News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

280" Concourse; Diary of a layman

Started by floyd111, 09 March 2015, 04:44 AM

s class

Quote from: floyd111 on 17 September 2015, 08:55 PM
Lucky shot when I found yet another headlight, NOS, this time in Australia. At 175 euros, about as much as I care to spend on such a unit, but I am well happy, considering the going ebay rates!

You do realise that LHD and RHD headlights are not the same?  They have mirror-imaged dispersion patterns. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

floyd111

haha, yes!
That much I know!
These NOS lights do not come along that often at cheap rates.
Even if I end up with 1 or 2 too many, I DO have a 3rd W116 chassis  that may one day see a rebuild.
If not, there's always the forum and eBay.
Who would not want a complete NOS assy for 150 bucks?

floyd111

Today's score:

Yes, I already had that lighter, but I need one in each car. Since both came up NOS, it seemed the thing to do.
Second item...well.. I may have been too enthusiastic there.
They are cute, and often sell at fabulous prices, but this kit belongs in an SL, not a W116.
Still, I haggled  it down cheap enough that I can repost it on eBay and double the money spent.
It really is in mint condition. Pretty rare.
For now, I'll keep it and consider whether it will be part of the sellable W116.

floyd111

This item was the one I thought about hardest and longest. Pretty expensive, and not standard W116.
In the end, I couldn't resist. They are soo gorgeous!
I am gonna see whether a placement on the bumpers looks good, but I doubt it very much.
I will also try placement under the hood, but very visible. It may work.
if that also doesn't work out, I will simply pass them on the the rightful/future W108 owner here in Taiwan. At effective cost price, it should be a breeze.

floyd111

..and somehow, at the end of a whisky-filled evening, I apparently bid on this item.
Sure, it's era-exact, and NOS in the box, but still.. It is a strange thing to be finding inside a classic car!
Never expected to win it, but I did. No other bidders, haha!
If there are fanatical collectors out there, I will part with this item at cost price. (70usd)

floyd111

It's getting a bit more quiet now on the goodies front.
Found this York clutch today. My mechanic advised me to get it.
It is the first one of it's kind I have seen, so I didn't take the chance missing out. 116usd..
It's twice more at the cheapest MB wholesaler..

floyd111

Went to see the mechanic yesterday, and I saw he had started stripping the car. The engine is in a clean room, awaiting rebuilding, and the rear interior trim and rear seat  have been removed.

I saw the original sound-proofing rubber that MB applied on the floors, for the first time.
Looks like a California lawn in 2016.
After some talks we decided to have the Hong Kong-shipped volunteer-apprentices equipped with scraping tools, and let them find a way to remove all 50kg's of it.

floyd111

Ordered these as well, from Turkey.
Yes, dodgy..
Even though I need 2 of these full sets, I ordered the just 1, so I can check for quality first.
It's sad to have to buy all of these, just to obtain the handful I can't get elsewhere, but that's the price of things.
I will let you know what they look like in real life.

ptashek

Quote from: floyd111 on 23 September 2015, 04:35 AMwe decided to have the Hong Kong-shipped volunteer-apprentices equipped with scraping tools, and let them find a way to remove all 50kg's of it.

I hope they get paid very well for doing it :D
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

s class

Quote from: floyd111 on 23 September 2015, 04:30 AM
It's getting a bit more quiet now on the goodies front.
Found this York clutch today. My mechanic advised me to get it.
It is the first one of it's kind I have seen, so I didn't take the chance missing out. 116usd..
It's twice more at the cheapest MB wholesaler..

I saw that, but passed on it because its a twin-groove pulley used on the 6.3 and Citroen SM.  The M110 engines need the single groove version. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

floyd111

AAAAAAAH... It doesn't fit the 280S/SE?

floyd111

Seller says it can be modified to fit, but the compressor will turn slower because it's a 7" and not a 6.5". That means less cold, no?

floyd111

Thanks to S-Class!
Managed to cancel this clutch, before finding out the hard way..
Sometimes it really is a quagmire out there for laymen!

floyd111

Forgot to add the pic!

"Ordered these as well", from Turkey.
Yes, dodgy..
Even though I need 2 of these full sets, I ordered the just 1, so I can check for quality first.
It's sad to have to buy all of these, just to obtain the handful I can't get elsewhere, but that's the price of things.
I will let you know what they look like in real life."

floyd111

The last week was basically spent working several parts lists of a rather large MB NOS stocker that wants  to offload and move on.
Crunching the numbers, sifting through over 200 W116 linked parts in different qty, trying to figure out what fits the 280's, and what doesn't
Narrowed it down to 138 part numbers today, and sent them my offer.
If it works out, I will post the remainder of the list for the .Org members to choose'n pick.
You'll have to deal with them yourself. I won't be involved.
Lots of V8-related parts, as well as fairings and stuff. A completely new door is among them. Also, lots of SEL parts, more stuff I can't process.
Prices are good, to very good, as far as I can tell.
Stay tuned for updates!