Author Topic: chat room?  (Read 5021 times)

Des

• Vintage
chat room?
« on: 27 September 2007, 01:23 AM »
I don't know if this idea has been put forward before, but how about a live chat room?

like parachat, java embedded style chat rooms?

http://www.parachat.com/

call it "the pub" or "the garage" or something similar

would be nice to have an area where members can drop in and have some light hearted chat in real time.

thoughts?
1977 W123 230 
1977 W116 280S *new*
1980 W123 250
VW Beetle "Oval Window"
VW Golf Mk1
Volvo 240GL
Volvo 740GLE

116Benz

• Vintage
Re: chat room?
« Reply #1 on: 27 September 2007, 02:03 AM »
Yes please!
1995 Mazda MX-5
1975 280SE
1978 280SEL
1990 300SE

Des

• Vintage
« Reply #2 on: 27 September 2007, 02:58 AM »
I mean for it to replace the knowledge base of our forums, but just somewhere, where you can drop in, say hello, chat about whatever takes your fancy etc..

1977 W123 230 
1977 W116 280S *new*
1980 W123 250
VW Beetle "Oval Window"
VW Golf Mk1
Volvo 240GL
Volvo 740GLE

Andrew280SEL

• Vintage
  • I like white ;-)
« Reply #3 on: 27 September 2007, 03:01 AM »
+1 from me. :)

'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

116Benz

• Vintage
« Reply #4 on: 27 September 2007, 03:04 AM »
I'd make the time to go in and chat, I leave this running all the time as well....
1995 Mazda MX-5
1975 280SE
1978 280SEL
1990 300SE

CraigS

• W116 Addict
  • MMM100
    • My eclectic collection
« Reply #5 on: 27 September 2007, 12:43 PM »
That is one advantage (?) I have being in Turkey and the cars being in Australia. I can't just pop out to fix something as I think of it. But whenever I am in Australia, I spend all my time working on them - to the point where my brother says "Aren't you sick of working on these yet ?"

Probably why I have plenty of time for research - especially of suppliers and prices, and planning what to do next.

CraigS

• W116 Addict
  • MMM100
    • My eclectic collection
« Reply #6 on: 27 September 2007, 02:09 PM »
Yes, about 4 times a year I try and make it down under. I am never happy with any of the cars. There is always something to do - even on the Adi. My problem, if it can be called that, is that I am a perfectionist when it comes to detail, and if I can't get what I want, I will sometimes have it made. One example is the VIN/Chassis plate for the 300. Reproductions were not the right size, Font, etc. so I finally found a company in the former East Germany that was still making the Typenschilder the original way. I commissioned them to make it up as per my original plate, which was not cheap for the set-up costs, but I got what I wanted. However, as this same plate fitted every 1950's Mercedes from the 170 through to the 300's, including 190 and 300 SL's, I am now selling them to recoup my costs.

When I wanted the original screws to hold all the timber trim around the dash/windows etc. I trawled web sites looking for them, only to find out that the DIN Institute had discontinued some back in 1984. In these cases, all you can do is to get something failrly close to the original, but I am fortunate that one of the largest manufacturers in Germany is just down the road from where I stay in Hamburg, so I buy them by the 50 or 100, and will eventually make these up into sets and sell them. It helps to recover some of the restoration costs, and at the same time, it helps any restorer that doesn't know where to start to find them.

I have done the artwork for the original air cleaner decal, and also for the badge for the Bosch horns, but for some reason, it won't upload. Here is a photo of the chassis plate though. I am actually looking for someone to print the air cleaner decals  onto water slide transfer paper, so if anyone is in the printing business, or knows of someone in the business, I would appreciate any referrals. I have the artwork in Adobe Illustrator or .eps formats.

The 6.9's will eventually come in for the same treatment - it's just a matter of time and money - like everyone !

oscar

• W116 Addict
« Reply #7 on: 27 September 2007, 02:36 PM »
Craig, that was an inspiring read.  I often look at little parts or bits and pieces, then look at a picture of the relevant bit when new and wish I had the tools and knowledge to remanufacture or remake the original.  I just fluked a blue Bosch ignition coil in as new condition.  It looks so much better with the stickers intact and without scratches etc.   

Metal id plates and tags and stickers; if you end up down the road of having artwork done and repros for w116's, it will be interesting to see how much interest will come from others.   I hope you do find the need and urge to bring out a decal set for example for the w116.  May I then suggest you setup a side business involved in repro plastics.  4 wire ignition holders come to mind  ;)

As for the chatroom.  Haven't been in one for years but I like the idea of calling it "The Pub" or similar. 
1973 350SE, my first & fave

gregdeklerk

• W116 Addict
« Reply #8 on: 27 September 2007, 10:24 PM »
PB - Quantas and SAA fly between Johannesburg and Perth quite frequently. ;D

CraigS

• W116 Addict
  • MMM100
    • My eclectic collection
« Reply #9 on: 27 September 2007, 10:32 PM »
The decal sets are also an interesting one. There are quite a few sets around for earlier models - I see them on eBay and at swap meets in Germany, and they are always around $70 or EURO, but NONE of them are accurate. For example, the 300b set doesn't contain the air cleaner decal, and that was the inspiration for creating mine. Here is a scan of it.

Quite a lot of the decals are still available for the W116, but I know that there are very few left for the W108/9.. The number for each one as you know is on the bottom of the decal. What we should do is compile a list of all the decals, with their corresponding part numbers, and check what is still available and what isn't. There were also different decals for different countries, and different colours for different vehicles as we know for the fuel flap. Perhaos we can start a thread simply called Decals and everyone can enter them as they find them on their car - as long as they state the model and year.

I will be looking for the wire holders when in Germany !