News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

1980 Mercedes 300SD - Need Advice

Started by ianfoxfire, 22 May 2017, 11:18 PM

ianfoxfire

Hello, I am brand new to this forum. I've wanted a w1116 or w123 diesel for a long time.  The mileage is too good to be true and I don't believe the records are complete. I've been unable to locate any information based on the plate or VIN as expected since the vehicle is from 1980. Just from the listing below, what are your thoughts? My plan is to go see this beauty in person this coming weekend. If all goes well with our first meeting, I will then schedule a full diagnostic at the local MB dealer. I am not rich nor am I mechanically inclined so I want to be sure I am doing everything I can to vet the vehicle before I make a move on it. I know you all have eagle eyes and I hope you have some good advice to share.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-Mercedes-Benz-300-Series-Turbo-diesel-/152523303668?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=xnalWLW3nCoILZnoRL5zbfIRP%252Bo%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

floyd111

Guess it's already sold.. >:(
It looks spectacular! I normally walk away when I see tyres are sprayed to make them shine, but the car really looks spectacular, in and out. I am crazy about this color.
The front chair luggage nets look tired. That's all I can comment on.
Besides a proper technical check, that one would need to check the door and window rubbers and properly check for rust.
But what a looker!

ianfoxfire

Hi Floyd. It didn't sell for whatever reason and I was able to track down the seller. I spoke to him today and as I mentioned we are meeting up this weekend. He said he would only allow it to have a diagnostic conducted at a Mercedes Benz dealership. I imagine that will be slightly more expensive for me, but at the same time will give me added peace of mind.

floyd111

I would think that is a comforting suggestion, rather then him convincing you to go see a local befriended workshop. ;)
Good luck... Wish such things were possible in Taiwan.. No W116 here to chose from.