News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

1973 450 SE

Started by Runningwhenparked, 31 March 2018, 09:26 AM

Runningwhenparked

Good Morning Everyone!

We just picked up a 1973 450 SE as a restoration project. It isn't running but we suspect just a fuel pump replacement at the moment. Attached are some pictures!

s class

Morning and welcome, that's a nice looking project.

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

daantjie

Nice one!
Where in AB are you?
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

karmann_20v

Good to see another Canadian! I think the car is either a 74 or newer, or it had it's short bumpers replaced. 73 was the only year equipped with the short bumpers for the North American market, 5mph impact regulations came in 74 mandating the "park benches". 
Good luck with the resto work.

Runningwhenparked

Quote from: karmann_20v on 31 March 2018, 05:43 PM
Good to see another Canadian! I think the car is either a 74 or newer, or it had it's short bumpers replaced. 73 was the only year equipped with the short bumpers for the North American market, 5mph impact regulations came in 74 mandating the "park benches". 

Interesting. We don't know the full history of the car, however, the inside door plate has the date of manufacture as September 1973 at the Stuttgart plant. We are MB newbies, but theorized the car could have been originally purchased in germany as it has the arlberg austria tunnel sticker on one of the windows.

karmann_20v

Quote from: Runningwhenparked on 01 April 2018, 07:16 PM
Quote from: karmann_20v on 31 March 2018, 05:43 PM

Interesting. We don't know the full history of the car, however, the inside door plate has the date of manufacture as September 1973 at the Stuttgart plant. We are MB newbies, but theorized the car could have been originally purchased in germany as it has the arlberg austria tunnel sticker on one of the windows.

I wonder if Sept 73 production date would deem it a 74 model maybe? Regardless, what are your plans to bring it up to life again?

Runningwhenparked

Quote from: karmann_20v on 01 April 2018, 08:02 PM
I wonder if Sept 73 production date would deem it a 74 model maybe? Regardless, what are your plans to bring it up to life again?

Right now the first step is getting a new fuel pump/filter into it. It turns over but the pump was dead. Ill clean the plugs and see if I can get someone to test the injectors as well.

ptashek

Quote from: karmann_20v on 01 April 2018, 08:02 PM

Historically, in Europe at least, model year cut-off point has always been around August, which was the slowest month in terms of sales and therefore a good moment to shutdown the assembly plants for a couple weeks for retooling.

MY74 would've run from end of July 1973 in that case. Can't say for certain in terms of the W116, but MB definitely followed that model for the W124 and later.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

Runningwhenparked

Good Afternoon everyone,

I just wanted to post and update. This past weekend we got the car into decent running condition and took it out on the highway. What a smooth ride!! (First time in a W116)

Total repairs to get it going after sitting in a field for 14 years:

-New Fuel Pump/Filter
-Clean Fuel Screen
-Purge Fuel Lines
-Change Plug Wires
-Adjust D Jetronic Trigger Points
-Test/Clean all injectors

irvine

That's great going for sitting in a field credit to you.
Got a question, how did you adjust the trigger points? Wanna do this myself.
And.
Clean/test injectors? Also I need to do this.

Cheers,
Neil.

raueda1

Quote from: Runningwhenparked on 05 June 2018, 08:34 PM
Good Afternoon everyone,

I just wanted to post and update. This past weekend we got the car into decent running condition and took it out on the highway. What a smooth ride!! (First time in a W116)

Total repairs to get it going after sitting in a field for 14 years:

-New Fuel Pump/Filter
-Clean Fuel Screen
-Purge Fuel Lines
-Change Plug Wires
-Adjust D Jetronic Trigger Points
-Test/Clean all injectors
Amazing that's all it took!  I'm sure you changed the oil too.

FWIW I've been told to change transmission fluid too before any real driving.  If condensation occurred (which in a 4-season climate it almost certainly did) you don't want any steam in the transmission when it heats up.  My transmission guy says this is common in cars sitting for years and can destroy the friction surfaces bands, plates etc.
-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0

Runningwhenparked

Quote from: irvine on 06 June 2018, 05:37 AM
And.

Cheers,
Neil.

The trigger points was mostly an impromptu fix. First we measured the pin connection with a millimetre for the injectors while engine was running to see what contact points were not engaging. Then we pulled the trigger point mechanism out of the distributor and used ohm measurements to determine the layout. Next was a slight adjustment using needle nose pliers to bend the contact point towards where the lobe on the distributor shaft would contact it. Replace and test pin connections until all are firing. Not a perfect solution by any means but we were only at 4 cylinders injecting originally.

For the injectors we rigged up a bush-league bench test. Took 2xc Batteries and taped them together to produce the 3 v needed to fire the injectors.Attached two wires with clips to the ends of the batteries. One of the wires we ran through a light switch to give us an on-off capability. Then we hooked up to the injectors and tested each. Some were seized up and we ran carb cleaner through all of them to get them all good to go. Replace in the engine and away you go!

I can post some pictures of the set up later if it helps.

daantjie

Nice work, time for a road trip!
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

irvine

Quote from: Runningwhenparked on 06 June 2018, 12:24 PM
And.

Cheers,
Neil.

The trigger points was mostly an impromptu fix. First we measured the pin connection with a millimetre for the injectors while engine was running to see what contact points were not engaging. Then we pulled the trigger point mechanism out of the distributor and used ohm measurements to determine the layout. Next was a slight adjustment using needle nose pliers to bend the contact point towards where the lobe on the distributor shaft would contact it. Replace and test pin connections until all are firing. Not a perfect solution by any means but we were only at 4 cylinders injecting originally.

For the injectors we rigged up a bush-league bench test. Took 2xc Batteries and taped them together to produce the 3 v needed to fire the injectors.Attached two wires with clips to the ends of the batteries. One of the wires we ran through a light switch to give us an on-off capability. Then we hooked up to the injectors and tested each. Some were seized up and we ran carb cleaner through all of them to get them all good to go. Replace in the engine and away you go!

Thanks for the info, pics would be awesome, even a little guide to go with it would be great..

Thanks,
Neil.

Runningwhenparked

Quote from: irvine on 06 June 2018, 06:30 PM
Quote from: Runningwhenparked on 06 June 2018, 12:24 PM
And.

Cheers,
Neil.

Thanks for the info, pics would be awesome, even a little guide to go with it would be great..

Thanks,
Neil.

Cool. I'll put it in a new three in mechanical in case anyone wants to see it as well.