News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

300SD value

Started by boatma1, 10 April 2019, 12:53 PM

boatma1

Hi all, first post here. I'm a former w123 240D owner, and I've been looking at getting a w116 for a while now.

I recently came across this one on Craigslist. https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/dallas-1980-mercedes-benz-300sd/6858417254.html

I'll be checking it out this weekend. I just thought I'd get everyone's opinion on how much a car like this is worth, and what might be the max you all would pay for this one. That is, assuming the engine runs well with minimal blow-by, and everything else is mechanically sound, and no rust.

The owner said that extra fuel tank might be T'ed in to the fuel line at the rear, and it is not a veggie oil conversion. First owner was a farmer, allegedly, so I think its more likely it was used to move red dye around. I will take a damn good look at that and make sure it's not set up for veg oil, as that would be a no-go for me.

The odometer stopped at 120k miles, and all 4 window monitors are not working. And hard to tell how the paint is, but the owner said the clear coat is worn through in places.

Any big red flags I'm not seeing? Let me know what you all think. I think this car might be worth saving, but it will need 4x window monitors, new carpet, a complete rear seat, and who knows what else.
1980 300SD

rumb

Here's the brutal truth of these cars.
carpets $900
dash $1000-2000
window motors/regulators $800-$1600/4
grill chrome strips $200
back seat $500-1500
wood refinish $1000-2000
tires $800
paint $4-8000+
heater/AC ???
Car from Texas may actually fare well in the rust department, but there is going to be some hiding.
Lots of rubber will need replacing - could be a couple thou

All fluids, fuel lines, brake lines, filters

So do you want to spend $20K bringing this car back to life or spend $10K+ on one that has always been maintained. There a lot of them out there.  Are you dong work yourself or using a mechanic?

There has been a post recently of bunch of 300SD for sale. Check them out for comparison.  They are way better than the one you are looking at.

I hope you can find a good car, they are great to drive!
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

boatma1

Thanks Rumb,

I agree with you on that. I was looking at this as something I could get looking just up to par and use as a daily driver, but you're probably right that I'd be way better off buying a nice example for far less than the cost to restore this to the same condition.
1980 300SD

daantjie

Yup this one is beat :'(
Be patient and the right one will come along.  First prize is always a 1 fastidious owner owned example.  Mileage is kind or arbitrary if maintenance was kept up and the car is well maintained,  these engines will truly run forever with some TLC, but if they've been abused then you need to run in the opposite direction like your hair is on fire as it will eat your lunch all day long :o
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

floyd111

?? The ad says that every 300SD is built on an SEL chassis? Is that true?

Harv

Sadly, that car is a parts car now. The cost of repairing everything is many many thousands.
1980 300SD
1983 240D
2000 E55 AMG
2002 G500

Squiggle Dog

It's still way better than the one I started out with. But, there are better examples to be had. I think the seller means that it's got a longer wheelbase than the 300D W123. And using the word "imported" is strange because these were only available to the North American market. None of the 300SDs had the long wheelbase of the SEL.
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+