News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

116 for sale

Started by marku, 12 February 2021, 12:22 PM

marku

1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof

ptashek

It's impossible to judge its worth with the near-Earth-orbit distance images attached to the listing.

If only had they spent half the time it took them to copy half of Wikipedia into the description on taking more and better pics...

The seats are clearly in dire need of a rebuild, and that's about as much as can be said about it.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

BCK1963

Sills in body color are always a good reason for a closer look: Did they spray the body and, once on the way, the sills as well, or did they spray new sills? Or both?

Even though black leather reveals small creases and folds more than lighter colors, this interior looks like much more than some 50.000 mls.

Both points imho give an idea of the level of care the car got.
Bernd

1976 Merc 6.9   Magnetit blue

Nabstud

Inside wheel arches have also been painted black, this car definitely needs a close inspection before considering purchase. Could be a fantastic car but as above a few details show it's had work done.
1975 280S - Australian delivered

mrkozzy

My 2 cents worth;

It hardly has any form of stone chip anywhere,             make your own deductions there.

It is an early model, (even tho it states 1976 year)  as the radio antenna is on the front drivers side, and in the early versions they didn't have the passenger exterior mirror.

It has no cruise control nor a tacho. 

It's a low spec SEL but having said that, it certainly looks good in the advt and the history seems respectable.

In "downunder" money, its expensive.      Not so sure how it stacks up in sterling.

MrKozzy

Type17

Body would need careful checking alright.

Antenna isn't a factory-fit - that's a raise/lower switch behind the gear selector (many European cars came without one), and it seems that it was (mistakenly) placed it where previous years 116s had theirs (front >'75, rear from '76). My '76 had none, but it was drilled and placed at the rear, where there is a factory electrical plug for it.

It's a '76 because it has K-Jet (first year), but has the thinner steering wheel rim that was thicker from '77 on.

No cruise or tacho, but it does have leather, electric windows, aircon and a sunroof (all extras in Europe).

The colour isn't for everyone, but if the body is genuinely good, and everything works properly, then the price isn't bad.
'76 350SE in Silver-Green

adamb

This car has been advertised more than once. I'm going to differ with some responses regarding certain points. I have seen quite a few cream/white W116s with sills painted the same colour as the body. My 1977 6.9 was white before the colour change during my ownership. It also had white sills. The leather if original looks reasonable for a 53K car. Don't forget that the leather is 45 years old and will have cracked unless treated with religious frequency. The offside wing mirror was an option in 1976. It's an optioned item I believe.

Like most vehicles in that dealership this W116 is overpriced. That doesn't mean it won't sell. At auction I believe it would fetch about £12K.

marku

The owner, the SL Shop, has a lot of credibility and their prices for parts and SLs are high but I wonder why they are not selling it themselves.

Mick74

Quote from: marku on 14 February 2021, 08:50 AM
The owner, the SL Shop, has a lot of credibility and their prices for parts and SLs are high but I wonder why they are not selling it themselves.

The SL Shop have the car advertised, so they seem to be selling it themselves. They seem to have a good reputation, although I have never had any direct dealings with them.
https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1018403
1979 6.9 #6475

marku

Good but thought the ebay listing although mentioning SL Shop was under another name.