News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

280" Concourse; Diary of a layman

Started by floyd111, 09 March 2015, 04:44 AM

floyd111

The rev counter to be retro-installed, new from Italy, for 6-cylinder engines.

A re-enforced Palomino leather suitcase, era-correct, to match the palomino interior. Attic find from the UK.
Naturally, it will be sent to a leather refurbishing company, before finding it's permanent parking spot in the trunk.

floyd111

this was today's hunt.. getting 2 new original Behr clutches without breaking the bank. Looks like mission accomplished.

floyd111

These books are must, as everyone already knew.  Was happy to find a full set very cheaply, in mint condition

And then there are the tools.. lots more than just the ones in the pics.. Big bags, small bags, from all over the place.
That is the only way I have found that enables me to end up with 2 complete, 5-star outfits.
I will be offloading quite a few sets after I am done.

Bought 3 radiator grilles as well, since they came very cheap and are NLA.
Still, right after I did, I started bumping into a series of other brand new, cheap grilles in different countries
Looks like someone released a big batch of stock globally.

floyd111

And then there was this thing: Have I offically lost it? A large, remote-controlled w116 450SE from the 70's.
It was offered complete, unbroken and pretty cheap, from Germany.
Still waiting for the shipment to arrive. Could imagine spending some time on it, giving it a Concourse overhaul, haha!

floyd111

This was a nice transaction. A super-friendly German chap who had a lovely box with brand new NLA and/or costly trim. The extras in the box are not shown in the photos.
As usual, I took the time to discuss all part numbers, current value and fittability with the seller, and we arrived at offering 350 Euros for the lot. That would have been 15% under my cheapest sources, not even counting the extra NLA sourcing headaches.
He told me 200 Euros including shipping was sufficient!
When do you see that happen?

floyd111

This is a halter for the tempomat, yet another NLA item, and one of the toughest ones I bumped into.
Finally found a second hand one in Germany, that I will have re-plated locally.
Yesterday I received an answer from the USA, to an email I sent out quite some time ago: They had 2 of them as well! This time, brand new in the box. Shipment still in the air..

ptashek

At the rate you're going soon you'll be chasing a hidden-in-a-warehouse-somewhere brand new chassis (NLA, but yes, these were a part!). Keep going! I'm looking out for the end result. I'll have no such "entertainment" anymore in 3-4 months, when my car is done.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

floyd111

hahaha..the thought come to mind more than once!
A brand new shell.. How often did I bump into that parts manual page..
Part number Axxxxxxxxx ..body, shell, unknown partnumber"

Also found out that nearly all visco clutch sellers on ebay are shamelessly advertising Behrs, and after receiving payment, will notify you it's a Meyle. Ship or refund? they'll ask you.-if you're lucky.
Been around the block with 3 such top sellers now! Partscontainer does it, but they will tell you after you pay.

The company that sports the logo in the Behr Photo here took it even further. They were in a lengthy detailed discussion about Behrs and prices with me, that left no confusion.
We cut a 2-unit deal and promise to send me the invoice for 2 Behrs.
Instead, I receive an invoice for just 1 Behr, that I paid.
When I asked for an invoice for a second Behr, they said "no need" -I had just paid for 2 Meyle's at the value of 1 Behr
They don't actually have Behrs ro sell. Never did. Pretty rude, for such big eBay shops.

In the case of Partscontainer, it is not the first time I have an issue. Ordered piston rods from them in the past, through eBay. Invoiced, Paid and apparently shipped via express courier at top dollar..
But, no rods ever arrived here, nor a tracking number.
Good thing is they are quick to send refunds if you are likely to make noise. But still. Never seen that happen before!

daantjie

I have had pretty good dealings with "partscontainer" on ebay.  Now with the Canadian dollar in the toilet I try and not ship too much from the US as it stings a bit more now, but shipping is not too expensive to Canada.  I try and avoid UPS like the plague, their brokerage fees are absolutely outrageous.  FedEx much better.  Happy that the Classic Centre uses them exclusively, super fast service.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

floyd111

Funny, from my position I also need to avoid the US like the plague, but that includes Fedex (globally) and UPS. This stuff really varies per country. For me, DHL and TNT are best, but we know when, where and which, in European countries.

s class

Quote from: floyd111 on 12 November 2015, 08:10 PM
hahaha..the thought come to mind more than once!
A brand new shell.. How often did I bump into that parts manual page..
Part number Axxxxxxxxx ..body, shell, unknown partnumber"

Also found out that nearly all visco clutch sellers on ebay are shamelessly advertising Behrs, and after receiving payment, will notify you it's a Meyle. Ship or refund? they'll ask you.-if you're lucky.
Been around the block with 3 such top sellers now! Partscontainer does it, but they will tell you after you pay.

The company that sports the logo in the Behr Photo here took it even further. They were in a lengthy detailed discussion about Behrs and prices with me, that left no confusion.
We cut a 2-unit deal and promise to send me the invoice for 2 Behrs.
Instead, I receive an invoice for just 1 Behr, that I paid.
When I asked for an invoice for a second Behr, they said "no need" -I had just paid for 2 Meyle's at the value of 1 Behr
They don't actually have Behrs ro sell. Never did. Pretty rude, for such big eBay shops.

In the case of Partscontainer, it is not the first time I have an issue. Ordered piston rods from them in the past, through eBay. Invoiced, Paid and apparently shipped via express courier at top dollar..
But, no rods ever arrived here, nor a tracking number.
Good thing is they are quick to send refunds if you are likely to make noise. But still. Never seen that happen before!

Cheer up, the Melye visco clutches for M110 are better than the Behrs in terms of on-the-road performance.  And I've fitted a lot of both types in my shop. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

floyd111

Get out..really? Would you advise I buy those, for quality? I had not considered that possibility.
What about the originality fashionistas? Is this an acceptable exception to the rule?

s class

Mostly the 107 and 116 M110 engined cars I work on are going to be used by the clients in hot traffic here in South Africa, and so I use my discretion to fit what I have found to work best.

I use the Meyle visco units on M110, M103 and M104 engines, but NOT on the v8's where I fit Sachs usually. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

floyd111

Seems that this project may yet end up reasonably within schedule, with a young chap from the UK applying for our mechanics' opening.
By the looks of it, we can fly him in before the old chap leaves.
Means that there may actually be a chance that I could drive the first of the 3 W116's this summer.
Or, at least, drive it to expo's and auctions, coz we would not want the 0-KM tacho to start raking in serious mileage.
Fingers crossed!

I won't be able to finish the engine rebuild before Ed flies back, that much is sure.
The required engine parts were sourced from 2 suppliers, and none have arrived yet, with barely 10 days to go till Ed leaves.
One supplier hasn't even billed me yet, so that is the end of that schedule.
let's hope that the new chap, James, will have no problems taking over the reigns, and finish this engine job.
It's not rocket science, these old engines, so I feel pretty confident. 

floyd111

Well, the first batch of engine parts arrived, just to find out 5 out of 6 were aftermarket, instead of the promised MB originals.
Looks like the supplier will handle it, but I am not happy.
Not a trace of the second batch engine parts for now. My schedule has been wiped out.

But, to my surprise, a third mechanic has checked in with an application, again a chap from the UK.
1 in 1 year, now 2 in 4 days. Go figure.
Eager to find out what he's all about!