Poll

Do you use the Service Manual Library?

Yes
3 (50%)
No
3 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: 05 December 2005, 06:51 PM

Author Topic: Not going anywhwere! The future is safe!!  (Read 2932 times)

admin

• Administrator
  • Drinks leaded fuel for breakfast
    • www.w116.org
Not going anywhwere! The future is safe!!
« on: 05 December 2005, 06:51 PM »
This is just a quick note from your friendly forum administrator to note that this forum and the site is not going anywhere and will remain as a free resource to all.

However, the future of the Service Manual Library is in question. The Service Manual Libary adds considerable cost to the hosting of this site and as the original CD is available at http://www.classictechlit.mbusa.com for USD$20 it would seem more economical for everyone that wants a copy to have their very own CD. What does everyone think?

Captain Spalding

• Enthusiast
Re: Not going anywhwere! The future is safe!!
« Reply #1 on: 05 December 2005, 07:24 PM »
Quote from: "Admin"
. . . the future of the Service Manual Library is in question. The Service Manual Libary adds considerable cost to the hosting of this site and as the original CD is available at http://www.classictechlit.mbusa.com for USD$20 it would seem more economical for everyone that wants a copy to have their very own CD. What does everyone think?

I appreciate that this board is free. I am a member of many such boards, catering to my various interests. When I find them to be valuable, and there is the option available to make a donation, I gladly do so. I am proud to support the online communities of which I am a part.

Rather than removing resources, why not consider allowing civic minded memebrs to make a donation? Although only a member of this board for a few weeks now, I have made aquaintances, learned a lot, and referred to the library on several occasions. If you had a PayPal address, I'd pony-up right now. :D

? Spalding
450SEL 6.9
'91 300GE Cabriolet GRAY MARKET

Peter Anderson

• Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: 05 December 2005, 10:49 PM »
I agree, I wouldn't mind making a contribution for the use of such a valuable resource. Keep it free and we might keep more of these great cars on the road.

simon132

• The Beast
Where to send donations?
« Reply #3 on: 06 December 2005, 09:57 PM »
I have saved much time, money, and gained much satisfaction 'working' with like minded folks here to solve my cars problems.

I would be very happy to chip in to see things go even further. The more 'resources' the better as it not going to get any easier to keep a w116 on the road.
Cheers,

Simon

admin

• Administrator
  • Drinks leaded fuel for breakfast
    • www.w116.org
« Reply #4 on: 07 December 2005, 02:41 PM »
Thank you everyone for your support. Not that it was going to be difficult but you have convinced me to keep the Service Manual Library available online. The convenience of having it online is worth it for those times when someone needs to look up something small.

I also thank everyone for making this forum such a great place to visit. I couldn't do it without you!

Regards,
Michael

oscar

• W116 Addict
« Reply #5 on: 08 December 2005, 01:05 AM »
Personally, the service manual hasn't been helpful for my 350.  I have had more assistance from that haynes manaual that's available (mind you it still doesn't cover my car adequately).  One day I may invest in the real deal service manuals.  But to date, most helpful has been the input from other members of the site.  

But boy, you should've seen my enthusiasm when I first discovered the online service manual link. It does have a place on this site.

I have no real idea on how much work or money has gone into making this site work but like styria has said previously, it's a gem, and I congratulate those that have made it what it is.  

As far as cost, whether it be accepting more advertising, selling 116 logoed hats, coffee mugs, polo shirts, member car stickers who knows, I'd be happy to make a contribution to see it maintained.  Meantime, put me down for a golf umbrella, cap and coffee mug......almost forgot.. beer holder too.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Mforcer

• Vintage
  • Freedom Fighter
« Reply #6 on: 08 December 2005, 06:40 PM »
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what they would like to see on this site? I can't promise anything but it could be worth looking into. One thing being considered is an upgraded gallery allowing better access from other sites.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200