News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

450 SEL (special protection version)

Started by PzGren, 28 June 2011, 03:24 PM

s class

Quote from: wbrian63 on 30 June 2011, 06:51 AM
what's this hot water tap on the firewall thing?

Its a valve to regulate engine coolant through the cabin heater core.  Its found only on non-ACCII cars I believe. 

Quote from: wbrian63 on 30 June 2011, 06:51 AM
Also - what's the white tank at the radiator on the driver's side?

Reservoir for the hydro fluid.  This car has conventional rear-end SLS, not 6.9 style full hydro suspension. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

PzGren

The guy who sold it to me said that it belonged to an Iranian but he had no papers to show any proof of previous diplomat ownership. Also can't get the manual sunroof to open. I tried twisting the handle in both directions but it wont budge. I don't wanna use too much force -might break something.

Casey

Quote from: PzGren on 30 June 2011, 12:42 PM
The guy who sold it to me said that it belonged to an Iranian but he had no papers to show any proof of previous diplomat ownership.

Out of sheer curiosity, are you willing to tell us how much he sold this for?

dsantamans

PzGren,

I'm the same guy identified as ferguson126 in benzworld,

For opening the sunroff:

1. seat at the rear.
2. turn the handle down 90º, and it shows like an anchor.
3. twist the handle 180º to liberate the secures.
4. pull the handle firnly to the front of the car.  It must slide to the front but if it hasn't been opened for year it could lake grease and operations is "hard".

You will not broke anything, ..., it's a manual sunroof. ;-)

Squiggle Dog

That is amazing and very interesting!
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

KenM

Not necessarily an ex diplomatic car, companies like Armalite and OHE did conversions for many private people also who had need of such things. The rear sunroof is a standard safety feature too, it's there so the occupant can

escape the vehicle that way if the need arises, this is why the sunroof is usually a manual operation so it can still be opened if the car is disabled. You might find that the reason it's hard to open is simply due to the weight, as   

dsantamans says, give it a yank it won't break. These older armoured cars with the windows that don't wind down are very claustrophobic, lucky the a/c works because it will heat up pretty quick without and become

unbearable. Enjoy the fuel consumption... ;D

Casey

Quote from: KenM on 02 July 2011, 07:33 PM
Not necessarily an ex diplomatic car, companies like Armalite and OHE did conversions for many private people also who had need of such things.

But what sort of private person has need of flagpole holders?

KenM

Yeah good point Casey, thought of that myself but not till after my last of course, never mind. It would seem likely that flag holders signify some sort of official function, I dunno, have seen a few cars here over the years where

the owner is obviously extremely important and has felt the need to have their own emblem in place of the car's original one but having one's own flag fitted is really going a bit far.

Big_Richard

I'm sure some pretentious individual could of owned it with a winking headshot with thumbs up of him self flapping on the flagpoles as he got driven around the suburbs  ::)

1980sdga

Would've been better as a diesel, less flammable fuel.

Fast getaways could be problematic though  ;D  Hell, getting it rolling with a diesel could be problematic  ;D

PzGren

Quote from: Raptelan on 29 June 2011, 08:08 AM
  Are you planning on restoring the vehicle?
Don't know yet. I don't know if I should keep it or sell it. If I sold it I would probably never seen another one again within the United States. I still need to weigh out the pros and cons. It's a though one.

s class

I think it must be.  That is very sad. 

I'm scratching my head now about getting my brother in New York to try buy the whole car.  But he has NO parking or storage space. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

calvin streeting

Are you sure they are the same car.. as one in post has pennet flag fittings (so want them :) ). But the one on ebay dosnt...

Casey

Quote from: calvin streeting on 20 October 2011, 11:41 AM
Are you sure they are the same car.. as one in post has pennet flag fittings (so want them :) ). But the one on ebay dosnt...

The one on eBay is a two-year different model as well.