News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

280S project

Started by Glennj, 09 February 2012, 07:40 PM

Glennj

My 1975 280S was bought about 4 months ago in a moment of impishness. I was looking for a project car for therapeutic value - you know - dicking about in the garage, occasionally accomplishing something, acquiring an ever increasing heap of spares from scrapyards that will ONE day get fitted. It ran, and it was complete, but that's about it, and I overpaid for it (of course).

I have a perfectly good modern 180 kompressor coupe, after two W114's, a  W123 coupe and a 124 24v, but noooo, i just had to have a 'proper' Benz again to play with, one made out of rocks and girders. Having now got into the W116's pants I have to say you couldn't build a car like this any more. Its about 70% ready to get back on the road after years of neglect have failed to stop it. This site has been invaluable for information and my biggest regret is not taking photos BEFORE to show how good the AFTER is getting! I've dis-and-re-assembled and replaced all sorts of things from, check straps, locks, steering gear, you name it. By following German logic and taking it steady, its all been fine BUT I've bemoaned the lack of step-by-step photos for restoring a car and it never even occurred to me to take photos myself. SO ....my 2c worth is: take photos of rebuilds - and post them! I will....one day!

KenM

Good one Glenn, I think getting a tad ripped off is part of the learning curve somehow.

Everyone likes looking at somebody elses pics, you often get one of those 'ah so that's where that thing goes' moments, so post away better late than never.