News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

450SEL - W116 London UK

Started by 2bad82, 12 July 2018, 07:54 AM

2bad82

Thankyou yes is 11603322096350 is 1979 450SEL.

adamb

Search for cars being broken up on eBay.de and other places. No reason to pay silly prices to MB unless you're desperate. Sadly the 450 I broke a few years ago went to the crusher with many fine parts including most glass.

ptashek

OK, just checked. It's still available new from MB, at over 1000EUR...
Used ones go for much cheaper, if you're not afraid of shipping from Germany :)

Per EPC, this is the exact part number for your chassis:

A1166701080
Electrically heated, compound (laminated) glass, heat-absorbing
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

2bad82

Ok still looking for a rear windscreen, think were gona have to go to poland. But on a seperate  note i have a new problem!

H&R springs 30mm drop, had the garage install these and they have comr out horrible! For some reason the front of the car appears lower than the rear?

I am worried they have fitted the rear springs to the front or something? Or maybe taken out the bump stops at the top of the suspension on the front. Please ser the photo. The rear height looks as i expected it but the front looks too low?

alabbasi

Nice car, Ikon gold is probably one of my favorite 70's colors. What part of London?
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

Type17

Were the springs rated for your exact 116?
If they were for a 280, for example, the heavier V8 will make the front sit too low while the rear would look the same.
On some cars, even the presence/absence of aircon can mean a different set of front springs, so it's pretty important.
'76 350SE in Silver-Green

2bad82

Hi nope. I couldnt find any specifix to my model tho see attachment

ptashek

H&R list those springs as fitting the entire W116 model range, and given that a 280SE is at least 150kg lighter overall than a standard 450SEL and most of that difference is likely at the front axle, that makes no sense at all...
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

Type17

In addition, they seem to list the same spring (part no 29069) for the front as well as the rear - I can't believe that the weight distribution of any W116 is exactly 50:50.
'76 350SE in Silver-Green

floyd111

If you had a contact somewhere with a dyna or a regular spring tester, you could take your old springs and check them for spring rate, Newton and such. It is a super simple 2 minute event at the tester, and it would allow you to choose the right aftermarket springs, front and rear. Spring length and diameter are easy. Don't you have a friendly Ohlins Service Center in the area, or another company of that ilk? They would have that spec number ready for you in a jiffy if you hand carry your original springs there.. What you received in springs here seems illogical and unacceptable to me. Do not let that supplier get away with this. For him to make his case at all, he will have to show spring rate proof as well, and he will not be able to. That's a return/refund case, as far as I am concerned. Once you have that correct spring rate number, you can ignore everything else, brand, supposed car model fitment, MY's, and just buy a pair anywhere, based on spec alone.

rumb

H&R doesnt even list springs for W116 chassis.

http://www.hrsprings.com/application/search/resultsbymake/25/Suspension

This fleabay listing say for 280S only below the picture but above it say "280S,280SE/-SEL,350 SE/SEL,450 SE/-SEL " which as stated before makes no sense as the cars weigh entirely different amount front and rear.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/H-R-lowering-springs-29069-1-fits-Mercedes-Benz-W116-30-30mm-/281922124661

Some enterprising chaps have figured out these spring will fit on a W116, but not that they will work.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

2bad82

Buga. This is not looking good. So really i need a spacer/bump stop or another set of front springs.. is a lot of messing to take all the springs out again. :/

Suprised nobody else has lowered their w116 in the UK. It sits really nice at thr back  now. Just need to do the front. I will complain to the ebay suplier.

floyd111

Even if you can make these springs fit, spacers or not, there's no telling what rate they are. I guess if you aren't too bothered with ride comfort, it's probably a non-topic. You could try and hope to get lucky with the ride. Also, there's only a small chance that the rate is so far off that you risk losing control of the car during braking in corners, in the rain, or during sudden moves on the highway.
I am the wrong one to comment, I guess. As an Ohlins man, we don't condone such modifications without backup data. Lowering springs reduces stroke in the shocks, changes the geometry of the car. Someone who knows and cares about these things should be advising you on these matters, locally. Safety can be an issue, but I would not exclude the importance of getting the best ride possible, with all the money and effort that goes into these cars.