huge in the nearly 30 years I have had my license as well as instructing and later doing assessments on the elderly, infirm (Both young and old) in Cars and also heavy vehicles.
Raced in club rally and off road as well as Driven a Commonwealth car for a period of time for shits and giggles.

And my advice to anyone is this.

Look ahead.

Forward observation, Hazard perception or whatever you want to call it is basically information gathering.

And what you see while driving is easier to avoid, and the sooner you see it the sooner you can classify it as a risk or just something to be aware of.

And once you do this your chances of following a hassle free path increases exponentially.

Its also important to be well rested and alert so you can process the information you gather and this also gives you a good reaction time.

Use forward observation, Plan your position well ahead and drive within your limits and to the conditions and you will lead a charmed existence on the road.

Tony

Big_Richard

oversize

Quote from: Tony66_au on 15 September 2012, 06:22 PM
Very true MT, That said it used to un nerve me every time I got in something old and US or Oz based and id be very cautious for a while until I settled back into a pattern more suited to the machinery's limitations. 

Look ahead.

Forward observation, Hazard perception or whatever you want to call it is basically information gathering.

And what you see while driving is easier to avoid, and the sooner you see it the sooner you can classify it as a risk or just something to be aware of.

Its also important to be well rested and alert so you can process the information you gather and this also gives you a good reaction time.

Use forward observation, Plan your position well ahead and drive within your limits and to the conditions and you will lead a charmed existence on the road.

Tony

I couldn't agree with you more Tony!  And Zook an old Benz is a far better car within which to hone your skills than anything else available....  MT6.9 please take a vid camera with you this time and post a link to it here....  We'll just ignore all the naughty bits!!!   ;)
1979 6.9 #5541 (Red Bull)
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1979 6.9 #3686 (Moby Dick)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)
1977 450SEL #7010 white -P
1975 450SEL #8414 gold -P

Big_Richard

Big_Richard

ZCarFan

I see the subject was come up again within this thread so I will ask a somewhat off topic question.  I've driven and owned a lot of cars over the years and anything from about 1960 up has proven capable of getting around safely at the speed limits on our roads here (U.S.) when properly maintained.  I admit, the W116 is superior to anything else I've driven from its era and is one of the reason I have one, but I've not had any problems with other models that would have been solved with a better car. 

The question then is, just how fast are you guys driving?  Even a late 60's Chevy Impala for extreme example (I had a '69) could navigate twisty backroads fast enough to get in serious legal trouble here, so I am a bit lost on the comments.  Once you've reached cornering speeds that send your passengers sliding across the seat into the door panel without strain from the car, how much more capacity is needed?  In the end, you will be going faster than your reaction times can cope with unexpected events regardless of equipment, particularly in traffic or on roads with blind curves .  It is a serious question as I really am baffled by this.

As a motorcyclist of 20 years, I hold the same opinion as Tony66_au that driver awareness is crucial to safety on the road.   Having a safe car is icing on the cake, but not getting in the accident incident in the first place is far better.