News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

Pics

Started by thysonsacclaim, 25 September 2012, 03:45 AM

thysonsacclaim

As you may have noticed, a lot of pics I uploaded to my private hosting are gone. This is no good, esp for people who'd like to see the images that may be helpful to them.

Anyway, this issue is not permanent. I was hosting about 475 domains before I got sick (down to 55 now) and had to divest some of my TLDs to earn money. I'll have them back up ASAP.

Til then, just wanted to apologize!

Tony66_au

All good Adam, I assume you have a backup to load onto a server to get it all up again?

Looking forward to the pics back and glad to hear you are on the mend mate

thysonsacclaim

Yes. I keep rolling backups daily, weekly and monthly (I use a modified version of this script: http://www.fortasse.com/tutorials/tutorial-automatic-backup-script/ ) using a combination of rsync, cp, tar and gzip. The database is stored on my server in a protected, inaccessible area and, emailed to a private email account I have, which I have a security token for (they're awesome, btw, I totally suggest them).

The data (php files, PHPbb3, wordpress, pics, etc) are stored and zipped online and downloaded to a local server I have at home (it's an old beast ... two dual core AMD 1800+ machines linked together in a 2U * 2 configuration).

Only issue is that it's taking a while to load everything back up. I also swapped hosting plans as I need unlimited storage and bandwidth (100 GB was not enough).

So, they'll be back.

In the mean time, I have to wait for all the stuff to upload (only have a 3 Mb/s upstream), then unpack it, make sure the directories are the same ... etc.

So I have 400 GB left to go!

Let's hope the power doesn't go out  8)

Mforcer

That is a lot of data. I don't know what is worse; the effort of continually backing up everything or the slow restore ;)
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

thysonsacclaim

Most of the data is in pictures or videos of cars etc that belong to others (unrelated to this site mostly). Hosting provider (I'm just a reseller) also has their own backups but I prefer using mine because it's usually faster.

Right now, I've had to download from the old server to my local server to make sure everything is fresh, keep most of the sites running (the ones people pay for), while gradually uploading to another server.

I cannot believe the old hosting provider does not have FXP or FXSP installed. But this is really the only situation in which I would need it I suppose...

The dailies/weeklies/monthlies run on different days, so creating points for week and month allows me to cover most of the month without covering the entire month. I'll revert back to everyday when I can, but for now odds are I have too many backups.  :o

By the way, props to ZBBlock for anyone looking for security stuff. This script is amazing.

thysonsacclaim

The pics should be up within the next few hours. It took a few days to get all of the sites and DBs transferred properly and my priority was with my customers, not my pictures.

Had to pare, compare, backup and synchronize the databases live so that the sites with heavy usage didn't have any down time.