News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

280" Concourse; Diary of a layman

Started by floyd111, 09 March 2015, 04:44 AM

floyd111

NO way! This is a factory install?
Is there a part number? Any or all data you have is welcome!

slfan

floyd111,

Factory installed and even comes with an MB manual supplement in various languages.  Will try to obtain pictures of the manual and other documentation.

Best regards,

Slfan
1978 - 450SEL 6.9 - 3170
1978 - 450SEL 6.9 "Parts Car" - 2973

floyd111

It was a good day for goodies..

The original folder to explain how to use wheels..
The original plastic folder for car papers
a vacuum element for 36 bucks
the original spare-oil bag with gloves and retort.
A new MB tool
A brand new maintenance booklet! How is it even possible?
And, to top it off, MB service cards to list the next oil check KM number.

floyd111

more

ptashek

I think the heating valve is still available, and reasonably cheap, from MB. There were two types, but the earlier one (smaller, all black) is NLA, and its part number was replaced in EPC by the newer type.

What's that MB tool for?
Can you point me at the seller for the service cards? That would be a neat addition.

I got lucky with my 450.
I have all the tools, books, booklets, leaflets and both data cards that came with the car from factory; plastic folder included. Somehow they've survived two pervious owners and 36 years in the wild. Apparently my car won an award or two in its previous life (albeit those never got transferred with it), so maybe that's why it was kept to a higher standard than most cars here.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

floyd111

Jammy git.. None of my cars would have even been allowed on the Benz meeting lot..
This is the link
http://www.ebay.de/itm/131573954115?_trksid=p2057872.m2748.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

floyd111

and the goodies keep coming..

floyd111

This was a sweet one as well: The main unit inside the manual airco-switch (NLA, as an assy, and NLA as a part)
Some places are selling as high as 256usd.
25 bucks, new in the box.

floyd111

The 1972 First Edition parts Manual for W116, really was a maybe.
It's mint, and not even called catalog A, B, C, etc.
It's the first, so it seems.
Guy was asking 150usd plus shipping. Guess there were no takers for too long.
Offered HALF and got it!

It has crossed my mind to take all of the mint catalogs and booklets that I collected, and slap them on eBay as a combi buy for an eye-watering amount, hoping for a guy with excess disposable income.
It would probably work, but is it smart?  Is it really sure all this mint paperwork will re-surface from other corners at the same prices?
It's a bit like the Tool Kit.
No matter what you spend, even 800usd, you will still not get a perfect kit.
If you have a perfect kit, you better hold on to it.

ptashek

The parts catalogue is largely irrelevant as a "car owners item". It was always a workshop-only thing, as far as I understand it.
It has been superseded by EPC/WIS on CD-ROM, and then EPC/WIS online - many years ago. I'm not convinced having those adds/enhances the originality or collectability of the car.

As for that fuse box - unless your car was originally shipped for the German speaking markets, the layout card inside the cover would have been in English.
I can scan mine in (if I find it in the parts pile) and you could laser print it on 160g paper, and none be the wiser ;)

slfan

In the R107 and W113, the Fuse Card is usually in German on one side and English on the other side.  In otherwords, they are reversible.  I am not sure if this applies to the W116.

Amazing goodies!

Regards,
Slfan
1978 - 450SEL 6.9 - 3170
1978 - 450SEL 6.9 "Parts Car" - 2973

ptashek

Quote from: slfan on 02 September 2015, 08:23 AM

In the R107 and W113, the Fuse Card is usually in German on one side and English on the other side.  In otherwords, they are reversible.  I am not sure if this applies to the W116.

Ha! That's an interesting detail. I'll check the back of my card.
If it's indeed double sided, that would be most convenient :)

floyd111

I bought the fuse lid too fast, partly coz it was 20 bucks and I need 1
But the lid is still available from MB. 10 bucks.
I bought the lid because of the fuse sheet that seemed in OK shape. A required thing to have on my car..
Silly me, never expected that sheet ALSO still available from MB
Cost: 1 Euro..
Can't win them all. I was never trained for any of this and I am making this up as I go along.

The catalog is not so much a W116 glove compartment item, but more of a W116 owners item.
I have not seen one this mint, and actually, I don't recall ever having seen this particular one, since I started this hunt, 2 yrs ago.
Having all the W116 linked booklets in this series is just lovely. Same size, same layout, but with different colors and topics.
The more complete the car, the more goodies and options, the less any future buyer will be able to haggle down the price.
I am quite decided to get properly paid for these years, investments and efforts!

ptashek

Quote from: floyd111 on 02 September 2015, 09:02 PM
The more complete the car, the more goodies and options, the less any future buyer will be able to haggle down the price.
I am quite decided to get properly paid for these years, investments and efforts!

The pessimist in me argues that it's easy to overdo it. Would you not think that having every single item and option of the entire series, in a car that never had those items to begin with, would detract serious collectors who want nothing but the most original cars of the lot? But then again, you said before the Taiwanese classics market is "different" in many respects, due to low supply of quality cars.

s class

Be careful of optioning-up.  At least on the 6.9's of you are seeking top price, originality will always win over (even desirable) added in extras. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL