News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

280SE restoration update - videos!

Started by NormW116, 12 October 2013, 11:20 AM

NormW116

Hi, I've not been on here for a little while now. Some of you may remember I'm in the slow process of restoring a 1977 280SE manual. Anyway, we got the car running a few months ago, I rebuilt all the brakes, etc, but the clutch was causing problems so I had to get my local garage to pick it up and replace the clutch as that was a bit beyond my skill range I think. Here are some videos of when the car was returned to us yesterday. One is the mechanic driving it off the trailer and one of my dad driving it for the first time since the mid 90s so a very special day for us! It's my dad's car which he has owned since 1980, so it's part of the family!
Really exciting to be able to drive it again! Not road legal yet of course... but hopefully we'll get there soon!

s273.photobucket.com/user/somnv/media/Me...zpsc4fb6823.mp4.html

s273.photobucket.com/user/somnv/media/Me...zps980ffb80.mp4.html

John Hubertz

Both are coming back as video not found. 
John Hubertz
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
(Hunter S. Thompson) 

1977 450SEL (Max Headroom)
[img width=68 height=73][url="http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg"]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg[/url][/img]

djenka018

link is truncated

observe the ... in the middle of it
Vitamin C for SL... the SLC

adamb

That's fantastic. Congrats on getting it running. How far is it from being roadworthy now?

NormW116

Thanks very much adamb. It's still quite a long way away from being roadworthy in fairness. Specifically it needs new sills and rear control arms and needing replaced... other things as well, but those are two big jobs. Control arms are sooooo expensive new, but I'm hoping to find good second hand ones. I gather they are the same as in the W123 and W126 (early ones at least).

I know aftermarket sills are not as good as originals but can I get away with them?

Unfortunately I've never welded before in my life and although I did think about having a go, I really don't want to screw this car up and I know welding takes practice.

I'm sturggling to get hold of a centre section of the exhaust. Even MB don't have any! If I can't get one I might have to go for stainless steel. Bit annoying as I've already bought the rear silencer!

It's just so exciting to be able to move the car again after so many years... my dad was pretty blown away by it as well. It's just so rewarding seeing some progress, and this is such a massive milestone.