News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

1980 300SD with 56k original miles

Started by jtwoods4, 21 March 2019, 07:47 PM

jtwoods4

Guys I just ran across this amazing 1980 300SD. It's about 20 minutes down the road from me. I went to check out the car and it's absolutely beautiful with the original paint and only 56,000 miles. The previous owner was an enthusiast and had a lot of work done on the car. I put it up on a lift and it's pretty clean. Little bit of transmission fluid on the bolts around the pan and a little oil and grime but nothing abnormal for a 40 year old vehicle. Here's what the previous owner has done to the car. Scroll down to the bottom and there's a YouTube video. Originally this car was listed for $22,000 and he is down to $17,500. I have never seen a nicer 1980 300SD.

I know that price is a little high but the owner is not budging. What do y'all think should I buy it? This would be my second 300sd and I am very mechanically inclined and can work on these cars. Like I said the car is breathtaking and I've never seen one this nice.

Video
https://youtu.be/X7-Vx90qbRw

--Brand new aluminum body climate control servo.
-- AC system properly converted to W134A with new hoses, expansion valve and dryer to make sure that the AC blows ice cold through all the proper vents.
-- New motor and transmission mounts
-- Changed all fluids
-- Replace all belts and hoses.
-- Transmission service
-- Replace wiper inserts
-- Flush brake fluid
-- Replace valve cover gasket
-- Replace steering coupler, drag link, tie rods & align
-- Replace cluster potentiometer
-- Replace fuel return hose
-- Replace front crankshaft seal
-- Replace blower vacuum switch
-- Replace climate control amplifier & service AC

1980 300SD

daantjie

Dooo eeet!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zdNoVd2zOk

Trust me you will kick yourself later.  Not many ones like this around.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

jtwoods4

My thoughts exactly. The price is high but hell, it's high because cars like this don't exist.
1980 300SD

Lightyear

I can't believe how these old girls still pop up with such low km's. The bumpers you guys got don't do much t improve the looks of the car.

rumb

'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

avantbenz

A very pretty car. I'd want to know waaaaay more about her mechanical condition. Even with those low miles she'd need a lot of work to get her to pristine working condition. All that rubber disintegrates over time even if it's not driven.
Daily Driving 'Patience' ~ 1980 300SD

jtwoods4

Quote from: avantbenz on 07 July 2019, 01:44 AM
A very pretty car. I'd want to know waaaaay more about her mechanical condition. Even with those low miles she'd need a lot of work to get her to pristine working condition. All that rubber disintegrates over time even if it's not driven.

I ended up buying the car. Needed a couple of rubber fuel lines replaced, the passenger side brake caliper rebuilt, and some new rubber isolators for the air cleaner box. Other than that she's in top-notch condition and runs perfectly. Even the original shocks work excellent and don't need replacing. I completely went through the car over a couple of weekends. She's good to go.
1980 300SD

w116john

well done great looking car

enjoy

avantbenz

Quote from: jtwoods4 on 07 July 2019, 07:39 PM
Quote from: avantbenz on 07 July 2019, 01:44 AM

I ended up buying the car. Needed a couple of rubber fuel lines replaced, the passenger side brake caliper rebuilt, and some new rubber isolators for the air cleaner box. Other than that she's in top-notch condition and runs perfectly. Even the original shocks work excellent and don't need replacing. I completely went through the car over a couple of weekends. She's good to go.

That is an amazing find. Good job.
Daily Driving 'Patience' ~ 1980 300SD

jtwoods4

1980 300SD