News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

27.6L of combustion - another 6.9 bought

Started by nathan, 18 June 2011, 07:54 PM

nathan

Hi all,
after TJ/MT/HiHo noted a long sitting 6.9 now had the sale sticker on it, i went and had a look the other day. usual story of dodgey history, no idea of mechanicals and generally, just pot luck if it were any good! in my opinion, any suspect unregistred 6.9 is nothing but a parts car.  this one was #3096 and a euro.  from the UK evidentlyl (had one service book with it).  a deal was made and i went to pick it up with the G.  i will commence the story with my own anecdote, 6.9s recoveries suck - big time. moving a non starting 6.9 on its belly is bloody hard work.
i have my good set of emergency blocks in my Mohican, but i dont like to use them (i know im an idiot!).  i have a front set of teh rubbers from another car i have so i jammed the front ones to lift the front end and with MT, then proceeded to winch the car on the rented trailer.  after leaving we noted how heavy the car was, MT rang me (he was driving behind) to point out one wheel was smoking on the trailer and the paint was smoking too - the weight of teh car was all on the rear end, so we had to move the car on the trailer again to redistribute weight.
got the car home and began the stripping.  TJ was on fire (not unlike the trailer) along with MT.  plenty of hidden rust, not a restorable car.  we pulled the black interior which was in pretty good shape.  all the usual bits and added to the bolt library.  and then the M100, man is this engine a beast.  removal was significantly worse than on the previous 114s/116s/126s and 460 i have wrecked.  im not sure whow long it would take to do this if you actually gave a crap about the car you were wrecking! we finally got the engine and trans out at 6pm or something after 7hrs of wrecking.  TJ came back with me later last night and we pulled the suspension hydro struts and levelling valves. in the end - i had to put the rear suspension blocks in as there was no way to move this car without the rubbers in.
all that remains is the power steering pump and rear end. im pretty broken at this point as im sure the others are. the panels are of no interest this time around.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

Big_Richard

Absolutely not a tear to be shed on this car.

Its not been maintained in years with what looks like tap water being used as coolant, a corroded and leaking radiator and severely corroded engine. 1 cylinder is definitely leaking coolant which will be either a cracked block or corroded head. The oil also looked like bitumen and was very low.

A parts car is all it ever was going to be and at the price its quite reasonable. I recall the front struts looking like they had been replaced at some stage which would be worth it alone.

1980sdga

So, what's the weather like down there?  Looks a lot like work  :o

oscar

You fellas in WA are machines.  Is that hail damage on the bonnet?   I don't remember it being mentioned in the other thread.

Quote from: nathan on 18 June 2011, 07:54 PM
  im not sure whow long it would take to do this if you actually gave a crap about the car you were wrecking!

Something I did this time round was use a rachet gun to undo just about any and every bolt, using extensions and a UV joint made access to just about everything possible.  I was expecting to come up with a bucket of rounded bolts but it worked a treat and so much faster than last time when I used wrenches and sockets.

Made me laugh about the smoking trailer wheel.  Can't beat a hired trailer when things like that happen.  I'm not sure if I've showed you this Nathan but hows this for an ultimate tow car...... from MercWorxs in NZ.

http://www.mercworxs.co.nz/restored.html

1973 350SE, my first & fave

TJ 450

I'll admit that I was traumatised, but it was definitely a parts car... hail damage all over it, and lots of rust.

If I was going to wreck a car, I would wreck it over a period of months, not days, but we really ripped into it!

I'm glad it's over.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Andreas

dont throw the plastic washer bottle away. even if it looks crappy. you cant get new ones if yours breaks.

Always sad to see a car go. :'(  i have a 6.9 on on my front lawn to far gone. guess i will be doing the same to it.

what you doing with the interior wood. is it any good?

Wish I was in perth would have loved to give you a hand i could have learnt a lot for my rebuild of my 6.9.

Cheers

Andreas
78 450 SEL Parting out
78 450 SEL Saving for parts
79 450 SEL 6.9  #5332
77 450 SEL 6.9 Euro # 1696
77 450 SEL 6.9 Euro #1577
78 450 SEL 6.9  # 4172
76 280 S     Manual Parting
80 280 SE  Possible Parts Car
74 350 SLC  Thinking converting to race

TJ 450

Ah yes, there was no way Nathan was going to toss that washer bottle... They're worth more than their weight in gold.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Type17

Definitely a UK car - it has the following options:

320   Additional plate and rear bench seat stop for Great Britain
436   Elimination of front left and right automatic (self-reeling) safety belts

as well as:

592   Green heat-insulating glass all round, heated rear window, laminated safety glass - tinted strip

I see it had a km speedo - would it have been necessary to change the miles-only one to pass the safety test in Aus?
'76 350SE in Silver-Green

koan

AUS went metric sometime in the 70s.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

Big_Richard

Type17

Yes, UK is still MPH, but Ireland went metric in 2005.

jjb-w116-hu

hey guys i am pretty sure i have the green glass as my windows arent tinted but they're not clear either. is the laminated screen still any good and would the demister still be able to be wired into my girl? if you're looking to sell it how much guys?

cheers James

ps: Joe if you read this are new windows with hte integrateed heater strips still avail?

koan

Quote from: Type17 on 19 June 2011, 05:36 PM
Yes, UK is still MPH, but Ireland went metric in 2005.

So when I'm watching "Road Wars" on the telly and someone is hammering down a motorway at 110 that's MPH not kmh?

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

Type17

Yes, Road Wars is all MPH. The guy doing 110 is doing 180 km/h in "modern" measurement  ;)

jbrasile

James,

Yes they are:

116 670 10 80 - around US$900.00 - don't have current list, let me know and I'll ask the Classic Center.

Shipping can get a little expensive since it comes in a huge box.

Tks,

Joe