News:

The ORG
100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

116 wagon in Canberra

Started by OzBenzHead, 16 April 2006, 07:31 AM

OzBenzHead

Look here, folks ...

http://forum.mbspares.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=683 (http://forum.mbspares.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=683)
[img width=340 height=138]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/img]

The Warden

I WANT IT!!!

Ooh, I've always loved wagons...this would be the best of both worlds ;)

Des

I wonder if it is a V8...


michaeld

I could be wrong here (and God knows I often am!), but I'm a wee tad suspicious.  I notice there is no model number on the rear.  I have never heard of a 116 wagon - but I HAVE seen extremely well done conversions.  Is this a factory 116 that was available in some far off European realm, or an awesome "chop job"?  If someone knows, please educate me.

It is a beautiful wagon, in any event.  And I agree with Warden; I like wagons.  They are just such practical cars.  If MBz didn't make a 116 wagon, this car is proof they should have!

As for our more garden variety 116s, I have to say THEY are pretty darned practical.  I've been in the process of moving the last several weeks, and the storage capacity of my 450SEL is INCREDIBLE!

Des

Quote from: michaeld on 16 April 2006, 11:36 PM
I could be wrong here (and God knows I often am!), but I'm a wee tad suspicious.  I notice there is no model number on the rear.  I have never heard of a 116 wagon - but I HAVE seen extremely well done conversions.  Is this a factory 116 that was available in some far off European realm, or an awesome "chop job"?  If someone knows, please educate me.

It is a beautiful wagon, in any event.  And I agree with Warden; I like wagons.  They are just such practical cars.  If MBz didn't make a 116 wagon, this car is proof they should have!

As for our more garden variety 116s, I have to say THEY are pretty darned practical.  I've been in the process of moving the last several weeks, and the storage capacity of my 450SEL is INCREDIBLE!

This is a Crayford conversion W116, they were a UK based company that took standard old W116's and converted them into the family truck (wagon)

Must be a pretty ware vehicle here in Australia.


OzBenzHead

Quote from: Des on 17 April 2006, 01:42 AMThis is a Crayford conversion W116, they were a UK based company that took standard old W116's and converted them into the family truck (wagon)

Must be a pretty ware vehicle here in Australia.



One of three that I know of, Des; there was a local gold (and rust!) Crayford wagon locally (Byron Bay) some years ago, and there's at least one that's a funeral car (but not actually a hearse) that sold on eBay a few months ago.

The owner of that sky-blue job is John Green, the sponsor of the Ozvets forum ("Mr MB Spares & Service").
[img width=340 height=138]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/img]

Des

Here's number 4 for you Gordon:

http://www.oldtimercentre.com.au/detail.php?stocknum=1901

OzBenzHead

Oh yes - I'd forgotten about "Kermit"!  Richard's had that one sitting there for a long time now.  Perhaps people don't like the colour (no, couldn't possibly be the problem!).  First thing I'd do were I to acquire that one would be a complete change of colour.
[img width=340 height=138]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/img]

michaeld

Thanks for the skinny on the w116 stn wagon, Des and Ozbenzhead.  I should have known you'd know all the details!

I had a feeling this was a conversion; but still, the w116 makes for a nice looking wagon, doesn't it?  Interesting pics, these!

The Warden

Looking at the interior pictures raises a question...

How is the parking brake handled on RHD 116's? I didn't see a handbrake in the center console (although I could have missed it), and there doesn't look to be a pedal on the left side like there is on LHD 116's...

Thanks from an ignorant Yank! ;)

OzBenzHead

Quote from: michaeld on 18 April 2006, 01:44 AM
Thanks for the skinny on the w116 stn wagon, Des and Ozbenzhead.  I should have known you'd know all the details!

I had a feeling this was a conversion; but still, the w116 makes for a nice looking wagon, doesn't it?  Interesting pics, these!

And did you notice the RHD Gullwing? http://www.mbspares.com.au/default.asp?d=163706&p=42681 (http://www.mbspares.com.au/default.asp?d=163706&p=42681)
An Aussie conversion, that one; they were never built in RHD by the factory, so very, very rare. According to John Green (owner of the 116 wagon), the Gullwing still has its LHD steering box - now doing duty as a relay arm.

Warden: In RHD 116s, the parking brake is a handle in the dash pade, in a position similar to that of the park-brake release knob on LHD versions. It is a pull-out for "on", twist-and-release for "off" operation.
[img width=340 height=138]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/img]

Des

Gordon; is that your benz with the wooden horn pad and wooden shifter?

I have been looking around for a set of these for my 6.9

OzBenzHead

Quote from: Des on 18 April 2006, 05:50 AM
Gordon; is that your benz with the wooden horn pad and wooden shifter?

Yes, Des - that is my woody horn and my woody knob. They came with the car (from the UK) and I can tell you nothing more of their provenance. Unfortunately, they don't quite match the dash Zebrano; the horn boss is a tad too light, and the gear handle is a tad too dark and reddish.

One of these days when I've nothing better to do ... (e.g. over Easter, I spent the entire four days removing and disassembling the grilles and front bumpers, cleaning/descaling/derusting and black-enamelling their innards and backs, all because I wanted to install my mesh stoneguards for the headlamps. Once I'd started undoing bolts, one thing led to another ...)

If you're hoping to source some custom woody bits in Oz, Styria might be able to help; I seem to recall seeing burled walnut pieces on wheel and stick in his Gleaming Beauty (or was I just having a 'colourful' day when we met?).
[img width=340 height=138]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/img]

Des

This is the only steering wheel I could find:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MERCEDES-steering-wheel123-126-116-107-129-140-201-124_W0QQitemZ8034554121QQcategoryZ33705QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

looks nice but oh the price :(

would be nice matched with the horn pad in the correct wood

I would also like these door trims:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4629019749

I think Nutz on one of the other forums had custom little door locks made out of wood too, the little ones that pop up and down when you lock/unlock


I think all of these items toegther would give the interior a great look, more luxury

OzBenzHead

Des: I knew I had a link somewhere - it was just buried among a few hundred other M-B bookmarks.

Here it is - and they're in Melbourne. http://www.carshine.com.au/index.htm (http://www.carshine.com.au/index.htm).

Mind you, at $800 a wheel, I'll not be rushing them. The W107/C107/R107 wheel fits the 116.

Dunno that I go for the wood-veneer door-trim panels, though - they're just a tad over the top to my taste; not my idea of European, really (i.e. tasteful restraint). But each to his own.   :)
[img width=340 height=138]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/img]