News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

1978 Mercedes Benz 280S 'AMG' 4spd manual

Started by zook, 14 August 2012, 04:15 AM

oversize

Post a pic of the data plate on the radiator support and we'll decipher it for you....
1979 6.9 #5541 (Red Bull)
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1979 6.9 #3686 (Moby Dick)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)
1977 450SEL #7010 white -P
1975 450SEL #8414 gold -P

TJ 450

Just the Solex from new, and because it can be quite troublesome it is very common to find that someone has fitted a Holley at some stage.

My 280S which was from South Africa/Seychelles ended up with a Holley conversion, but then the engine failed and a new engine with a Solex was fitted.

Having manual windows and no central locking and manual trans is almost certainly an import, unless it was a special order, but it looks like a European import rather than South African. If it has Saint-Gobain Sekurit glass then it's a Euro for sure.

Australian delivered cars had all the fancy stuff as standard, including A/C. I see this one has A/C though.

Oz cars will have either a compliance plate, or a dealer plate in the engine bay too.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

oversize

You may wish to add a LH door mirror as well, so you don't rash those wheels!
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)

zook

ill be taking a good look this weekend..but its looking to be a euro import..

i did try to decipher some of the data plate, but coz of the respray its a bit tricky to read....
[url=http://forum.w116.org/test-drive/1978-mercedes-benz-280s-'amg'-4spd-manual/]| '78 280S 'AMG' 4spd |[/url] [url=http://ozfoz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=34858]| my daily; '98 Subaru Forester |[/url]

Beastie

Wow, that's a very interesting, unique car! And I applaud your efforts! ;D  And here I am harping on about how awesome I am for changing my radiator coolant. :-[  :P

That thing must go like the bloody clappers compared to an aussie delivered automatic. Good luck getting it all sorted for the roadworthy. Damn roadworthy. I bet it'll be huge fun once you've got it sorted to your liking. 8)

I've often wondered what my 108 would be like with a manual. It would be so much more involving to drive and the available power would be so much more easily utilized. A manual 116 would be an even rarer beast. Man, you're getting to sample a very unique driving experience there! Pretty cool.

This should be a very interesting project as you learn more and more about the car.

1979 280SEL

"She's built like a steakhouse, but she handles like a bistro."

zook

Cheers!

I am indeed veeeeeeerry lucky! (that it came with a workshop manual to help me) haha.

kinda wary of what it'll be like when its fixed..coz even with slipping clutch and dodgy driveshaft couplings/bearing it goes very. fast. indeed. ;)

it is so good learning about it, and taking apart things and ACTUALLY FIXING THEM, instead of just reassembling, which is what i did with my last car. its what i love to do..its just so rewarding. the amount of respect i have for my car is inexpressible
[url=http://forum.w116.org/test-drive/1978-mercedes-benz-280s-'amg'-4spd-manual/]| '78 280S 'AMG' 4spd |[/url] [url=http://ozfoz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=34858]| my daily; '98 Subaru Forester |[/url]

John Hubertz

Make those driveshaft couplings your first priority - when they fail it is like setting off a grenade under the car.

John Hubertz
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
(Hunter S. Thompson) 

1977 450SEL (Max Headroom)
[img width=68 height=73][url="http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg"]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg[/url][/img]

oversize

1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)

vanman

Ask Murray  (MB Spares in Canberra) about where the car was built. They have all the records, you'll need to tell them chassis numbers and engine numbers. And they are very good for parts too.
:)
V
280SE 1973  8)

zook

yep had some contact with murray, was going to get all my parts from them but found a cheaper place in qld..i must say, the blokes at MB Spares were much more professional. I reckon I'd've bought my bits from them if i knew how long Parts Agent would take :/

unfortunately was very pressed for time on the w/end..only got partway through replacing the lower front left balljoint..tricky bastard! had to take the entire hub off, but now realised i shoulda left it on, as it would've been easier to dismantle. argh.

i have two weekends in which to get the repairs finished and roadworthy awarded before rego expires..unless i can work a miracle (doubtful) or sweet talk the VicRoads people into sending a rego renewal form/sticker despite its current suspended rego (maybe). But its looking like she'll have some new plates in a while. I was thinking the euro style ones? It'd be fitting i reckon.

oversize - you requested a full list of unroadworthiness, so here it is
BRACE YOURSELVES :P

1. Driver's seat cut

2. RH Brakelight n/w

3. LH Driving light n/w

4. Rear door seals u/s - need plastic plugs

5. windscreen washers u/s

6. windscreen wiper blades u/s

7. Battery not secure - bought one without the lip at the bottom. damn!

8. brake fluid u/s - has moisture in it. anyone know how much (mL or L) ill need to replace it?

9. Front cross member behind bumper bar bent - part of the chassis, bent on the REAR of the bar, how i have no idea. considering chopping one
off a w116 at the wreckers and getting qualified persons to weld onto mine....any better ideas?

10. front upper inner control arm bushes u/s - replaced the whole damn control arms haha

11. front and rear driveshaft couplings u/s - in the post..should get em late next week?

12. driveshaft centre bearing u/s - not fitted yet, waiting for the last part for the clutch so i can do it in one hit

13. all 4 brake hoses to calipers u/s - ready to be fitted, just need time and new fluid

14. front exhaust muffler leaking

15. front suspension cross bar bushes u/s - waiting in a box for next w/end

16. front trailing arm rear bushes u/s - as above

17. oil leak from power steering pump - mechanic's BS, more likely to be dirty:

18. wash engine oil leaks and inspect - at least it has had a new head gasket recently, by the looks of the blue sealant drips

19. rear control arm bushes u/s - ready and waiting

20. both left & right boot wells rusted out - hmmm. yes. fred-from-down-the-road shall be doing that, hopefully on the cheap!

21. gear shifter boot not fitted - technically its still not fitted, but only coz the tough new plastic doesnt wanna stretch properly :/

22. left front ball joint split - not split now! its melted ;D
last but not least,
23. Clutch slipping - gah. doesnt seems like much, when described with those two little words..

I shall edit in a picture or 20 when i get some perhapss
Cheers!

Tony66_au

You've been busy Zook but I have to say it will be well worth it.

The Roady guys are hard now because they have to take a lot of photos for VicRoads and are liable BIG TIME if they do a dodgy so some of em get a bit anal, just stick with it.

Now about Parts.......... I have sourced stuff from all over for Benz's and for new stuff you cant beat MB Spares.

Yes there are some bits available cheaper elsewhere but you will wait for bloody ages because a lot of them order the stuff in when you order it.

MB Spares has stock and if not then its only a day away.

Just pay the dough lol

Battery.................

Yes the foam will give slight protection until it fuels the electrical fire so if you already have a non recessed terminals battery then insulate the top of the terminal closest to the front of the car which is from memory the + ve terminal.

West Bairnsdale?  isnt that a nice way of saying Lindenow?  :-P

Only Stirring BTW

zook

yep the mechanic did have a bit of a whinge about vic roads..but he was still a bloody rude bugger.

unfortunatley i have already paid for aaaaaall the parts i need, and what you say is very true- MBS were very punctual, while the cheaper option is not really worth it..oh well, learnin the hard way!

i shall add battery insulation to my list of things to steal from the wreckers ;D pants dont have pockets for nothin!

..i do believe west bdale is anything past the hospital, according to the sign at the roundabout..but im long gone from there, at a secret location on the edge of the Mullundung State Forest

Cheers for the advice!  :)

Tony66_au

Zook thats what we are here for mate, By insulation I mean any non conductive shield.

I actually got some high density foam rubber and Gel Gripped it above the terminal on the underside of the bonnet where it fits nice and snug.

I also filed down the top of the positive terminal so it sat flush with the top of the battery connector which sits as far down the terminal as I could get it so there is probably 3/4's of an inch between the rubber and the terminal now but I mention all this as its a trap for new players.

As for where you are? Im stirring.....

My Missus is from down east and im about 40 km Southwest of Morwell.

Tony

oversize

Put some Bluetak or Plasticine on the battery terminals to determine how much clearance you have.  In an emergency I managed to fit my Buick battery in there, which was much taller....

Zook looks like you're doing very well and she'll be on the road in no time.  Even if the rego expires, if you're retaining the original plates, you should be able to re-register with the same ones.
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)

Tony66_au

The rego can be out up to 3 months before cancelled and once it is cancelled you have to hand the plates back.

Ask 5 different VicRoad people and you will get 7 different answers so I called Burwood and the nice bloke there double checked this was the case.

I like the blu tack idea!

Just test it with the negative terminal OFF the battery