News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

450 SEL Interest

Started by 90077merc, 03 September 2020, 03:26 PM

90077merc

Hello, I'm interested in buying a 450 SE/SEL or any W116 for that matter. I'm in love with the design. Can anyone point me to a forum topic on things to watch out for? Thank you!
1974 450 SEL

daantjie

Go big or go home, get a 6.9 ;D

The 450SEL actually is a great option, and if you do not need the extra hp and the hydro suspension, then by all means the 450 is a bomber option.  Great road feel on all the 116 cars but on the 450 it is just right with the extra power and nice V8.

Biggest issue is rust.  Motor and trans are very robust, unless of course neglected.  Try and hold off for a nice one, they are quite plentiful, and as always it's best to pay upfront for a nice one than buy a needy one, they have a tendency to bleed you dry slowly if you get a crappy one.  Price wise, crappy ones @ 5K, nice ones at 10K and really nice low mile one owner ones can easily crack 20K+  Add 5 - 10K for 6.9 under same conditions.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

floyd111

<what he said.
Don't go cheap and impulsive on your purchase, unless you're a guy with 2 mechanical hands, lots of time and a middle class bank account. Silly people like me are more abundant than you'd think. :D
Take your time to find someone with some W116 experience in your vicinity. Can make all the difference.

rumb

Rust.  pull the floor mats out and look at floor and firewall. Moisture like to get trapped in the hinge corners of the firewall and rust out.  Exterior just inspect wheel arches.  Try the jack to see if jack point are rusted inside the rocker panels.

A good interior! -  parts are very hard to find if they need replacing.

rubber parts and fuel lines. check under the gas tank and look at the fuel pump area.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

90077merc

Thank you, all! What you said confirms my research!
1974 450 SEL

90077merc

Well, I just had my first taste of a w116 repair bill. I reviewed 2 years of mechanic invoices from a prospective seller which come close to $20,000. There is also a model for sale in Marina Del Rey which has about 40,000 miles with the same prior repair scenario. I assume the w116s (these were a 450 se and 450 sel, respectively) remain fairly stable after major overhauls?
1974 450 SEL

daantjie

Well if you have major jobs done at shop rates it'll eat your lunch all day long :o
Best scenario would be to wrench on it yourself if you can.  They are pretty easy to work on if you are somewhat mechanically inclined.
Best thing once sorted is regular and vigorous use.  They like to ge driven hard and fast, think autobahn ;)
Daniel

90077merc

1974 450 SEL

daantjie

Looks tidy but that's a lot of scratch for a non 6.9 IMHO.  Also  DJET fuel injection personally does not warm my cockles...KJET is the only way to go for me at least.
Daniel

rumb

The big plus's of that car is low miles and what looks like very good condition.  The big 2 year repair bill hopefully was replacement of rubber hoses and bits and fluid replacements.  Just being 40 years old they need replacement. Look at what work was done, but one could assume that all the work brings it up to snuff for many years of good driving.  I only saw a few hoses that could warrant inspection.
If this car fits your bill and you like it, it should be a good purchase.  The higher than normal price I think reflects the low mileage of the car.

Find a local independent MB shop and/or do work yourself. 
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

90077merc

The low mileage versus higher mileage and completed (hopefully) repairs is an interesting trade-off. I am researching K versus D Jetronic systems, so thank you for that. I also am considering this as my favorite so far: https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/mercedes-benz/450sel/2406997.html
1974 450 SEL

Randys01

The low mileage D jet is the Go here.!  no question about it if you have the money. yes..it's top dollar but what an example?! The brown K jet is terrific too but genuine low mileage is hard to argue. As for D v K..........? The D jet is a bit more powerful..a bit  thirstier and a bit more expensive.
the big money on these tubs is..the body..the trim..the tranny..the motor . Things like injectors..fuel pumps...chicken feed. This car ticks..prima facie..all the big ticket items.
As they say around here.."it's a no brainer". This car is instant "gather round' at any Sunday club meet.

floyd111

Wow.. hemmings. why not, haha! 
No doubt a great reputation, but damn.. 25 grand for 140000 miles..
If  they'd be confident enough to offer you even 1 year full warranty, then maybe.
But without it.. It's steep.