News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

280" Concourse; Diary of a layman

Started by floyd111, 09 March 2015, 04:44 AM

floyd111

Both of you are off course, completely right about this.
Luckily, it's not that easy to go overboard, let's say, with a freezer in the trunk. I don't have access to such options. ;D

The options I have chosen are minimal. They dress the car without disturbing the original looks of the car. No  phone antenna, no hands-free, no retro-fitted MB car-phone, no pimpy wheels, no US-version lights and bumpers, no visible sound system, no heated seats +buttons, no window curtains, no dark-tainted glass, no head light wipers and (regrettably-) no ABS.

Both cars will not win originality prizes in relation to the data card. Others have seen to that over the last 40 years.
They WILL win prizes for perfection and completion. They will be better, safer, cooler and more comfortable then when built new, back in the day, and you can't tell from opening the bonnet and/or looking at the car.

And yes, Taiwan is different in a way that there may only be 1 or 2 people in the country that recognize a non-option on a W116. Outside (some) Benz staff, nobody's ever seen a data-card.
My wife's seen and heard a thousand 116 stories and problems, seen the cars, seen photos, seen videos, now in the second year.
She, and most of the nation can not detect the difference between a W123 and a w116. Even when they are parked side-by-side.
Even W126 looks the same to the majority of people. That can be a bit of an issue, coz W123  and W126 are abundant, and dirt cheap.

99.9% of (the handful) potential buyers of my cars will have very simple priorities. 1. -how much of an impression will this make on my other rich friends. 2. -who is going to take car of my car for the rest of it's life. 3. -Is it safe? 4. Am I capable of driving this battleship. 5. -Do I have a space to park it? 6.-Price.
Hence the 5 years warranty, that may even become 10 years, if it makes a difference to a buyer. I am not worried. People ARE.
Selling one of these cars will be like divorcing a wife, with whom you have a kid. No matter what, you'll always be there for the kid.
In that way I will always stay linked to this car, whomever they owner turns out to be.

Oh yes, just scored 2 new Gloria fire extinguishers, haha!
That pretty much brings me to the end of the option quest.

floyd111

Well, so I thought. Couldn't resist these, for in the glove compartment and the mid console, haha

floyd111

This one is yet another testament as to the importance of shopping slowly, and searching daily; Complete headlight assy for 93usd, new in the box. Snapped them up, minutes after they were listed.

Now negotiating a pair of 2 more lights at 125 euro each.  Wish me luck! Considering Fatone has them for 399usd..

floyd111

I posted this one before, and decided to buy a single one first, so i could first check the quality.
They are very nice so i ordered another one. Advisable for those who insist on that extra touch!. Still, I really don't like the idea of simply tossing it in with the spare wheel. Seems a bit of a shame..

And what a trip this Tool Kit hunt has become! Just ordered the 4th or 5th tool kit online, and all of this was required for me to be able to compile a single, brand new-like kit, with all parts present, and all the spanners in 1 brand.
Now, I think it's worth it, but it's quite the job. Order the wrong kits, and you'll be shopping forever. Order too expensive, and it all becomes in-affordable.
I'll post photos..
Like I said before, some kits sold online are proper shiny and big, and sell for 400-500usd. That does NOT mean they are the right part numbers or the right brands.
Besides that, One can not buy kits at these prices.. that's just insane..

So, one down, 1 to go. What I DO have now is an ever-growing list of MB Tools that I have double, or triple, in a variety of brands and qualities, including a brand new tool bag in red, a so-so blue tool bag, a so-so red tool bag and a very pretty red tool bag
There are 3 more kits in the mail, and after these have been selected, I will post photos and data about all the tools that can be off-loaded at very low prices.

floyd111

.. The final result of 3 months of searching, -and learning the hard way!
And, off course, the spare fuses box is not there yet. Available new from MB for 3 euros..

floyd111

And yes, off course.. Just when i was so proud in having recompiled a new, complete set, i bumped into this data:

Ai Ai Ai..
Lots of these tools are simply available from MB... if you have the part number. Just found a bunch.

The FELO screwdriver kit, 2 screwdrivers in metal are new available from MB, just over 1 euro
A2015810117
A0005810317
Just bought a kit of 2 for 30 bucks on steal-bay!~

The red tool bag, new from MB, just over 2 euros..
A2015850001
Just bought one for 15 bucks..
But, the green bags are way better, and also W116..No number there yet.

For the 6.9, the bag is available at 6 euros,    A3145850001
THAT's the olive green one!
Djesus.. Fleabay selling at 36 euros ex shipping..

A0005811067   SPARK PLUG WRENCH
30 euros..

A1075850095   PROTECTIVE WRAP... 6 euro.
Just bought 2 at 16 euros each on ebay

Spare fuse box.. selling for 30 euros at eBay. Luckily I walked away.
new for 3 euros.
1245800010 SPARE PART BOX

wheel SOCKET WRENCH.. A2215810001
6 euros

The spanners are still available, but no telling what brands, or brand mixes -for now.
If anyone knows, please share the data..

slfan

1978 - 450SEL 6.9 - 3170
1978 - 450SEL 6.9 "Parts Car" - 2973

revilla

floyd111

Definitely not complete. Need to check the 4th spanner, and depending on your car, maybe a 5th spanner.
Fuse box is missing, and there are several parts in there that have no business being there.
The sparkplug tool with lever are both missing as well.

What this gets you is the alignment tool, (10usd by lack of other sources) the heyco waterpump pliers (7usd), 3 out of 4/5 spanners from different brands.
69 is too much, especially coz shipping is on top.
My lesson, recently learned: focus on the spanners, and take whatever comes (for free or for little) with the spanners
Buy everything else new from MB.

Like I said..lessons recently learned.. I bought 6 such crap kits buy now, haha! What it gave me was 1 perfectly complete tool bag and a heap of erroneous parts.
If you give me a little time, I can get you a full, complete kit in 2.5/3 star for the same money as this crappy kit.

floyd111

floyd111

floyd111

It was a good week for goodies!

I consider this the best find ever, could only be topped by finding the elusive 6.9 fridge!
An even more elusive vintage MB accessory from the now defunct Kissling factory in Boblingen, home village of Daimler-Benz AG
An actual mid console armrest box for 100usd!

floyd111

And then there were these..
More vintage MB accessories, new in the box!

floyd111

Bought it together with this next item for 100 euros inc shipping.
Sure, the second item is maybe not genuine NOS, but it won't be an item for the sellable car.
It'll be mine.

floyd111

Lucky shot when I found yet another headlight, NOS, this time in Australia. At 175 euros, about as much as I care to spend on such a unit, but I am well happy, considering the going ebay rates!

Also scored 2 sets of foot rests, one in parchment, one in palomino.