News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

280SE value.

Started by Ben McKinley, 02 September 2009, 03:28 AM

Ben McKinley

For various reasons i need to find out how much my car is worth. I understand that this a hard thing to do with out looking at the car. But a ball park figure would be good enough. The car has done 205,000 odd kms, the a/c, suspension bushes, central locking, power windows, ball joint have all been fixed (by a very good mechanic) the battery replaced by a band new one (correct size, cost a fortune), new front tyres and many other little things fixed. However the paint is a bit average and the interior is not bad very serviceable but not stunning. The car is a 280SE in yellow with a cream interior. About what would the value be if it was to be sold?

Big_Richard

in what country are you in ?

Ben McKinley

Ben McKinley

The car was brought originally by the consul general of Egypt in Sydney. If it makes a difference.

craigb

This is such a hard question. If you were looking today for a good W116 that was average to look at but didn't need money spent on it because the previous owner had it all fixed, which provides you with something really valuable (well to me) being a very useable classic, then you can never seem to find one. I paid $2k in Adelaide for a 280s that had nearly $20k in receipts in the last 10 years, and yet you couldn't lock it, the gear change was horrible, none of the windows worked, central locking didn't work, broken diaphragm on air/ventilation, brakes needed doing, booster gone, noisy air, some rust, carby all wrong and not working properly, exhaust needed replacing etc. etc. etc.  Sounds like I spent too much, but the interior was very nice, new paint, new OE suspension, new good cond engine, rebuilt gearbox, diff, power steering, new seat bases etc. etc.  So now that I have fixed all that (I don't really want to know what I spent on parts and to pay someone to fix would probably be closer to $30k in receipts) and it is a fantastic car to drive, reliable, economical, classy etc. etc. very nice but not concourse, what is it worth? Not for sale but as I see other cars and I think about it sometimes, I bet I would be lucky to get $5k and my guess would be closer to $3k. So if I was selling, mine would be a good car to buy and save yourself all that money not having to do anything.

So back to your question, my honest guess, $3k if the paint looked reasonable or less if it really does need doing tops. I really really hope other disagree with me and value them higher! I spent about a W116 over $20k on my wifes used diesel Peugeot wagon - nice car but I prefer my W116 hands down and never really drive the other if I have a choice. Kids are the same. If I take them anywhere and ask which car they want to go in it is without exception responded to with yelling and jumping "the white car". Cost less to run and service the W116 and the Pug has probably devalued a few W116's in our ownership - just doesn't make sense!!  But I think you are driving a 'best kept secret' if it doesn't need money spent on it.

1980 280s

Papalangi

When you do an eBay search, look down the left side for a tick box for show completed auctions.  That way you get what they have sold for over the last month or so rather than what the lister hopes to get.

I found this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1977-Mercedes-Benz-only-69-655-miles-No-Reserve-view-me_W0QQitemZ180397601520QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item2a0088f2f0&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245 in the US.  Seems knid of cheap considering I paid 3500US for my 450SEL in 2006.

Michael
'83 300SD, I'm back!  It's the son's new car (12/2020)
1976 450SEL, 116.033  Sold it to buy a '97 Crown Vic.  Made sense at the time.
1971 250C, 114.023
1976 280C
1970 250/8

Ben McKinley

Thanks for the response. The car isn't worth that much then. Which means I'm going to have to work hard over the summer to afford a land cruiser. Nothing wrong with the w116 beautiful comfortable car very strong, except mine keeps me broke (uni student). But they are no off-road car which is what it turns out I need. doesn't respond well to wet muddy tracks and lots!! of dirt roads.

Big_Richard

Quote from: Ben McKinley on 04 September 2009, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the response. The car isn't worth that much then. Which means I'm going to have to work hard over the summer to afford a land cruiser. Nothing wrong with the w116 beautiful comfortable car very strong, except mine keeps me broke (uni student). But they are no off-road car which is what it turns out I need. doesn't respond well to wet muddy tracks and lots!! of dirt roads.

ahhh no, w116's sink like a boulder in water at the slightest hint of mud ;)

TJ 450

The RWD 700/900 Series Volvos are great for thrashing along dirt roads, until the dash falls off, but that was only a minor annoyance. I only got bogged a few times driving along countless unsealed roads and clay mud. 8)

The dash won't fall off in an MB, but you will feel the corrugations and more than likely get bogged as PB confirmed.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500