News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

6.9 "AMG" restoration update / MBCCWA Show n Shine

Started by AMG69, 23 October 2006, 12:01 AM

AMG69

I've posted some updated photos of progress with  6.9 # 5554 with new paint job, "Styria" spoiler (!) and new carpets!

Also here are a couple of shots from yesterday's Show n Shine:

(Julian, aged three, sizing up 13.8 lites)

sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

oscar

Mate that's awsome!!!  How much you want for it :D

You must be over the moon with it's appearance, it looks immaculate.  How about that spoiler?  It gives the front a more muscular/aggresive/faster appearance.  Does it go faster now? :D

After all the work, far be it for me to criticise so consider this a passing thought.  On the boot, what if the 450sel badge is replaced with the AMG badge and the 6.9 stays put.   I don't know whether anyone has done this and it's probably the last thing you want to hear.  Regardless your car looks fantastic.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

AMG69

Thanks Oscar!  I am rapt - interior looks awesome too; I wanted that blend of Silver / Black and grey inside as those were the AMG colours of the day.

Two things - one, I added all the photos of interior etc to the Gallery under Showroom;

Second, I intend replacing the 450SEL badge with the AMG badge at some stage - this was my exact directive to the bodyshop but they "got it wrong"  >:(.  It took so long to get the car to this stage I went home and "slept on it" (whether to make them fix it then and there - further delays etc) and decided to forget about it for the time being; knowing me (!) it will start "frustrating" me again the badge is in the wrong spot (as you say!) and I'll have the boot touched up and the badge put in its rightful place. 

The fact the first two people to see the car (well 6.9 owners) (you and Nathan) have said the same thing - well thats a telling sign..... :P

oscar

Isn't there an 11th commandment, "thou shall not covet another's 6.9". 

I just saw your album.  I'm gobsmacked.  It's amazing how two 116's (yours and mine) look pretty much the same but are worlds apart.  I love your carpets and mats.

The colour and style of the pentas really complement the body.  Keeping with the silver/chrome/grey theme, I wonder how smoked rear lights and clear front indicators would look.  Not that you can get them.  I was going to experiment making a latex mould of a front indicator and use UV stable crystal clear resin to make my own but clear lights don't interest me that much so I didn't go ahead with it, but they'd suit yours I reckon. 

Re the badge, glad I didn't offend.  But after what looks like a superb paintjob, I can understand why you wouldn't want to have reason for a touch up so soon.

Got a couple of questions for you-  What's the logo/emblem on your air filter? (not the AMG one)

- Also, have you written a list anywhere on the forum of what you've done to the car to get it this far?  I've lost track.  No need to mention cost, I'm just curious of the steps you've taken.  How was it when you first got it? I've forgotten.

AMG69

Logo is "K and N" ( go to http://www.knpowersports.com/ for you FREE one (!)

The work I have done is extensive and includes:

AMG original brochure for W116 (EBAY) - first thing I bought.
AMG Front spolier (Styria)
AMG Gear shifter (www.carshine.com.au)
AMG rear boot badge (EBAY, USA)
AMG 6.9 custom floor mats (http://www.worlduph.com/matlogo.htm)
AMG steering wheel (M100 club member USA)
AMG steering wheel badge (Benzworld Member Ireland)
AMG Penta 16 x 8 wheels (EBAY Australia)
AMG wheel centre caps (Mercedes Benz, Perth)
Rebuilt Becker Mexico Casette Stereo (Styria)
Fire Extinguisher (Styria)
LED globes (per big Richard and http://www.ledshoponline.com/automotive_leds_wedge_bulb.htm)
New Paint job, all rust repairs
New interior carpets (GAHH - Styria - http://www.gahh.com/store.php?cPath=27_3529)
New speakers, new AMP,
Heated seats - http://www.innovativeheat.com/products.php
Heated seat switches (ORIGINAL W116 orange toggle switch) EBAY USA
Dash board switches (sunroof, interior light, demist, iPOD On Off - all from : ADSIT, http://www.adsitco.com/category.asp?CID=1509
K and N air cleaner
Second hand windscreen washer tank (Styria)
New windscreen washer hoses (Adsit)
Burl wood centre console box (www.benzwood.com)
Tinted Windows
Original, unused, First Aid Kit, EBAY USA

Phew............. :)

s class

AMG69,

congrats on putting together a fantastic vehicle.  I'm so glad yo left the seats original.  I love the black leather and the patina and gentle wear makes them only better IMHO.

Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

AMG69

Thanks Ryan

I have been corresponding witha  6.3 owner in the USA who recommends something like "Kiwi Scuff Stuff" shoe cleaner (liquid polish) to "dye" those areas of my leather than are more brown than black....not sure what Styria will say to that idea.....await his comments!

s class

AMG69,

I'm interested to hear what you find out about that kiwi stuff.  My black leather seats are in a very similar condition to yours.  Do a search on this forum, there was a thread earlier this year about leather - Ithink the product was called leatherique or something.  Expensive stuff, but it makes fantastic claims for its restorative properties. 

Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

AMG69

oscar

What a list!! Thanks heaps for those links too.  It's always good to see where others have been so I don't have to be the guinea pig so to speak. That LED shop is innovative.  It's the way to go but whenever I've thought about LED's I envisioned having to solder wires and resistors to come up with solutions.   It's good to see these guys have done all the hard work and calculations and devised "plug in" solutions.  I didn't realise how much adsitco sold either.

BTW, speaking of guinea pigs, I have a leather steering wheel that has faded on one side.  I'll put this KIWI stuff on and post in the other thread.  I'll give it a week or so, and put it out in the sun, before I post a result in the relevant thread.

Regards. Simon.

nathan

Big O,
if you put the shoe polish on the wheel, dont leave it inthe sun for a week, youll never get the crap off and the colour will be wack!

i mentioned the shoe polish to chris a while back...my blue leather seats were a bit faded so i used some ofthe shoe polish and sure enough, they looked pretty darn good (even the colour match i got was fortuunate!)....now i take no formal responsibility though....it lasted about 1 year in effect for someone who only uses their car once/week...in addition, im not in the habit of breaking out don johnsons white pants, so i wouldnt have noticed if some had rubbed onto my dark trousers....anyhow, knock yourselves out!
best regards
nathan
PS oscar, i will try and email you my befores and afters
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

AMG69

Styria,
yes, entire car was resprayed after all rust repairs and some minor dents repaired; so many panels had been worked on it just made sense to paint the whole car; apart from the AMG badge being in the wrong spot I am very pleased with the result.
The leather debate is a tough one - in any event I have spent enough for one year ( :P) and new leather -fitted- at say $5000 is just too much to contemplate at present!
cheers
Chris

s class

Stay away from shoe polish.  Years a go I had a big date with a girl I fancied and decided the 280SE needed to be spiffed up so I used black shoe polish on my black leather.  Looked fantastic.  My black pants were fine.  Her cream pants were not fine.  It was the last date. She said some hateful things about old mercedes. 

Ryan

AMG69

Ryan,
was it the liquid sort or the paste type of polish??
Chris

s class

Well to steer this dating thread back towards leather, one of the reasons my leather needs work, especially on the passenger seat is due to one "heavyweight" girl I dated for a while.  I was astounded how much wear her weight caused to the poor passenger seat.  I'm a small guy and 10 years of sitting in the drivers seat has made hardly any noticable impact on its state of wear.