News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

280" Concourse; Diary of a layman

Started by floyd111, 09 March 2015, 04:44 AM

rumb

'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

ptashek

Quote from: rumb on 27 August 2020, 08:45 AM
I dont think the original schutz color was gray. On my 1977 car it is tan color.  I had read somewhere that the MB supplied was originally tan but currently it is gray.  I used 3M which is tan for that reason. Here is a picture of the underside of my car showing uncoated drive shaft tunnel and tan schutz.

It's hard to tell by the colours in the video, but I think we've covered it before and the consensus was that it is indeed tan(ish), not grey. My bad :)
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

floyd111

wait what?
The underside is tan Schutz, not gray schutz?

floyd111

Right now, the underside has a layer of this: 08874 gray

floyd111

and I guess it needs a coat of this:

floyd111

I don't get i! It's the same part number! Have I made a terrible mistake?

ptashek

You're OK Stan. Nothing is ruined. Remember - once you cover it with cavity wax and underbody wax, nobody will ever see the Schutz colour again until they go scrubbing. Also, do you really care if it's tan or grey, if it keeps the car rust free for the next 20 years?

floyd111

It's not so much the color, as the product I was worried about.
Is it the same product, these 2 cans?
I am so confused. In what world does a company like 3M have 2 identical numbers for 2 different colors or products? I do parts for a living, and in 10 years, I have never seen this happen, dealing with countless big and small producers..
I heard 3M is a Taiwanese company. maybe that explains things. ;D

ptashek

It is the correct product, as in "correct for this application".
There is a heavier duty one, 3M 08964, but at the end of the day it doesn't matter as the car won't drive a lot.

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/305143O/revestimentos.PDF

floyd111

:) That's a relief.
I really am in over my head with this project at times.

AndreasF

Hi Floyd111,

Würth products in general are good, but I have no experience with this product.

Carblast in Stuttgart (http://carblast.de/) cleaned the underbody of my W116, welded it, painted it and then sealed it with Teroson Unterbodenschutzwachs hell (underbody protection wax light). Was their recommendation and I am satisfied up to now (7 years later). The light wax also has the advantage that you can see damages to the underbody better.
I hope you can buy Teroson in your part of the world?

Cheers Andreas
350SE (silver) from 1979 (sun roof, air condition, central locking, Becker Mexico, ....)

floyd111

I will check all of that out. Thanks, man.

In the meantime, dare I say it? More disaster. Partially, the correctable type, but boy oh boy..

Remember how I was waiting for the Schutz? That was done, be it in a too dark a shade.
But, Like Ptashek pointed out, could be resolved, because after the protective wax, it would all blend in fine. Very specific instructions were given to the workshop, and OK'd
I also still needed to have my inner wheel wells done with a layer of red chassis paint, before that wax job would happen.  Very specific instructions were given to the workshop, and OK'd, so I was waiting for that.
Yesterday I asked for photos, and behold, the wheel wells were done in red, like I asked.
I then looked at the next pic and behold, the complete underside of the car was ALSO sprayed in red chassis paint.
trying hard to not pop essential veins in my head, I called them, just to find out that the spray guy personally decided it would be better to do the whole thing, "because he had found some blue paint under the car, and therefore the original car MUST have had the complete underchassis sprayed in chassis color"
Either that, or he was too lazy to do a masking job, or he had simply forgotten, or he was simply never properly instructed by the boss. Who knows.

So, now I am at crossroads. What to do? Sand the whole underchassis back to bare metal, and start over?
-Leave it and simply add transparent wax?
-Leave it and simply add colored wax? I found a British company that does custom colored waxes, and in that way change the color to what it supposed to be?
-Spray the red with beige chassis spray and then add transparent wax?

Most of these solutions make me fear that pebbles and rocks may and up chipping the coating and reveal red paint.
Staring over also does not appeal to me, not so much because of the time involved, but because I am afraid the sanding may affect welds and stuff.

Guess what? Your advice would be appreciated. There's a surprise, eh?
I am telling you.. if this were holland, this would be baseball bat territory..
What to do..

ptashek

I'd say leave it be. It's the underside, nobody ever looks there twice, it gets dirty with time and an extra layer of paint may keep the red cancer away for a little longer.

As for further protection...
If you can get it shipped to Taiwan, I would strongly recommend Mike Sander's for all box sections. Failing that try Bilt Hamber Dynax S-50. These aren't waxes as such, but best for closed profiles.

For the outside, Normfest Bottom Guard Wax or Bilt Hamber Dynax UC are good choices that I'm familiar with. Both are translucent brownish colour when applied.

floyd111

Thanks for that info, as usual, my friend :)

In the meantime I have spoken weighty words with the shop owner, and he explained that, by sheer coincedence they had not yet applied the clear coat and the red can be easily blasted off the stone guard, which is what they have started doing.
After that, they'll do a second coat of W116-color-correct stone guard.

So, it looks like this was more of a shock, than it was an actual drama.
But boy, Murphy's Law is alive and well in Taiwan..