News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

450sel 4spd manual worth $800?

Started by hokman, 13 July 2005, 04:13 PM

hokman

I have a feeling that the S350 V6 instead of V8 too.

Why doesn't S350 use V8 and why does benz change from straight 6 to V6?

Mforcer

I believe MB went to V6 from I6 due to cost. They probably found it cheaper to focus on their V8 engines and remove two cylinders than continue to develop a seperate line of engines (I know it is not as simple as removing 2 cylinders).

For anyone interested in engines, there is a fascinating article in the library analysing the design of the 3.5L V8 used in the 350 SE/SEL and other MBs. I would assume that the 4.5L is effectively the same engine but with a longer stroke.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

sd300

My Apologies the weak diff were found in 6.3 and not 6.9  It was floating in my head. I read it from
" Illustrated MB buyer's guide" by Lee Gohlike.
Very informative.

With the price of gas/petrol now I won't be contemplating any 6.3 or 6.9  I already have a big 73 Cadillac Eldorado. She has ready for this 8.2 litre.  Richard Nixon gave one fo these to Leonid Brehznev circa 70's.

Is front wheel drive too. My bro drove it here 400 miles, and it got 20 MPG on Hwy. So is not such a pig.
My 300SD get about 30+MPG too.
We pay 85c for DSL and 92c for Gas.

Hokman
 Back to your almost acquisition, u may walk away from the 350.
I don't think I heard of a 350 4spd. But perhaps I can be called a card carrying MB aficionado yet.
Custom built cars are best to avoid, you will have a great time to find parts. Since not too many folks will know what exactly is the engine /trans etc.

have I read somewhere, u reside in Canada?
I am in Northern BC.

I have also drove the 600 pulmann a bit many yrs ago. My rich Uncle had one, i drove it more.

hokman

I live in lower mainland.

I still don't know if I should choose a broken 350se over a toyota celica xx 2.8/ supra.

Mforcer

I would never have bought my car except for the circumstances it became available (originally owned by my grand father) but having it now means I just don't enjoy driving any other car. These cars were designed for cruising and nothing is more enjoyable than hitting the highway and leaving all the worries of the modern world behind. They have a discreet class and charm that most other cars lack apart from others MBs.

You will never regret having a 116 but it is also very different than any Toyota which should be very clear just from looking at the cars. The way they drive and handle are completely different and the way the 116 will hold and comfort you will make you smile. The 116 will probably not beat the Supra around the race track but it will get you there in style. Also nothing beats the 3-pointed star at the end of the bonnet, leading you as you drive.

In the end, it is pretty clear; get the 350SE :D
Michael
2006 B200

hokman

450se, you're absolutely right.  The soul reason I'm buying this car is to show off to my friends who's been always better off than I do.  And I'm in shame to admit so late that I'm only 18 and am getting my first car.  Imagine how smug I'll look arriving at my friend's house in this car.  You know in movies, to show someone important has arrived they always place the camera near the ground and then a benz or some other prestigious car rushes to the camera and stops quickly just in front and not crash in to the camera.  And then some guy from the front seat comes out and opens the door for the boss behind by pulling open the door handle.  And then the boss steps out very slowly and shot at a very cool angle and then a courageous melody comes on.  That car on the camera would only look right if it's a 116 or some roller because of its stance and presence.  You must know what I'm talking about.  See, you can already tell how immature I am.  Sorry about that.

In the supra, I'm just looking for a sporty driving experience and ease of maintainence.

sd300

hokman
 U may want to hold back a bit instead of jumping into this 350se, there should be more different MB on lower mainland.

I don't know what budget are you on? But if u can afford a Supra at the same time, then u should look for a newer MB. Very often we need to keep changing cars and wait for a good one came around.

You also look for what's the value of the car later on when you sink all these money in.

Regardless of what car you buy, a compression test is very important. Is only $18 at Walmart.
Trying to save that and another hour of your time may bring endless grief to u.

Is your Aunt selling her 560 too? If good price I may be interest too.

I saw one similar model sat at a small repair shop on Lougheed hwy coquitlam, looks like she had her head off! See doing major work on these cars are very expensive.

Fof a 450 or 350 don't think u get much better than 15 MPG for city driving.

You can also ask ICBC for any collision on the car, and check liens, Police if the car is hot too.

There are a few members in www.mbcanada.ocm resides in Vancouver too.

www.hopefungautoparts.com in richmond , Jeff is a very nice fellow too. I got my oil filter and shocks from him, very reas price.

sd300

Walmart sell compression gauge, but not perform the test for you for $18.00

Garages charges more for that.

MBs are nice cars, but there're lots of them let them run down to irrepairable state.
And end up like a bottomless pit.
Even my car i have to justify my repairs, I could drop 3-4000 tomorrow in it just like nothing.

hokman

But I see lots of people take a dying car and than restore it to perfection.  Do these people get the car for free?

I can't find any other s-class for under $1000, not even lower models!

sd300

Thats is very true, lots of folks take dead cars and restored them to pristine showroom shape.
To these folks money is totally no object.
They will pay $1000 for a shell and put in another 10-20 grand for a start. Some by the time they finish he would have dropped 50Gs in the car. Lucky if they can get 50 cents on a dollar though.
Some cars do appreciate many times over, and some will never achieve any cult status.

So if u start to do that, research the style, make , that was produced very few to begin with.
Sports model will usually hit exponential numbers, look at Hemi cudas, Shelby Mustangs, orig AC Cobras.

Many yrs ago when Enzo passed away, every Italian cars started to appreciate!

Thats my cheap logic.

Anyways i changed the oil on my SD last night and turn up the key in the transmission modulator.  trans is gripping so much better. it did slips a bit before the tune up when put pedal to metal, it doesn't now.
Totally much nicer car.
There are a few things i need to do, then the car will be almost 100% to drive.
Plus a good paint job, not sure how long and far will i keep pouring $$ in it.

hokman

your S-class has the 5 cylinder turbo diesel?  That's pretty rare.  And should be more reliable than the petrol models.  I'm happy your transmission shifts smoothly now.

I found another 116, it's a black 280se and has no number plate.  It's in front of a garage, wonder if it's for sale.

sd300

The 116 diesel only came out 78-80 so not as many as gassers.
The whole 116 numbers are dwindling by now, newest are 25 yrs old. I guess it should appreciate slowly.

Being 280se , you could give them a try, worse is say no, but sometimes if u show genuine sincerity they may sell it to u for good price. Esp haves they like their things go appreciated.

Just your other 350 4spd, looks pretty hoky, worse is home conversion job, u need psychic's help inorder to get parts.

Dsl are a little cheaper to run, close to 30 MPG. With gas don't expect to get over 15-16.

There is a 280e  123 body on www.usedvancouver.com for $700. And that maybe a good deal. Same eng as 280se, I think they have twin cams.

Is your first car, u don't want a real money pit!

Mforcer

Quote from: "hokman"450se, you're absolutely right.  The soul reason I'm buying this car is to show off to my friends who's been always better off than I do.  And I'm in shame to admit so late that I'm only 18 and am getting my first car.  Imagine how smug I'll look arriving at my friend's house in this car.  You know in movies, to show someone important has arrived they always place the camera near the ground and then a benz or some other prestigious car rushes to the camera and stops quickly just in front and not crash in to the camera.  And then some guy from the front seat comes out and opens the door for the boss behind by pulling open the door handle.  And then the boss steps out very slowly and shot at a very cool angle and then a courageous melody comes on.  That car on the camera would only look right if it's a 116 or some roller because of its stance and presence.  You must know what I'm talking about.
I know exactly what you are talking about and this is one of the things that puts a smile on my face as I drive my car! It is about the style  8)  8)  8)
Michael
2006 B200

hokman

thanks for looking for me, that w123 looks good.

sd300

Hokman
 there's a few more 450 se FS on buy n sell, www.buysell.com
Not sure what state are they in.

Do u have some budget to work on?
SOme cars u need to really know ahead, just like another guy wanted a G wagen. he told me everything is expensive , esp on the power train, so as the 4 matic, the transfer case is 3-4000 and no substitues.

Plan ahead now as what u want to do, not because something looks flashy, but comes with a real stiff price!