News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

27.6L of combustion - another 6.9 bought

Started by nathan, 18 June 2011, 07:54 PM

Casey

Quote from: jbrasile on 20 June 2011, 08:48 AM
Yes they are:

116 670 10 80 - around US$900.00 - don't have current list, let me know and I'll ask the Classic Center.

Does the green glass really make a nice difference on very hot/cold days?  It would be an interesting upgrade to add...  Though I wonder if the green tent wouldn't look horrible on an ivory-colored car. :)  My windshield has some minor nicks so I've contemplated replacing that some day anyways.

BTW why did Mercedes stop making the REALLY AMAZING rear window defrosters that come on the W116's?  I noticed newer models have visible wires on the rear window. :(

Type17

Quote from: Raptelan on 20 June 2011, 09:41 AM
Does the green glass really make a nice difference on very hot/cold days?  It would be an interesting upgrade to add...  Though I wonder if the green tint wouldn't look horrible on an ivory-colored car. :)  My windshield has some minor nicks so I've contemplated replacing that some day anyways.

BTW why did Mercedes stop making the REALLY AMAZING rear window defrosters that come on the W116's?  I noticed newer models have visible wires on the rear window. :(

Yes, my car has the 592 option mentioned above, but doesn't have aircon or a sunroof, and I've found that, at temperatures up to about 20 deg C/ 68 deg F, the glass keeps the car relatively cool when parked and, with a little cold air from outside (I or II on the blower) the car remains very comfortable in city traffic, and perfect on the open road.
However, I should say that while this suits the temperate-maritime climate of Ireland and especially coastal areas like Dublin, where it rarely goes above 20/68, except for a few days during July and August, the glass alone wouldn't have a hope of making a usable/comfortable difference in the intense continental climates such as most of the US or Australia, although it might be a nice compliment in helping aircon to work better or less hard.

PS: I agree about the rear window defrosters - in the mid 70's, many cars didn't come with any form of Heated Rear Window (Euro term for rear window defroster), so it is amazing to have a car with an invisible, timed one - just another sign of how amazing these cars must have seemed when new.
'76 350SE in Silver-Green

jbrasile

Casey, your car already has green windows or what MB calls "heat insulating glass",  a lot of euro's came with plain clear but all US bound cars had code 592.

The heated rear window with internal filaments is prone to delamination and I believe very expensive to produce. It was used up to the 140 chassis in the 90's but I am not sure what current S-Class has. It is interesting to know that 124's had both versions, with internal and external filaments, the latter being an extra cost option.

An original MB windshield is about $800.00 list, this price is from the order I placed for my own car last year.

Tks,

Joe

nathan

hi James,
sorry about slow response.
we pulled the rear window. most of the older ones off wrecks have started to 'delaminate' and they get the dreaded milky appearance between the two layers signalling fluid between the two layers of glass. this one was ok so we pulled it. didnt test it first.
you can still get them new, as dad got one through insurance last year. i thnk in australia the dealer price was 2500! what a ripoff we get done in for here.
postage of this could be a real beast, i would have thought it would be easier to find one locally (where are you by the way, you should add it to your details bit)
regards
nathan
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

jbrasile

Nathan,

My windows cost around US$400.00ea to ship to Brazil last year on Fedex and I know the rates to Australia are much better so it shouldn't be a big deal... parts+freight will probably be way below what dealers are asking in Australia....

Tks,

Joe

jjb-w116-hu

Joe is that 400$ USD for a rear windscreen?
i beleive i have the insulating glass as there is a greenish tinge through it - the 'spare' i have for rear screen is def clear leading to my thoughts on tinting. i have however noticed a few scratches in it so perhaps this cost wouldn't be too had.
thanks Joe and Nathan...

jbrasile

James, the heated rear window is around $900.00 + about $400.00 shipping, still a lot cheaper than what local dealers charge!

Tks,

Joe

MarkM

Hello All,

I am tracking down the reasons for my rear window defroster being inop. I found that the button on the dash would not stay on. I replaced the relay with a used one and now it lights up, stays on for 25-30 min, but does not defrost the rear glass. I cleaned up the ground some months ago on the passenger side under the rear seat back, ($1000 worth of rear seats) but now suspect the connection to the rear defroster (as shown on the schematic provided by our host!)

Does anyone know where the connection to the rear defroster is physically located?

Thanks.

Mark