News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

1976 6.9 Questions from a newbie!

Started by W116 love, 18 June 2015, 03:33 PM

W116 love

Hey guys, I recently came across a green 1976 450 SEL 6.9 for sale and I'd like to know just a few basic things before I go in on it. 1st of all, it's a 1 owner car with only 63548 miles on it, reason being is that it has been parked for quite a while due to a suspected fuel pressure pump problem that was never fixed. The suspension is collapsed and I know that will not be a cheap fix, I also know people have converted to springs but that devalues the car greatly. The good (?) news though, is that the owner just wants it gone and is only asking 2000 for it. I've owned a few w116's and never driven, let alone had the chance to own, a true 6.9. The car is very clean inside and out, it was stored inside, clear coat is good, no rips or tears, looks like a 63k mile example. Basically, if I paid 2000 for this car, I'm pretty sure I could turn right around and sell it for 5, maybe less, maybe more, but to the right person, this car could be awesome and I'm not sure that I want to put upwards of 10k into it over who knows how many years. Any and all info, tips, whatever, is greatly appreciated, thanks all!
C6Z,S2K, Velo N

mirafioriman

I'm at a bit of a loss here.

Do you want to own a 6.9 or are you just looking to be a trader and make a quick profit?

Either way it's your money and really a gamble as to how much money the car will cost to get up and running and if you can sell it as it is for more than you pay for it.

I'm called Dave! I currently own: Mercedes W116 450 SEL 6.9, Mercedes W109 300 SEL 6.3, Mercedes W126 420 SEL, Fiat 130 Berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta and a Citroen Xantia.

W116 love

Quote from: mirafioriman on 18 June 2015, 04:56 PM
I'm at a bit of a loss here.

Do you want to own a 6.9 or are you just looking to be a trader and make a quick profit?

Either way it's your money and really a gamble as to how much money the car will cost to get up and running and if you can sell it as it is for more than you pay for it.
Honestly, owning a 6.9 would be amazing but I don't think I want to take on the project of getting it running/driving again. I feel that 2000 for it is a steal and I'd be stupid not to snatch it up and I'd probably just flip it for some quick profit. The one owner, 63k miles is what's keeping me on it...
C6Z,S2K, Velo N

daantjie

Any astute 6.9 buyer would want to see what has been done to the car. The "garages kill" problem is also present here, low mileage garage queens have their own set of issues. Doubtful it is laid up just because of a fuel issue.  You might end up having to drop at least 1 - 2 K to get it running depending on the state of the fuel system, brakes being seized up etc.  If the suspension is pooched, forget about it.  Granted @ $2K you cannot go wrong really, but don't expect a quick flip.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

oversize

If you really loved the 116, the prospect of owning a 6.9 would be a no-brainer.  Sounds like you just want some fast cash?  Even though it's green the car would be worth more than that in parts alone
1979 6.9 #5541 (Red Bull)
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1979 6.9 #3686 (Moby Dick)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)
1977 450SEL #7010 white -P
1975 450SEL #8414 gold -P

W116 love

I do love the 116, a 1979 300 SD was my first car and I've always had an eye for them, the fact that I could own a 6.9 is mind blowing to me right now and I wouldn't mind dropping some money into it and getting it running again and seeing what's to follow. I'm not sure I'd part it out, I'd rather keep it and just keep progressing with it but if someone comes along and wants to take it off my hands or something like that, I think I could get my money back and then some. Although I say that now, as soon as I get it, I probably won't be able to part ways with it!
C6Z,S2K, Velo N

daantjie

Once the 6.9 bug bites, it is overs ;D  VISA will thank you 8)
Plus Green is such a deadly cool colour.  Coupled with black leather, my favorite hands down.
Daniel

Beastie

It sounds like you want to buy it and the only issue you're having is deciding what to do with it once you have it. So... Step one: buy it. Step two: post photos here. ;D

Although the 6.9 is rare, it's probably the most common car on this forum and certainly one of the most common to be "brought back to life" after long-term storage. So, there'll be plenty of help and assistance in getting it up and running. 90% of the problems you might encounter have likely already been faced by other members, addressed, fixed, and documented here on the org in one of the many Legacy Posts™.

You could probably buy and assess it and we could give you a rough idea of what needs to be done to it, what it might cost, and if or not it's worth it. If you decide not to restore it you could probably sell it on for at least as much as you paid, as you mentioned. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
1979 280SEL

"She's built like a steakhouse, but she handles like a bistro."

W116 love

Here's some pics guys! I think I'm gonna get it, this forum is super loaded with 6.9 stuff and it seems like I'll have all the help I'll need with things from here, hopefully tomorrow!
C6Z,S2K, Velo N

W116 love

Also, as I live in California, the 6.9 wasn't brought here to the US until 1977 unless they were imported through the gray market, that being said, would that make parts any easier to find, could it potentially raise the value of the car, anything I should know and take notes about on that subject?
C6Z,S2K, Velo N

W116 love

!!UPDATE!!
Just talked to the owner for a good 25 minutes on the phone, the car is a gray market car and is current and on a non op title, which is great news for me! He has a '79 6.9 US Spec parts car that runs with a functional hydro suspension and he said he'd sell them together for 2500, I absolutely have to get these cars, supposed to pick them up on Sunday!
C6Z,S2K, Velo N

daantjie

Nice! On the green one you have manual hvac which is a big plus. The ACC unit on full US spec units are real headaches.
Looks like it is a Euro model which has been federalized. Look for ABS unit in engine bay as well as oil cooler next to radiator.
Daniel

W116 love

Ok will do, it is a euro model that has been federalized, I'm so excited for this car, there's no way I can flip it, it's getting rebuilt and back on the road!
C6Z,S2K, Velo N

ptashek

Quote from: W116 love on 20 June 2015, 12:27 AM
Ok will do, it is a euro model that has been federalized, I'm so excited for this car, there's no way I can flip it, it's getting rebuilt and back on the road!

Nice colour mix!
My 450 is icon gold with moss green interior - sounds odd, looks great. But the thistle (I think) green with moss interior looks even better.

Also, IMHO, getting two 6.9s for 2500US is an absolute bargain, even if you'd never drive them again and just sell for parts.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

oversize

The green one actually looks nice with the green interior.  Having a Euro is a treat and getting another at that price is a steal.  Get familiar with the other sites out there, get some manuals, posts pics here and have fun!
1979 6.9 #5541 (Red Bull)
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1979 6.9 #3686 (Moby Dick)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)
1977 450SEL #7010 white -P
1975 450SEL #8414 gold -P