News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

450sel 5.0ltr 500sel engine !!!

Started by 450sel5.0, 23 October 2011, 01:12 AM

450sel5.0

Here it is people, I have spent 2 weeks putting this together, 8) goes hard and only needed minor mods, extended tailshaft by 35mm, changed shape of sump at the rear to give enough clearance. I used the original alternator, powersteer pump and air cond pump from the 450. Changing my oil filter is going to be a pain because I will have to remove the battery and battery tray every time, but who cares !!!
4 speed auto behind it now too, the selector lever needed to be extended also, no big deal. Engine mounts off the 450 bolt right on the 500 engine so all good.
One of the easiest conversions ever.  ;D

Big_Richard

what did you do re the speedo ?

I know the povo version cars that use that transmission housing such as the 190 etc use a cable operated speedo extension housing that you can bolt straight onto the v8s' 4 speed auto. or did you do something else? as correct me if im wrong, all w126s had electronic speedos ?

1980sdga

I guess that's an M117?  Sounds like a good combination.

Mforcer

If my engine ever dies (or needs major, major repairs), this is what I will do.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

Casey

Quote from: 450sel5.0 on 23 October 2011, 01:12 AM
Changing my oil filter is going to be a pain because I will have to remove the battery and battery tray every time, but who cares !!!

How about relocating the battery to the trunk?  I've thought about doing that to mine...

adamb

Very nice conversion. Two weeks for a professional or person close to being a professional, I'd say. Well done. But what is the motivation? Is it for the fun of it, or just a spare mint W116 chassis?

When my 6,9 engine is dead, I think it'll be replaced by a modern 3 litre turbo diesel - same torque, nearly the same power, and 2-3 times improved fuel economy. Or how about an electric conversion - plenty of space under the bonnet or where the fueld tank goes - ideal for those of us who do 50 mile trips tops.

Big_Richard

Quote from: adamb on 27 October 2011, 11:15 AM
Very nice conversion. Two weeks for a professional or person close to being a professional, I'd say. Well done. But what is the motivation? Is it for the fun of it, or just a spare mint W116 chassis?

When my 6,9 engine is dead, I think it'll be replaced by a modern 3 litre turbo diesel - same torque, nearly the same power, and 2-3 times improved fuel economy. Or how about an electric conversion - plenty of space under the bonnet or where the fueld tank goes - ideal for those of us who do 50 mile trips tops.

I dont think 6.9 engines die unless you really want it to  8)

BTW, i would purchase a different model to do an engine conversion, ie a 280SE etc with a dead motor as the 6.9 will become worthless without that m100 in there.

and my second BTW, turbo diesels may look fantastic on paper, but they are infuriating to drive if your used to the instant throttle responce of a petrol car, pulling out in heavy traffic maybe fatal and theyre also breathless in higher revs and run out of revs very quickly. Having said that, you get used to it like anything else.

1980sdga

Someone had to say the "D" word  ;D

I like these engine conversions!  No way would I want to replace an original 6.9 but a modern powerplant would be sweet in a 116  8)

Fuel management seems to have evolved a lot faster than basic chassis engineering and these cars were cutting edge at the time.

What's the story on the side lettering?

Mforcer

I like the fact that the engine bay still looks relatively original.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

oscar

Never mind the "D" word.  Someone said the "E" word!  Clarkson would confiscate your car Adam if he heard you wanted to do that to the iconic 6.9 :D

Awsome job 450sel5.0.  It's been said before the best way to get more oomph from a 450 is to whack a 5.0L M117 in.  It just looks at home, noone would be the wiser and no need for a car to get an engineer's inspection.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

calvin streeting

jbrasile

This is such a cool conversion! Did you keep the 4 speed box from the 500 as well?

Tks,

Joe

adamb

Quote from: oscar on 01 November 2011, 06:54 AM
Never mind the "D" word.  Someone said the "E" word!  Clarkson would confiscate your car Adam if he heard you wanted to do that to the iconic 6.9 :D

Didn't say I want to do it. I got the 6.9 because of the engine and not in spite of it. But there may come a time when it is as dead as a dodo - whatchagonnado? OK, how about a modern 5L V8 at 400bhp!

Casey

Quote from: adamb on 02 November 2011, 08:12 AM
OK, how about a modern 5L V8 at 400bhp!

You could use an AMG SL73 engine.  7.3 liters and 525hp.  Or the newer S-class 6.0L with 621hp.  It all just depends how ridiculous you want to be. ;)