News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

116 coupes...

Started by editjunk, 11 January 2007, 10:32 PM

editjunk

Does anyone know why Benz never made a coupe version of our cars? Obsessed as I am with the Benz coupe form, especially the bigger ones (W123 280CE and the W126SECs), I would be interested if anyone has any history to impart... and possibly a photoshop mock-up if you've got the time!

Des

I guess they didn't feel the market for it with the W114/5 and then later the W123 series coupes on the market,

you had the W107 for your sports coupe and then the larger bodies mid range cars for your customers that didn't want the 107.

i have some pictures, i will post later

oscar

Andrew would relish this opportunity, but this one I've always remembered.  It's from a Kiwi who I think goes by the name nomada on benzworld but I can't recall.  This is in the gallery and is as close to a 2 door w116 coupe as you could get.

1973 350SE, my first & fave

editjunk

Wow Oscar! Slope that rear window more andd that car is PERFECT! I knew these cars would look the stuff with two doors! Unbelievable!

oscar

If you thought the first one was good. Here's another he did.  I was going to put extra chrome strips on my grill too after seeing his.  It suits his car but not mine.  If W111/112 were made into coupes, one would think a w116 wouldn't be out of the question.

Here's a couple of related threads from benzworld and here.  It's a shame the procee link doesn't work.  I can't remember what the original pic I saw was.

Notice the clear indicators.  Wow! They look good.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w116-s-se-sel-sd-class/1222419-c116-450sec-6-9-a.html
http://forum.w116.org/index.php/topic,277.0.html

s class

I think that mercedes has always tried to have two coupes - one based on the compact models, one on the upmarket models .

In terms of the compact models, it has been :

C114/5, C123, C124, CLK

The larger models it has been

W111 coupe, C107, C126, C140 (CL), C220 (CL)

What is interesting is that the 1970's are the only time the top coupe was based on the contemporary SL rather than the comtemporary S-class.  Which makes the W116 a bit odd-  the only S-class never to have a coupe version. 

I assume MB thought it would be unnecessary to have three coupes - 1 on each of the 123, 107 and 116 platforms at the same time. 

Its my understanding that each of the S-class coupes is mechanically very similar to its contemporary 4-door variants, but subtly yet completely restyled.  More than any other S-class coupe, the W111 coupe resembles the W111 sedan and W108, but shares no panels with it.  The C126 and C140 are obviously different to the W126 and W140 respectively, the C126 being the better for it, the C140 the worse for it. 

So following this trend, my belief is that if MB had made a C116, it would not have been simply a "photoshop" edit of the W116.  It would have been a completely revised and refined body on the same mechanicals we love.  I try to image the classic and near perfect balance and harmony of the W116 body made even better, lower, more steeply raked glass, perhaps a slightly concave boot lid, a bit shorter.  Perhaps a radiator grill and lights more like the C107 or C126 than the W116. 

I guess we can dream about this forever, but I'm actually comfortable with the lack of a C116, because I prefer big four door cars, and at least I can aspire to a 6.9 knowing it is the true top of the range, without a coupe variant to tempt me. 

But by all means, Michel, bring out th emig welder.  I'd love to see your vision of a C116 in the flesh (steel).

Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

robgee

You ARE REAL MAN OSCAR HIGH FIVE ,THE GIRL IN PICTURE IS MY COUSIN'S SISTER TWICE REMOVED SHE IS THIRD BEST PROSTITUTE I KHASAKSTAN
REGARDS
BORAT
JOURNOULISTA.

oscar

Quote from: robgee on 12 January 2007, 09:25 AM
You ARE REAL MAN OSCAR HIGH FIVE ,THE GIRL IN PICTURE IS MY COUSIN'S SISTER TWICE REMOVED SHE IS THIRD BEST PROSTITUTE I KHASAKSTAN
REGARDS
BORAT
JOURNOULISTA.

Jankoooya  :D

robgee

Hey it Was a GOOD MOVIE DON'T YOU THINK,
ALL THE BEST
Rob

editjunk

Des, that warm baby poo brown coupe looks like I imagine the real thing would. I love the slope on the rear window - it looks like it would GO! All that's missing is the star in the grill and a bottle of Verve chilling in the boot, and I would take wifey for a beautiful ride.