News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

280" Concourse; Diary of a layman

Started by floyd111, 09 March 2015, 04:44 AM

ptashek

Quote from: floyd111 on 10 April 2016, 12:56 AM
and..to top up the day, a very rare Fanfare high-tone.

Hardly rare, given this is a rebranded Bosch you  can get brand new, with warranty.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

ptashek

Quote from: floyd111 on 10 April 2016, 12:48 AM
Little pick-me up, for 20usd and free shipping..

About 40EUR brand new, with shipping, for the complete unit, with fresh seal AND housing...

floyd111

Bumpers!!

Yes, you bought them, I bought them, and our 2 French friends both bought them as well, each separately, unknowingly.
he spoke of 6 other buyers, so there may be 2 more gullible idiots out there.
The french guys even drove to his house to find him disappeared, and on their way back, were called with a raised price to 400 euros, after which they walked away, and they became mine.
You wanted just one, I bought both at a higher price per item, so they're mine now.
At least, until some other schmuck calls, and they won't be mine anymore.

I am out, the french guys are out, and I would suggest you walk as well, just to teach this guy a lesson in ethics.
The four of us make up the W116 NOS buyers market right now, so let him fry.

Brand new, these bumpers are available for 280 euros. Safely packed, without surprises.
I am getting them new. I would suggest you do the same.
If his ethics are this bad, what about the state of his bumpers? If ever he dropped them once, and you'll have a crap deal.

floyd111

Quote from: ptashek on 10 April 2016, 02:52 AM
Quote from: floyd111 on 10 April 2016, 12:56 AM
and..to top up the day, a very rare Fanfare high-tone.

Hardly rare, given this is a rebranded Bosch you  can get brand new, with warranty.

Got links, data?

ptashek

ptashek

I've made an outright ridiculous offer on the bumpers, and he's accepted, but no money changed hands as I've been waiting on shipping details. We'll see what comes back in terms of comms next week.

floyd111

apparently.. he posted them on ebay 20 mnts ago and they 're sold

floyd111

Unrelated, but a nice photo, I thought!

floyd111

This week I visited a 90's car expo, which in Taiwan, translates to "antique vehicles" ;)
I was really looking to snap up a rare W116 280SEL, but found it was an all-Japanese event, bar tons of 3-series BMW's.
Still, bioggest show I have ever seen in this country, with over 1000 cars on show, -and only 2 MB's
The W123 was to be ignored, so I started a chat with the R107 guy, an elderly man with lots of relations nationwide. He introduced me to a friend nearby, and he had a 280SEL he wanted to get rid of. To my surprise, he knew me. Seems he is one of my dealers, whom I had only visited once, years ago. Small country.
So, this saturday I am off down south, to have a look. I have a feeling it's gonna work, for he was worried the car may be too bad to sell.
Fine with me. I only need a datacard-correct chassis and a matching engine. All the other parts will be brand new, with most of them already in stock, or on their way to Taiwan. That includes the retractable rear seat I am so eager to install.
If all works out as planned, that will be my museum-car, but djeez, I know that day is still far away.

On the shopping front, it has been a roller-coaster, this month, with great ups, and terrible downs. I know it was long overdue, but I finally got stung real bad by a trusted supplier. Lost a small fortune in the process, and lost faith in humanity at the same time. Could not even bring myself to go online, or check emails, for days in a row. Burnt out, sad, disappointed, angry and catatonic, all at the same time.
Really felt like throwing in the towel, and calling it a day.
Still..here I am, slowly regrouping my senses.

These are the goodies from the last 2 weeks:

A 70's MB pick-nick box.

floyd111

Pick 4 of these up for a breeze..

floyd111

And I bumped into this mint MB notebook set. For 10 bucks, I couldn't resist.

floyd111

And, it's always good to mention that there are always more good people than bad people in the world.
I accidentally bumped into a US-based Jaguar guy, who got his hands on a big batch of MB NOS stuff he did not need.
Going through a seemingly endless list of part numbers he provided, 95% of them non-W116, and the tiniest of MB parts thinkable, I still came up with fish in the end.
Some real treasures, among them a NOS Tempomat ECU unit, where I shamefully offered 100usd. He would only accept 80usd.
When I was done shopping, he even offered free shipping! I decided to pay half still.
That is such a huge difference from some people in our business..
Looking forward to receiving that parcel.. More than 20 MB numbers, some of them in bulk, for the best prices I ever enjoyed.

And, while I am at it, may I mention another USA based supplier, who shipped a container with a complete 6.9, 2000KG in NOS W116 sheet metal, and 1000KG in NOS R107 parts, for the prices of 8 door shells? Just heard he threw in 3 NOS electric window lifters for free.

After the vicious, multiple robberies the VDH boys suffered in the USA, this is a huge pick-me-up, re-enstating the reality that there's a lot of good people there, and a few rotten apples do not make a basket.

ptashek

Quote from: floyd111 on 18 April 2016, 11:24 PM
Some real treasures, among them a NOS Tempomat ECU unit, where I shamefully offered 100usd. He would only accept 80usd.

It may be a rotten egg though - if it's NOS, and has been lying for a couple decades in storage, you'll have to rebuild it anyway because the electrolytic caps will have dried out by now. For that money, you could have bought an already rebuilt one ;)

But, you won't know until you test it in a running car. If it surges, or fails to engage, it's a dud. Luckily, rebuilding those is not only easy, it's also very cheap if you can do the job yourself.
Here's my thread about sorting one of these out: http://forum.w116.org/mechanicals/cruise-control-not-keeping-set-speed/15/

And as for your "trusted supplier" burn, please do share (unless it's an ongoing case etc.) so others can stay away.

Peter

Hey Stan, 2 things mate  1. Illegitimi non carborundum   2.  Name and shame these mongrels

UTn_boy

Stan, a few pages back you had commented about how expensive new hub caps were and something about re-chroming them.....you can't do that.  They're polished stainless steel.  Only W108 and W109 in model year 1968 and 1969 had chrome plated hub caps in 14 inch.  Just FYI. 
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo