News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

280 S with 8,000 miles.

Started by carl888, 24 January 2015, 11:24 PM

carl888

gf

Wow! I wonder why some cars of this age have such low miles? Its almost like the owners buy it and forget to look in their garage for 30 or more years. Im sure my boots have done more than that!!!!!!!!

ptashek

Quote from: gf on 26 January 2015, 03:13 PM
Wow! I wonder why some cars of this age have such low miles? Its almost like the owners buy it and forget to look in their garage for 30 or more years. Im sure my boots have done more than that!!!!!!!!

Considering what the S-Class always was - an executive car - it's not really that big a surprise.

Take my own 450 as an example - 33 years old, and not much over 60k (documented) miles from new when I bought it. It's been used for short trips from/to work, few miles each way. Maybe a bigger trip every now and then. Then laid by and used increasingly less often as the owner aged. Type17's 350 is a year older I think, and has half the mileage with similar history.

That's one explanation. The other is that a lot of those "low mileage" examples have been clocked there and back, and then some more.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

carl888

Quote from: gf on 26 January 2015, 03:13 PM

My neighbor had a beautiful 1989 pajet red with black 560 SEL with 6,000 kms on it as of a few years ago.  The problem, he had 7 other cars, plus a driver, so the mileage is spread over these other vehicles.

I have another neighbor with a 1986 Porsche 928 S3 with 4,100 kms.  He's 92 and too old to drive, he just enjoys looking at it.  Yes, I've tried to buy it lol.

Of course you can always say, "Why don't we see these cars" and that's the reason, they're never driven!  And then there's the people with multiple homes that just happen to leave another car at the weekender.  Lets not forget the deceased estate where the late owners wife/husband can't bear to part with the car, so it just sits in the garage, a monument to the late owner!