News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

280" Concourse; Diary of a layman

Started by floyd111, 09 March 2015, 04:44 AM

floyd111

You won't be able to air-ship it, my friend. They must sail. A protective box is required and with all other fees, you may be looking at 800-900usd in shipping.-by boat.
I have a mate in Bulgaria that can add my stuff to car-containers to Taiwan, or I'd be lost as well.

Maybe this can help your search.. Want the news that I found out just last week?
The white-top Minimax was also installed in the early G-series.

rumb

Apparently minimax has been making extinguishers for a long time!
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

ptashek

1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

floyd111

It has been a less eventful period..  Ticking away the time, waiting for the final pallets of MB parts to be decided upon, and after that, I'll have to wait till the body shop has time for me.
Best guess, they'll start sanding the chassis 8 weeks from now, with the last parts arriving around that time.

The first big batch NOS trim from Australia arrived, with mixed results. 15 damaged parts, and naturally, exactly the NLA window trim... aargh!~
Good thing that they are understanding and honest about it till now, and I won't be left with any losses.
Still, the NLA window trim still needs a new source.
Let's hope the next batch will be without nasty surprises.

The pallets of NOS material from Germany are still there, awaiting shipping.
The guys there are very cooperative, but very busy.
They are also nice enough to let me ship other parts from Europe to their warehouse, so it can all be shipped to taiwan in one go
Since they can also supply regular MB stuff at sharp pricing, all goods there, including the retractable rear seat, the NOS stuff and the new MB stuff will remain where it is until all has been collected there. After that, it's a lengthy ocean journey, and 2 months before it's here, cleared and taxed.

We found a third mechanic in the UK, yet another old-timer in his 60's, and we'll ship him in next week.
The last addition, a French W116 maniac, will be flying here in April for a look-around, and maybe he'll stay for a few months, before flying home again, to return a few weeks after that to Taiwan,  for the long haul.
At least the manpower issue seems to have been solved now.

Been keeping busy building an oversized mountain go-kart. It needs more tweaking, but I have been taking it out onto the mountain roads for proper racing, and it's great fun!
It used to be a 3-cylinder Mitsubishi Towny (Minica) Now it's a 250KG 800CC Mad Max contraption with so much torque that I had to send it out to have the firewall re-enforced, for it was breaking off the chassis floor!
BTW.. It has back rests now (modified Honda CRV rear back rests)..and foam on the floor to sit on.

floyd111

And, in the light of my CRV being on it's last legs, we set out to find a replacement car for the daily "mountain house to office" road.
We have the Volvo wagon for long distance runs and dealer visits, but the parts for that thing are too costly to make it a daily driver.
Against all odds, we found this thing, parked roadside:

floyd111

Now, all cars older than 25 years are rare as pygmies in Taiwan, and a 1st gen Civic is an impossible thing to find.
Old Taiwan-licensed Japs, older than 25yrs, start at 6000usd, all the way up to 10.000usd, in any condition, bar all sought-after models.
This Honda apparently was off the radar, and I picked it up for 3000 bucks, nice condition inside and out, and very much in original condition. Even the vinyl seats were without holes!
The owner was quickly called by a nearby dealer, and when he arrived, he hooked up a battery, turned the key, and it instantly ran, cold, after months, maybe years of parking.
Needless to say I am now on a Civic NOS parts hunt, which is surprisingly harder than a W116. Good thing is that all the regular maintenance parts are abundant, and cheap, at least in Australia.

These 2 little cars really put a smile on my face!

Anyways.. back on the W116 front,..
Last month's goodie-shopping wasn't that impressive, but still held a couple of noticeable items:

Most remarkable.. a wooden dash panel, especially for the Tekade telephone pad. No takers on ebay, so I got it for 20 bucks

Further more, a NOS audio fader for 20 bucks, and a lovely NOS ashtray lighter, that was about as expensive as I can accept: 92 euros.. Ooof..

floyd111

Found these 4 items from 1 seller.
I took them all even though I already have 2 of them, but they are pretty rare, in-the-box, and it will be very easy to sell them to MB freaks at the next classic car meet (Read: W123 meeting)

UTn_boy

You're really going to be disappointed having paid that price for the cigarette lighter when you realize the astray won't shut.  ;)
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo

floyd111

UTn_boy

No, I don't think.  I know.  See the following pictures.  The W108 style lighter you're wanting to use will not allow the ashtray to close.  It stands too proud and hits the frame that the ashtray closes in to. 
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo

floyd111

Bullocks! :-[
Off to get a refund..
Thanks for the heads up!

Jed

Do you have a part number on that lighter?  I may interested in it for my w109. Not sure if its even available anymore from MB.  Also, do you have a source for another one of those fader controls?

thanks
jed
1979 Mercedes 6.9 #5206 - restored
1979 Mercedes 6.9 #6424 - ongoing restoration
1976 Mercedes 6.9 #484 - restoration?

floyd111

And no, that fader control was once in a lifetime.
But, if I find more, I will post them here.

gavin116

Quote from: floyd111 on 26 February 2016, 10:58 AM
And no, that fader control was once in a lifetime.
But, if I find more, I will post them here.

Those fader controls are freely available here, as well as rear speakers specific for 116s:
https://www.koenigs-klassik-radios.de/en/accessories/ and https://www.koenigs-klassik-radios.de/en/loudspeaker/
1979 450SE "Mrs White"
2022 Touareg-R 3.0TSi Hybrid
[url="http://forum.w116.org/test-drive/my-first-w116-here-at-last/"]http://forum.w116.org/test-drive/my-first-w116-here-at-last/[/url]
[url="http://forum.w116.org/the-org/british-near-london-meet/msg97613/#msg97613"]http://forum.w116.org/the-org/british-near-london-meet/msg97613/#msg97613[/url]

floyd111

wow..never knew!
Luckily, I paid half, but a great link for the future! Thanks.