News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

300SD left dieing by owner

Started by jpk.kiran, 04 November 2013, 08:09 AM

jpk.kiran

]Hello,

I am from Chennai, India.

I am great fan of the W116 300SD. As it is in this part of the world where I live in, W116 are a rarity.

I am looking forward to driving my first W116 300 SD soon.

During my search for one, I found one 5 years back but the owner did not
Want to sell it as it had a sentimental feeling since it belonged to his father.

Two days back, I go to the same place where the car was five yeas back.
The car is still standing in the same place - not moved nor started.

And the car I rotting now. I can only shed a few tears for this beauty.

I will post a few pictures shortly

Beastie

That's not a W116. it's actually a W126. And to be honest is does not look like it would be worth saving.
1979 280SEL

"She's built like a steakhouse, but she handles like a bistro."

jpk.kiran

John Hubertz

It is nice to hear from India - many great Mercedes enthusiasts there who keep their cars running for many many years.

The car is a W126 - one series newer than the W116 models of this site.  It often amazes me how often one runs into Mercedes automobiles in the oddest and most hidden/rural places.  I can't tell you the number of times I have been driving through the farmlands of the USA to see a Mercedes in the middle of a field next to a tree quietly rusting away.
John Hubertz
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
(Hunter S. Thompson) 

1977 450SEL (Max Headroom)
[img width=68 height=73][url="http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg"]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg[/url][/img]

gf

It seems to me talking to lots of foreign students the old diesel Mercedes cars are especially respected in india, lebanon and pakastan.  I agree with Beastie. I suspect to get a car in that condition  that has been sitting for so long in the tropics to actually run again would be an extremely costly and difficult project. Are you still looking for a w116?

jpk.kiran

Thank you..yes, I am looking for a good diesel car (116 or 126 or 123).
This car looks like a expensive project since it's so smashed up.

I was thinking of getting it off free from the owner as I am on a tight
budget here and then doing it up slowly.

KenM

Not wishing to discourage you or dampen your enthusiasm but that car looks totally rooted, even if you got it free of charge it could easily cost much more than it is actually worth to restore.

I would keep looking for a better example in going condition, you will have much more fun with something you can actually use while you restore it over time.

Good luck!!

jpk.kiran

Thank you, you have a point there, Ken.

Will be on the lookout.