News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

4.5 Cylinder D-Jet Question

Started by thysonsacclaim, 04 October 2012, 01:42 AM

thysonsacclaim

Does anyone know, or know where I can find out which cars are compatible with my set of cylinder heads ('74 D-Jet). I've been looking around and it appears the W116 and R107 models, but are there any others? I'd like to add more models to my listing, but I'm lacking a definitive resource and don't want to mislead anyone.

Would the EPC have this information?

jbrasile

Adam,

The 280SE/SEL 4.5 and the 300SEL 4.5 also used the M117 with D-Jet, I believe the heads should interchange.

I suggest checking the p/n's in the EPC just to make sure. You may run into a compression ratio issue due to the different emission requirements for US cars varying from year to year, that may have an impact on the head's design so the p/n will determine which heads you can use in your application.

Tks,

Joe

thysonsacclaim

Thank you Joe!

I re-installed the EPC (I upgraded my computer a few months ago and never put it back on).

Do you know if the casting numbers are the same as the p/n's?

The heads I have came off an early model with no smog pumps, so I think it is the higher compression one, but I am unsure.

Anyway, thanks for sending me in the right direction.

Best wishes

Adam

jbrasile

Adam,

Not sure about the casting numbers, I would try the p/n search function with the numbers from the removed heads to see if it works.

Tks,

Joe

Tony66_au

I didn't think there was pollution control on D jet?

1974450SEL

Quote from: Tony66_au on 05 October 2012, 08:13 PM
I didn't think there was pollution control on D jet?

I am curious about this to.  I thought pre 75 had no emissions equipment.

thysonsacclaim

There was none on mine and it was a '74, but there were different models for the US market IIRC. This is because of California, which almost always has more progressive / stringent laws on things like pollution, emissions, etc. Hence the phrase "Where California goes, so goes the nation" meaning that Ca is the harbinger of how things will change in rest of country.

Anyway, if you goto Autohausaz and check out the Timing Chain Tensioner for a 1974 D-Jet 450SE, you'll see two. One with hose for smog pump and one without. It then says this:

QuoteFor California models with engine serial number through 013740. For Federal (non-California) models with engine serial number through 029566. 1 per car.

and

QuoteFor California models with engine serial number from 013741 through 039562. For Federal (non-California) models with engine serial number from 029567 through 039562. For cars with smog pump connection. 1 per car.

I could be completely wrong, but this is what I thought. A lot of things are modified for the California market OR, to keep everything the same, are changed for all other 49 states. Another example you'll see tags like this:

There are always "California Tags". Also, if you'll remember, my cylinder heads came off another '74 450 SE (confirmed that) and had the same numbers off the ones on my car. They were for D-Jet. However, the fuel injector mounting was different. One used a 'seal' and the other used an 'insulator.' Other than that, they are identical, and the injector go in fine as long as you put in the right piece.

Also, this:
QuoteThe first widespread introduction of catalytic converters was in the United States market, where 1975 model year gasoline-powered automobiles were so equipped to comply with tightening U.S. Environmental Protection Agency regulations on automobile exhaust emissions.

I think there are a very small number of '75 D-Jets or mid-late '74s with controls??? I know there are 1975 R107 D-Jets.

But again, I am not sure about any of this.

thysonsacclaim

Btw, I'm surprised no one pointed out that it says "4.5 Cylinder" hahaha. I'll have to correct that later...