News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

450SEL - W116 London UK

Started by 2bad82, 12 July 2018, 07:54 AM

2bad82

So, I purchased my first W116, i have previously owned a 1987 SL420 about 10 years ago which was a beautiful car but i had always hankered after a Big Benz and for me it was a toss up between the W116 and W126, they are both great cars and although the W126 clearly made a lot of headway in terms of comfort and luxuary the W116 just has something special for me. It feels like the birthplace for the what the W126 became, it also feels like a stark change to its predecessor the W108. Admittedly i do love the dash and steering wheel from the W108 and for me if i had to hate on anything with the W116 its the steering wheel and dash they at times just don't feel special enough for the car. From a ride and mod co perspective i also wish it had few of the advances from the W126. But anyway it is what it is my plan is to keep this car for the very long term.

I purchased the car for £9k, she needs 2 new tyres, 1 brake caliper and a few elements of chrome replacing\polishing. Being a late 1979\80 model she is just shy the RoadTax and MOT exemption which is annoying but i struggled to find the combination i was after, I knew i absolutely wanted the SEL not SE and I had seen a 280 but it had neither the sunroof or electric windows both a no go for me. So this is the car i went with, i personally feel I have over paid for her by about £2k however saying that i can't seem to find any W116 SEL on Ebay at the minute available.

Color, it does stand out! However for me its just  abit too garish, i think if it was the Champaign gold i would have left it, but in my mind i think of the Godfather and Met Black, so thats exactly where she is right now in the garage having a full colour change by DARC Restorations in East London.

I will post some pictures of the work as we go along, they should begin stripping her tomorrow, and i am hoping for a 3 week turn around.

Additional modifications: I have just fitted a Clifford G5 Mk2 CAT1 alarm system with Remote Start and a Tracker to top it off, in Black honestly i think this car gets pinched regularly i need to make sure i keep hold of her!
I have replaced the ageing speakers with size approprioate Audison 2ways front and Rear also a ClassD Pioneer Amp and for a little bit of 21st Tech we have fitted an Android based head unit with a slim 8.8inch screen jutting from the dash. Attached to a rear parking camera. Having Google maps and blutooth at your fingertips cant be underestimated and for me was important.

The wheels are simple 15inch steels with hubcaps, I do like the Bundt Alloys and i found some 15's but i think for the minute im gona stick with the hub caps i like the colour matching, however the cars stance is not quite right, i prefer the stance the Hyrdoneumatic suspension gives the 6.9 it looks like they sit slightly lower than all the other W116's and of course they have slightly wider wheels.

The only options i found were H&R springs to drop her 30mm but i got a feeling i need a 15mm drop not 30mm, plus the ride is already not brilliant dropping most likely makes that worse. With a car like this ride refinement is something you would hope for and i have begun looking at AIR Suspension but the kit is coming in @£2.5k +£1k Fitting! Thats a chunk of Change...

I would appreciate from the suspension side of things any thoughts from the forum, i want to improve the ride and lower her a tad I am in the UK so i need something that could either be sent here than fitted and also something thats wont kill the bank.

Thanks

Alex

daantjie

Very nice, another Goldie ;)!
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

ptashek

Ah-ha, so you've bought the only other Irish Icon Gold W116! Makes mine even more special now!

I'd keep that colour though, it really is a head turner in the ocean of modern blandness.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

gavin116

Hi Alex

Congratulations on the new acquisition. You'll find the more you drive your 116 the more you will love it. It would be well worth it to look at ptasheck's restoration post, it is truly inspiring. I went with larger rims, 16" in fact. Just had the suspension refurbished, the ride is actually okay. Also have a reversing camera that hooks on to my Becker satnav.

Enjoy! As a footnote I must get my act together and do a UK 116.org meeting.

Gavin
1979 450SE "Mrs White"
2022 Touareg-R 3.0TSi Hybrid
[url="http://forum.w116.org/test-drive/my-first-w116-here-at-last/"]http://forum.w116.org/test-drive/my-first-w116-here-at-last/[/url]
[url="http://forum.w116.org/the-org/british-near-london-meet/msg97613/#msg97613"]http://forum.w116.org/the-org/british-near-london-meet/msg97613/#msg97613[/url]

Type17

I know the car, it used to belong to a friend of mine in the MB Club Leinster region (part of the UK MB Club). The car started life in Jersey, Channel Islands, went to the mainland UK, was exported by its then-owner to Australia, spent a few years there, before being brought back to the UK, was exported to Ireland where it was owned by a few different owners (including my friend), and now it has returned to the UK...

PS: The only genuine MB 15" hubcaps are from a Mercedes 600, so these are probably pretty rare and expensive - if you do fit alloys, don't do anything silly with them.

'76 350SE in Silver-Green

Gerard

I had that car for a few years in Dublin. You can search all my old posts for a bit of history. I really enjoyed the car while I had it. I had to sell it as I was completing a course of study and had no income.Siegfried got the chop. I wish you all the best with it. Gerard.

Edit.  Just to add I'm the friend Type17 mentioned. Had a few nice days out with our 116's.

2bad82

Ahh Gerrad was it you who had her resprayed?

Gerard

No, not me. It was a few different shades of icon gold at the time but polished up very well. I also had 14" bundts.  I think the roof got Sun burnt in Australia.
I did a bit of engine work and front calioer rebuild. A few other odds and sods. New bumper and exhausts. did you get the history file with it? It had loads from Oz.

2bad82

Yep got the history file, the respray wasn't a great job to be honest it sunk a bit in places but it's going to get a proper bare metal this time. Il need to get the log book changed.
SHe also had some eletrical issue most likely from that respray where interior lights were wired up all wrong etc really annoying but fixed now.

I was tempted by some much cheaper 450SE's going for the £4k mark but really wanted the SEL.

Does anyone know how many 450SEL are still registered and on the Road in the UK?

Thanks for the heads up Type17 will do.

w116john

24 according to this website,   https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk

best of luck with the car happy motoring

john

2bad82

Thanks 24 is not alot. Il update once she is finished. thanks all.

Any thoughts on the suspension options welcome.

adamb

Congratulations on your purchase. It would be nice to see your car once you're done. Gavin, take that as a hint that it is a good time for a W116 meet-up in southern UK.

a couple if weekends ago I took the good weather as an opportunity to do some minor maintenance and give Mohan a good exterior clean and polish. Still comes out good some 7 years after the respray.

floyd111

Damn good looking car! I also thinks those rims are the job for a W116 this color.

2bad82

Argggh! I have a problem, there car ia now finished...but during tint process my rear window was cracked!! I need a replacement rear window :( Anyone have a solution? Or know of a w116 being broken for parts? :/

ptashek

Should be still available from Mercedes. At least that was the case 3 years ago, and the price I remember was about 700eur delivered, for a heated one. There might be aftermarket ones too.

If you PM me the exact chassis number I can check EPC for the correct part number.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE