News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

450 SEL (special protection version)

Started by PzGren, 28 June 2011, 03:24 PM

dsantamans

Same car, on one of the photos is the pennant holder....what a shame, I want the doors!!!!

MB_Mike

Not the same car imho. The link takes you to a 6.9 that has been listed for sale or parts for quite some time. This thread is about a 450 SEL. Plus all the other stuff people said...

PzGren, I can't recall if I asked you this before, but where in NY are you? I am up in the Finger Lakes and would love to meet another area 116 owner.

EDIT: I don't know what I am talking about. Clearly there are 2 116 cars listed under the sellers id. Too bad about this one.
1987 Home market 560 SEL

s class

It is the same car.  The flag holder is only on the right front fender. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

calvin streeting

My bad.. wonder if they still have the pole.. might msg them, if they are breaking it. Would prefer a set, wonder if they are still avalible. Might msg joe :)

PzGren

Well, this is odd... That is my car but her lights aren't for sale and it's not being parted out. In fact, the car is safely in my driveway (It really should be in the garage) and I've been making small improvements to it as the weeks go by. I'd like to get more done quicker but I haven't had the time. Don't worry, of all the things I could do to the car the last thing would be parting it out. The seller of the lights has to be the same guy who sold me the car. I would say the eBay listing is BS but i do remember the car having a pair of euro lights in it's trunk that seller said I couldn't have, and he also mentioned that he owns a 6.9.

PzGren

Also, I could use some help mounting the correct bumper on the car. The car was sold to me with a US-spec bumper. -luckily, I keep a spare rear Euro bumper with me at all times. What's the easiest way to get this thing on the car?

1980sdga

I can't help with the mounting but it's going to look nice.

s class

Excellent!  I'm glad to hear this car is not being parted. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Big_Richard

I've over the years come to the belief that  the US to "rest of world" bumper version conversion isn't quite straight forward since the mounting points are totally different between the 2.

many people have done it though so someone will know whats required.

Nutz

Mounting Euro spec on US spec? Rear is easy, front is kinda of a PITA. Wrap the outer edge of the rear bumper with some towels for starters, so you don't scrape a gouge into the paint. Mount rear center 17mm bolts first, then attach the outside sections.

southshields

I had some trouble logging in since I signed up because my password was always wrong (though it wasn't) :'(

The W116 special protection versions are very interesting, especially the Armalite model.  Did other companies armor the W116 as well?  I think I have seen or read about versions protected by Marazzi (Italy) and LabbĂ© (France).  I have seen Marazzi Alfa Romeos and Maserati and LabbĂ© Peugeot 604.

I found this white 450 SEL on search: http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/showDetails.html?id=153700569
The ad does not say it is factory armored (werkspanzer).  The weight is 2,150 kg and  the glass is not fixed, more than 1-inch thick.  Is it an Armalite car or some other?

PzGren

I decided to keep It. Restoring it will be a fun and interesting process. The car has been in storage for the last few months and it'll be awhile before it gets back home.

PzGren

Quote from: southshields on 16 November 2011, 08:13 PM
I found this white 450 SEL on search: http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/showDetails.html?id=153700569
The ad does not say it is factory armored (werkspanzer).  The weight is 2,150 kg and  the glass is not fixed, more than 1-inch thick.  Is it an Armalite car or some other?
Do you remember what the car sold for?