News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

0 to 100kph?

Started by Brian Crump, 17 April 2007, 02:48 AM

Brian Crump

Has anyone ever timed their 116 from 0 to 100 kph (or equivalent)? :o
I'm curious to see how well my pulls 28 years down the track but I have never actually timed it.
Regards,
BC

Andrew280SEL

I havent yet, but in my dads 450 i stepped on the  gas and it felt quicker than 9 secs to 100 kph.
I suppose it couldnt have been, they couldnt have been wrong after all, but it did feel quicker, sort of counting in my head.
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

oscar

I've tried it a couple of times, but I keep getting sidetracked and the next thing I'm doing a 130kph and listening to the awsome sound coming from the engine.  Next time we get a few models together and a wide enough track, would be great to do a side by side comparison. 

I promise I wont have wheel hub mounted spikes Grease style
1973 350SE, my first & fave

WGB

The problem with the 350 and the 450 is the 3 speed auto which kills the initial bite off the line.

I have never driven a 6.9 but the extra torque should light things up a lot more.

Most newer cars have more gears eg 7G-tronic and the initial 0 to 30 KPH has real bite to it.

The 126's nearly always started in 2nd gear (I think the 110 does the same) unless the accelerator pedal was floored quickly or L was selected. When it left the line in 1st it was far more businesslike but would spin wheels in the wet.

Bill

Des

Andrew, was it very hard to hookup a NoS system?

I've thought about that on the 6.9, say 50HP or a 100HP kit

6.9's will do 0-100 in mid 7's, decent shot of NoS should bring that down in the 5's I'd guess.

Andrew280SEL

Sorry Des, you just made me realize i used a term wrong.

I meant to step on the gas hard. Pulled it outta my head.

I was just being naive... :-[

But your right, it would be fun.  :)

P.S I'm so ashamed right now....
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'79 450SEL 6.9

Des

thats alright mate, NoS is still a good idea, there was a 280CE in the last issue of Mercedes Enthusiast with a NoS setup.

cheapest way to get so more fun

Brian Crump

My 450 will howl to the redline when held in 1st - but I've never timed it. Always too busy looking at the stunned faces of the cabin bois who have provoked such behaviour.
Honestly constable, I was doing research for the 116 forum... :o
BC

Andrew280SEL

Quote from: Des on 17 April 2007, 03:35 AM
thats alright mate, NoS is still a good idea, there was a 280CE in the last issue of Mercedes Enthusiast with a NoS setup.

cheapest way to get so more fun

ahh yes, a 280CE. I nearly bought one not too long ago, but we've got enough cars out here as there is, and no way would i chuck out the SEL!

Quote from: Brian Crump on 17 April 2007, 03:35 AM
My 450 will howl to the redline when held in 1st - but I've never timed it. Always too busy looking at the stunned faces of the cabin bois who have provoked such behaviour.
BC

Yes, and for any 280 drivers here, if you've only ever driven it in "Drive", then put her in 'L' and really give it to her! You'd be pleasently surprised!
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'79 450SEL 6.9

gregdeklerk

Quote from: Brian Crump on 17 April 2007, 03:35 AM
BC

BC, you know enough lawyers to get you out of trouble.

Andrew116

Quote from: Andrew280SEL on 17 April 2007, 03:41 AM
Yes, and for any 280 drivers here, if you've only ever driven it in "Drive", then put her in 'L' and really give it to her! You'd be pleasently surprised!

Had a lot of fun learning what this beauty of auto trans can do...
Played a lot with going in S or L at differnet speeds (not more than recommended for either of them ::))

When I bought my 280SE it reached 100 in about 14-15 sec (new it would have been 11)  ;D

But after finding my Merc Dok... he tuned it up... and latest test showed 0-100 km:
- on petrol: 9.8 seconds (eating 30 litres at 100km on that throtlle :o)
- on LPG: 14 seconds

That's a serious emprovement. Now it does it in 12 (but tuned for more economical driving 8))

oscar

Interesting Andrew!!  I thought I was at about 10secs, but I don't know.

Here's my method for a fast takeoff in the 3spd 350.  Nothing new apart from the gear selection perhaps.

1-Start in S not L.  It'll be in first anyway, but will stay in first for longer before going into 2nd.  Trust me, it does.
2-Very firm pressure on the brake with left foot.  Slowly accelerate until it feels like your going to break something.
3-Plant the accelerator and let the brakes go.

Do I need a disclaimer?  Maybe I need to post a video  ;D

With the car running, points 1-3 should occur in a second or less if you're concerned about stressing the drivetrain.  I reckon the torque of a 6.9 would snap a flex disc or something in the diff.

Brian Crump

Oscar - video please. ;D The forum has voted to make it a library item.
If necessary, Mr De Klerk will fly to the Local Court in his Executive Lear Jet to defend you.
PS: I see Honda is about to release a Lear Jet competitor.
Regards,
BC

oscar

Video later today if I get the time ;D ;D ;D I'll make the time.

How about a 0-100-0 time. MPH or KPH, see here for an example   I think a 350 might have a chance here against a non abs 6.9

Just been perusing some other videos on youtube and realised we need more w116 home vids.  Here's a new one by a fellow 350se owner.   Nice try and before I bag the different coloured door, i need to give him full points for making an effort.  Takes a lot to make that amount of footage.  My criticism, more engine sounds and action.  Less metallica.  I've been wanting to take mine out to the mid-western highway for ages for a mad max type run vid.  My wife wont be the stunt driver or the cameraman. sorry, cameraperson.

oscar

My thoughts Michel on the 6.9 were exactly that.  Given the chance, an eager 6.9er would smoke it up on the starting line whilst the 350 putted away.  If I did to a 6.9 what I did to my 350 today I'd lose control within a few metres. 

Anyway, what time for the 350 do you reckon?  I was hoping for 9secs.  I had 9 attempts, and although I thought I got 9.88 at one stage, the rest were just that tad over 10 seconds I'm not counting it.  Besides,  using a stop watch and replaying poor quality vids are hardly they way to accurately time the runs, but I'm a bit disappointed it didn't reach 100 quicker. :'(

Oh well, enjoy the sound at least. ;D ;D .

I've picked 2 vids, both have me standing on the brakes and accelerator before pulling away.
Youtube links
First video is taking off in "S"  1st-2nd occurs at 90km/hr with foot flat to the floor.
Second video is taking off in "D"  1st-2nd occurs at 80km/hr with foot flat to the floor.

The difference in time is negligible.

FWIW, fuel 98RON, timing about 0o or TDC.  It sounds better! 26oC outside FA wind.  Will be interesting to advance the igniton during the middle of winter and try again.

EDIT: added gallery links
<a href="http://gallery.w116.org/v/fun/oscars/MOL008.wmv.html">
<a href="http://gallery.w116.org/v/fun/oscars/MOL009.wmv.html">